• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris denied my warranty claim on engine failure cause I moved my wiring harness

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
my primary was denied warranty on an 09 dragon. the motor i blew this weekend will probably be denied for the same reason as the primary.
Just so you know. In my world of furniture we have to send pictures in. To many people have been raping the warranty system and the manufacturers can not pay for it anymore. Warranty work went away when the recession came. I might get why but i don't like it.

S
Jan 19, 2008
middle earth (WYO)
law suit will mostlikley get a new motor......... BUT................ the same problems will continue to happen!!!
Polaris needs to come up with a fix mine had 918 miles. 130 of that after "update" or is that a recall? last season 08 D8 had slp pipe kit and no scuffing or problems. update ruined this motor!! first season was all stock and no problems. all 8000+ ft. deep powder riding. so what does that tell you!! not a dealer issue!! every one needs to understand the warranty is not fixing a poor design. slp has head for this 8 wonder if they have retro pistons too. anyone got any Idea what the change in the pistons was??

B
Dec 11, 2007
Looking at those pics of your hood you can tell why they didn't believe you when you said it was stock-Now with that said it is up to your dealer to be the eyes for Polaris. Polaris has covered a couple that i know of that did have the wiring harness moved and the dealer had to explain why it was moved and put there word on the line that the sled was stock. It sucks but looking at your hood I was wondering-and I have read both pages where you state over and over again that you didn't have a pipe. Sure is whole lot of heat for a stock pipe.

O

OLD GOAT

Nov 26, 2007
Lyons, Colorado
underhood heat

BBD9 I don't know where you ride, but you start pushing 3 feet of powder wide open at low speeds and the manufactures heat protection just doesn't work. I have seen stock polaris, ski doos and arctic cats melt under hood plastic for years. That is why my Polaris looks like c02's under the hood, foam removed for weight and heat tape in place of it.

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
my 700 with twins when rideing last year with about 6ft of fluff the vents got plugged and it got so hot under my hood my airbox melted down onto my pipes now with the new hood it sits way higher than stock hood but it still gets almost hot to touch.

but it dont matter eitherway you guys need to join together so what if he moved his wireing, so what if he changed spark plugs in it, so what if hes running an aftermarket belt, even if he did run a pipe and its back to stock there a ton of other guys out there in the near future that are going to be having the same problem posibly even you. polaris isnt going to let get away with fixing there dumbass problems well were not going to let polaris sell anymore sleds to us or any of our buds or future sleders. Its "US" who keep polaris in buisness not them

J
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho, Meridian
A little copy and paste for you maybe it will help

One Year Factory Warranty
A one-year limited warranty exists against defects in material or workmanship as determined by Polaris Sales in its sole discretion for Polaris Snowmobiles.

Products used for racing do not carry a manufacturer’s warranty.

Products used commercially or for rental purposes may carry varied warranty periods. Contact your local Polaris dealer for more information.

2nd Year Engine Warranty
The 2nd year coverage applies only to qualifying Snow Check Purchases that have engine failures due to defects in materials and workmanship as determined by Polaris in its sole discretion. Coverage automatically begins upon expiration of the original factory warranty. The 2nd year engine warranty carries a $50 deductible per repair. This warranty applies to the first 5,000 miles or two (2) calendar years from date of registration, whichever comes first. Used snowmobiles do not fall under this warranty.

The relevant legislation here, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975, protects consumers from being wrongfully denied warranty coverage by new car dealers.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states, in part, in Title 15, United States Code, Section 2302, subdivision (c):
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the [Federal Trade] Commission if —

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefore.

Under this federal statute, a manufacturer who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle is prohibited from requiring you to use a service or maintenance item, unless such item is provided, free of charge, under your warranty or unless the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) waives this prohibition against the manufacturer.

Further, under the act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not automatically void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty, or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure.

Specifically, the rules and regulations adopted by the FTC to govern the interpretation and enforcement of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act are set forth in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 16 - Commercial Practices, Chapter I - Federal Trade Commission, Subchapter G - Rules, Regulations, Statements and Interpretations under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Part 700 - Interpretations under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Contained within these rules and regulations is Section 700.10, which states:
No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, "This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized 'ABC' dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine 'ABC' parts," and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102(c) ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of "unauthorized" articles or service. This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by such "unauthorized" articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused.

Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.

Read more: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...#ixzz0fksUswZy

C
Feb 8, 2008
That sucks they deined your warranty claim for something that does not cause the kind of failure you had. All manufacters have been turning down claims for stupid reasons since the economy went south, and I wish it would go back to lets just fix it to help the customer want to buy our product again.

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
It was your dealer that made the call on it being modified...POlaris would not have known this had your dealer not offered this. IT really is important that your dealer be noted here.
IT doesnt make since for your dealer to do this as they would have made some money for doing the work...not a lot but some.

Wether it was or wasnt piped remains to be seen. The dealer and Polaris have no proof that you had a pipe on it or didnt. Having a wiring harness moved does not prove that you had a pipe. IT only proves that the wiring harnes had been moved...BTW..the wiring harness installed by Polaris defies sound judgement anyway...I found two different chaffed areas with visable conductors showing in mine. Check where the hood steal cables rub right on the harness. Also under the plastic electronics cover V-Reg area...Poo had wires layed on metal edges that were rubbing thru..Polaris take note!

Make this easier on your self...contact your states Attorney Generals Consumer Protection division...they can file an inquiry with Polaris at no charge to yourself.

Also having some or any Mods has ZERO revelant bearing to the probablity that a pipe was installed....I know of a few Turbo Sleds that only use the stock pipe (yes the output flange was modified)

Last edited:
D
Dec 9, 2009
kenai AK
I just took my 09 d8 in for warranty work all was going well, then polaris requested pics of the airbox,engine, and the underside of the hood. I havent heard back yet but pretty sure they will not cover the repairs and I have a great dealer. Bottom line unfortanatly is if you take your sled in it better apear stock, that means wire's routed in the stock location foam replaced under the hood and all stock parts, they are looking for anything to deny claims which completely sucks **s.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
As a dealer I find these two claims hard to believe. How in hell would Poo know that the wiring harness was moved? How would they know that the k&n filter was even there? The dealer should have known what to do, plus I've never had a claim denied that I really thought was Poo's fault. One time in all the claims I had to email the head of warranty plus the ceo and it then was covered. I read somewhere that someone from another state put extended warranty on and put a claim in and because it's a different company it went right threw, I think I heard that once.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Premium Features