• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Problems with 800 BB + SLP twins

H

hilio

Nov 28, 2007
Hi.

I´m having trouble with my IQR 800 ves. I have 2002 800 BB VES in it and SLP race twins and it runs like crap ! The motor had SLP single pipe and it´s jetted for the single pipe, i thought it would be lean but it seems to be drowning, is that the case or what do you guys think ?

This video today is taken in 8° temp and altitude of 400 meters. 520 main jets.

Please take a look at the video, i really need help to get it running right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqxbv80O6Yw

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Yeah, it doesn't sound very good.

Are you running the 2002 needles as well? If so, that sure seems awfully lean. I think SLPs recommendations for the 02 800 with twins was in the 600 range or so at your elevation.

Is the only change you made going to the twins or did you make other changes at the same time?

You checked the water temp sensor?

sled_guy

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
That's 8*C, right? So 46*F at 1300' elevation. I ran my BB800 with race twins at much higher altitude, 9,000'+ but much colder temps with 330, 320, or 310 mains and 04' needles. Took a quick rip around the yard in Minnesota at 850 feet and 15*F with that jetting (310s at the time) and it ran fine for the short throttle blips I gave it. I suspect you're too rich especially at that warm of temperature, but what needles are you using?

Like Sled_Guy asked, was the only change from single pipe to twins?

Have you taken a look at the plugs? Wet/black? Or dry/white?

Are you running the factory heads or SLP domes? Any race gas? My 800 would deto at low altitude without race gas mixed in, sometimes it would even deto around 9'k when I had the factory head with 91 octane fuel.

What e-clip are the needles on? Doesn't sound like you opened it up in that video, so may have just been on the needle circuit instead of main.

Last edited:

snownman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
that sled...

is only running on one cyl. way fat, maybe a piece of crap in one of the needle valves? Needles way off, jetting way fat? Bad plug?...

Premium Features