• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 Chevy Duramax-Good Used Truck?

G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
I have an opportunity to buy a 2008 Chevy Duramax 2500, it is from a guy I know that has always taken good care of everything he owns. It is the 4 door LTZ package with 141k miles on it.

I know a lot of people that I work and sled with that run diesel's but have not owned one yet personally. Our sled puller is my dads 06 Cummins and it has been a great truck, had to get the tranny rebuilt at 115k miles but about 105k of the 115k have been pulling the enclosed 28ft trailer over the summit every weekend during winter.

Not looking for people's opinion on which brand they think is best, don't care. Just looking for your honest opinion on the good and bad experiences from people who've owned or have been around an 08 or similar year Duramax.

Don't plan on towing very much It'll just be a backup Sled puller in a pinch if the Dodge had an issue. Considering a diesel because he is ordering a 15 Duramax, and is offering it to me for less then dealer trade in. And I'm not gonna lie diesels are more fun to drive then gassers. Thanks in Advance!

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
Definitely good pickups. I run a 09 and never had an issue. Check injector rates and go from there. There's all kinds of info over on duramaxforum. Happy purchasing!

S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
Excellent trucks! I've owned 2 different duramax trucks my newest being my 2012 and love it..
I believe ford and dodge are great trucks as well, the duramax is just a great fit for me as it has a smoother ride and I don't tow much either. You won't be disappointed

G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
Duramax

Thanks for your help guys. I know some guys tell me not to buy a certain year of truck because they changed the motor for the worst. In the Duramax Truck 07' to 2010 which year is better to buy and why? Out of the 141k miles this truck has run it towed for less then 10k of the 141k. How long will the Allison tranny last if I service it as needed. What do I need to know about the motor maintinance. Injectors go bad after how many miles? Thanks guys for your help.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
I bought an 08 dually brand new. Have 63,000 on it now. Had to replace two door lock actuators and I replaced the intake filter with an aftermarket setup. I would have problems driving in snowy conditions. The intake filter would plug up solid with snow and go into limp mode. Since I put the AFE intake in, I haven't had a problem. Mine has been good. I don't want to move to a newer truck and deal with the def fluid. Eventually I might not have a choice. Maybe when I'm ready for a new truck, they will have a better system than the def.

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
When you say 07 is it the new body style or old? I personally like the older body style. the beds are stronger and the way the back seat folds down makes for a larger and flatter area. Other than that both years are great. 07 to 10 new body styles have the exhuast filter system on them that ussaly works well as long as there driven, but you are limited to running ULSDl fuel. ( no heating oil)

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
I bought an 08 dually brand new. Have 63,000 on it now. Had to replace two door lock actuators and I replaced the intake filter with an aftermarket setup. I would have problems driving in snowy conditions. The intake filter would plug up solid with snow and go into limp mode. Since I put the AFE intake in, I haven't had a problem. Mine has been good. I don't want to move to a newer truck and deal with the def fluid. Eventually I might not have a choice. Maybe when I'm ready for a new truck, they will have a better system than the def.
DEF is not much more hassle than "dealing" with washer fluid and you fill it about as often.

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
DEF is not much more hassle than "dealing" with washer fluid and you fill it about as often.
Meh beg to differ... When it freezes up, throws codes, and sends you into limp mode on the way home in the middle of nowhere. Glad I'm deleted.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Meh beg to differ... When it freezes up, throws codes, and sends you into limp mode on the way home in the middle of nowhere. Glad I'm deleted.

Your signature says you have a 2009 GMC. You never had it to begin with. Different truck?

Honestly the DEF argument is overplayed. There are very few issues to be had with it. Fill it up at each oil change. If you're doing extended oil changes then add it once in between.

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
Your signature says you have a 2009 GMC. You never had it to begin with. Different truck?

Honestly the DEF argument is overplayed. There are very few issues to be had with it. Fill it up at each oil change. If you're doing extended oil changes then add it once in between.
Yea I have a deleted lmm. Dad on the other hand has had 2 lml and both have had issues with def.

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
Just my opinion but how well the DEF system works can be base on climate and wether you have a heated garage. Def was designed to freeze, the problem is how long does it stay froze. There are 3 heaters in the system, when the truck is started the heaters turn on if its cold enough. After a certain period of time ( that I dont know ) the system is expected to spray and lower NOX by 70%. problem is the heaters do not thaw the whole tank, only the line to the injector and around the pump. If after a couple days or a weak the fluid gets warm enough to thaw out complettlythe the pump always has fluid available. If it stays froze for weaks or months ( which is comon in Alaska ) it creates a air pocket and then you run the risk of burning up a heater or pump. If the computer expects to see lower NOX and its not then starts the process of setting warnings and derates. Fred

vincebarnett

Lifetime Membership
Jan 25, 2010
Fairbanks Ak
I have an 08 tuned and deleated, with 120,000 miles. Been an awesome truck literally zero problems with it. I keep buying parts I think I'll need to replace soon go to tear into it only to find out I can go another 50k before service. Also don't belive the myth you can't run heating oil in a new diesel. I fill up weekly with it now for over 60 thousand miles.... Still runs great. I daily drive and tow very often, the allison should still be good for a long time unless it's been limped a few times by an aggressive tune. Otherwise don't hesitate to buy.

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
The problem with heating oil is it plugs the exhaust filter. It has high ash content, this is something that can not be burned out on its regens like soot. If yours is deleted you wont have this problem.

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
Isn't heating oil the same as red fuel that we run in tractors? Cuz if that's the case, there ain't no difference in fuel, only difference is dye for tax purposes

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
After rereading your post I understand what your saying. I do beleive heating oil and off road diesel might be different. It depends on local laws. Here I think our heating oil is considered Low Sulfer which is 500 PPM sulfer and the diesel at the pumps is Ultra Low Sulpher which I beleive is 20 PPM. They had talked about passing laws to make heating oil ULSD to help with emisions in the winter, but dont think it happened. But that is here. Who knows what there doing in different states. Fred

G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
2008 Chvrolet Duramas2500 (Good) used truck

Have opportunity to by a customers Chevrolet. 2500 Duramax. It is 2008 LTZ 4 Door with all the good stuff. Air bags exaust, 4 inch lift, automatic folding steps, 20 chrome wheels with new 35 Toyo tires all around.. Etc. Etc.

The truck has 141k miles with 10k towing. Does the tranny hold up with this amount of miles, he towed a ski boat and a small toy holler to Moab. Any injector issues with this year of truck? New to the diesel world. And he is selling it to me at trading in wholesale. Thanks in advance.

Premium Features