• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 800 won’t start

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
2011 800 won’t start

2011 cfr 800. Shut off for dinner at the bar and won’t restart. Has spark. Fuel pump pumps full and builds pressure at the rail. Sled will run with gas in cylinder, but won’t continue to run. Tried to jump injectors with battery sounded like it released pressure on rail. But still won’t start. Any ideas? Thinking about pulling injectors and seeing if they are plugged. Can’t remember if these had any fuses and can’t find any fuses either.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I have had a couple of sets of injectors get plugged during storage over the summer. I just pull them, soak them in injector cleaner overnight, re-install and that has worked every time so far.

Seems rather odd to have it do this after riding it though. Unlikely they plugged up while it as sitting there.

Good Luck

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
Plugs were a little damp, but still would fire with additional fuel. I put all new plugs in and they still get a bit wet and will barely fire with additional fuel being added to the cylinder. This sled was dropped off to me like this to see if I could help figure the issue out.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
The plugs are damp, so there's obviously fuel.

But you need to add fuel for it to start so that sounds like the cylinders are dry.

I'm a little stumped.

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
Same here. Maybe spark is a little week? I will have to start ohmmetering everything I suppose

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Let me know if you narrow it down to coils. I have some proclimb ones that might be the same part.

If you can see spark, it should be firing though. Sounds eerily similar to the problem I had with my 2016 (hence why I have extra coils)

How many plugs did you check? All 4? Check spark on all 4?

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Any chance of foul-play while you were in the bar eating dinner, like sugar added to the fuel tank?? I hope not, but it crossed my mind as there is alot of crazies out & about.

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
I have checked spark on two plugs, front ones on each cylinder. Changed all 4 plugs as hopefully a quick fix

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Weak stator makes them hard to start, but usually the stator gets weaker when it warms, and stronger when it cools, so it'll start again when it's cold. I have a TM8 that only starts cold if I unplug the oil pump for the turbo, which gets it's power from the fuel pump circuit. It'll do the same thing occasionally when it gets hot. I'm barely getting 12v at idle on that sled, whether the pump is plugged in or not, so I'm sure the stator is weak. My other M8 carries mid-13v's at idle.

Try this: Unplug the fuel pump and run it off a 12v battery. See if the sled starts. Or check fuel pressure and make sure you're actually getting to ~44psi.

If the fuel pump is only getting ~10v max when you pull it over, you may not be making proper fuel pressure, and hence not getting proper fuel for startup.

Through if that was the case, it should fire and run with a little more fuel in the cyl...

Premium Features