• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timing Switch for pump gas

J
Apr 1, 2014
I just bought a 2013 IQR and I'm trying to find out what position i need to put the timing switch at to run pump gas. The highest level octane I can get at the pump is 90. Is there a position a can set it to in order to run such a low octane? Or will I have to mix in a little race fuel or octane booster to get up to 92/93 or so?

W
Dec 24, 2008
G is the safest setting. Least amount of timing. Premix 32:1. Jet for elevation. 90 should be fine. I run 91 without issue on my trail IQR. If you want to mix in race fuel they have calculators online to reach your desired octane. Octane booster is useless.

Last edited:

sledking

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
If you run any kind of pump gas keep it on "G" setting. Any higher with pump fuel and it will detonate and scorch cylinders. Even a mix with 110 is sketchy to up the timing on them. The base timing is pretty advanced already

J
Apr 1, 2014
So it's not bad to run a little higher octane on the lowest setting? If I mix to a 94 octane or so that'd be perfect for the G setting?

SnoDmon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Lewistown, MT
Run position E. I ran mine hard for years in that position on my '09 600. Also learned that I can advance with elevation when I went to a Bikeman 800 mono conversion. I ran position D on my 800 and C at higher elevation. You will be safe at E on your 600. I start out at 4,000'. A is most advanced, G is most retarded. :devil:

edit: Run a good oil at 40:1, 32:1 is for engine break in. I recommend Red Line either 2stroke Snow or Race blend. AMSOIL Dominator is a good second choice but I could feel 1 iota of performance when I switched to Red Line Snow. Both these oils recommend 50:1 but I am just too skeptical to run that thin of a mix. :devil:

Last edited:
Premium Features