• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ditch running in Alberta

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
I read in a semi-local newspaper the other day that riding in the ditch is illegal, I haven't heard of this before, I've seen plenty of people in the ditch, haven't seen the cops do anything. The local shop uses the ditch for their test/tune track.

The local sledding club "River Runners", grooms part of the ditch, so I'm really confused.

The paper talked of how one guy is hoping to get some land for off road vehicle use - 300 acers, but because "riding in the ditch is illegal" you can't ride on and use, you have to tow on and then you can use the land.

It's been a while since I read the provincial regs, and will have to go find the proper one again, but I remember seeing that i could ride in the ditch and on crown land, just not private land(without permission), and that towns/citys can only put certain restrictions on where they can prohibit riding.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Sherwood Park
Not sure on the Regs but here in Sherwood Park (Strathcona County) they have cops on sleds and quads giving out fines for riding anywhere in the county. I think the small towns do not care but apparently up here they do not like to let people have a little fun with there familys......

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
No cops on sleds here :p We have spots in town where they let you cut through to get gas and food.. all three ways into town on their "map" come from highway ditches...

Throttle-Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Lethbridge Alberta
www.leekseeker.com
Here's your answer.

Under the Traffic Safety Act the definition of a "highway" includes; a street, alley, pathway, public accessed parking lot, dirt road, highway and the list goes on. Basically anywhere the general public has access to by motor vehicle is defined as a highway.

The portion of the highway as you and I think of it (highway #21 for example) is inclusive from fence line to fence line. And as we all know, there is no operation of an off road vehicle permitted on a highway in Alberta. On the other side of the fence line is usually private property (farmer or CN or CP Rail). We are supposed to be getting permission to sled on these area's as well.

I like most of us grew up riding ditches and it was 'tolerated'. The only time I've seen police get ansy about this was on a divided highway (#2) and guys were riding in the middle median. However as times are changing, it appears as though some of the municipalities have become less 'tolerant' of sledders in ditches. I hope this helps clear up any misconceptions.

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Ahh ok, yeah, up here I think the local municiplatities here have decided to let it be, and only harrass riders for proof of insurance/registration, and pull you over if you're reckless riding.. I just found out our RCMP here have 2 RMK's :p

R
Nov 26, 2007
COSTCO
it all depends on the county i know the county of Lac Saint Anne youre alowed to ride in the ditches as long as you keep youre speed under 60 km lol and i think woodlands county has the same rules , so id just check with youre county mounty next time you see him around and is in a good mood

Throttle-Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Lethbridge Alberta
www.leekseeker.com
it all depends on the county i know the county of Lac Saint Anne youre alowed to ride in the ditches as long as you keep youre speed under 60 km lol and i think woodlands county has the same rules , so id just check with youre county mounty next time you see him around and is in a good mood

Certain municipalities / counties can create by-laws to deal with this type of issue if they 'choose'. However, the legislation that overides county / municipality by-law in Alberta is Provincial legislation, and it states that there is to be no off-highway vehicle operating on a highway - and a highway is defined as 'fence line to fence line' and the other areas I spoke of above where the public has general access. Officers have descretion whether or not to enforce this law based on what is acceptable in certain areas, complaint loads and other factor's.

An example is that there is usually zero tollerance in larger urban centers (Edmonton, Red Deer, Calgary, Lethbridge etc). Rural areas are more lax and Officers usually 'choose' other means of enforcement based on how acceptable it is in that area. The definition I quoted above is what governs Officers charges. This definition is a crucial element to proving the charge of "operating an off-highway vheicle on a highway".

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
The wife was thinking of riding from Athabasca down to Wetaskiwin on sled one day... would be a fun ride, all i the ditches, would have to plan the route just right for paths ans fuel stops.... prolly have to drive the route first...

Officier:"You know you can't ride in the ditch right?"
Me:"Really? But up in Athabasca they have a map that tells us where in town we can ride to get to gas stations from the ditchs. Hmm well we're 150-200km away from home... any chance you can let us go with a warning this time?"

hehe

T
I ride in athabasca mainly... around baptist lake and the trans canada trail runs in the ditch up there so I dont understand that at all. We always ride in the ditches and have never ran into a problem. My dad wants to ride from morinville up to the lake... if there was more snow he would have done it by now. I have heard of people riding from just outside st.albert all the way to athabasca so i think your ride will be do able.

Premium Features