• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 RAM 1500 TURBO DIESEL V6

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
Well, the obvious trend of high springtime diesel prices is back on track. By the time you can actually get your hands on a 2014 half ton diesel, it'll probably be next winter, and hopefully we'll be back to more reasonable prices.

R

rmk01r1der

Apr 30, 2008
ND
Yeah a guy can sure hope so. Just made the switch from a duramax to a Ford F150 with the Eco. Sick of paying a dollar more a gallon and expensive oil changes, but don't get me wrong its hard to beat a diesel :D

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
yeah I'm having second thoughts about buying a new diesel for my "Nice" vehicle. Shoulda bought a used diesel for another farm truck, and just bought a new half ton GMC instead.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
If they can keep the price in line with the Eco or the big v8s it will be a hit. Well as long as they get good mileage. Iirc the jeeps with the 3 liter didn't do very well on mileage.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Thats great news.

Should be a great combo, especially with the 8 speed automatic.

I'm very interested to see how it compares to the Ecoboost.

I'm guessing its not going to be as fast in a drag race but should get much better mileage.

The Ram may replace my Ecoboost when my lease is up.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I wonder if the diesel option will still have the coil spring rear end on the 1500. I would think that might be a limiting factor for heavier load purposes such as hauling or towing if that is what you are buying the truck for. I know, buy the 2500/3500, but I think with the capability of the 1500/diesel, the rear suspension might need some attention too.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Saw this today. Interesting. Kudos to Dodge.

Rumor has it the next gmc Canyon will be a diesel. Probably To small for most but if you tow a camper and two place you'll be set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

MGM

Dec 2, 2007
Southern Idaho
Interesting to see how this will play out...glad to see someone take the plunge.

First off it's at least going to be a $3-4k option, no other way. And the fact that in its current form it makes 125HP less and the same torque as an Eco-Boost all the while costs a bit more for fuel.

I'm assuming it will have different tuning and my guess is they'll bump the TQ to 450 by production time, but wondering if the added initial cost and the fuel mileage will be enough to overcome.

Ford has has their 4.4L diesel ready for years but pulled the plug in 09 due to economy/fuel, I wonder if they'll finally stuff it in there?

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
I'm really hoping for at LEAST a 20mpg highway rating. I think that's being fairly realistic. My dad recently bought a 2013 GMC 1500 with the 5.3 flexfuel in it and I don't think he's seeing anything over 16mpg, if that. I'm sure this new diesel will be able to provide better mileage than that. Even if it is only around 20mpg, I don't think the extra cost for the motor will scare vary many people away.

So just to guess, a fairly well equipped version of the new 1500 with the diesel would probably be around $38,000 MSRP, so real hard money, you could probably end up in one for around $32,500 or so. I would definately be sold on one. I'd replace the new 1 ton diesel with an older work truck and buy a new 1500 diesel for cruising.

I can't wait to see more info on the new 1500. Really interested in options and how the 2014 will actually look.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
With the new 8-speed autos, that ought to be a pretty nice option to keep the motor in its power range during acceleration, then let it relax in OD on the open road.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I've been wondering about the half ton diesels. I'm just not sure what you are going to get. You take the same body truck with a smaller HP diesel motor. You should get slightly better MPG's than the HD version, but with less power and less pulling and cargo capacities. I bet a loaded Dodge 1500 Cummins vs loaded Dodge 2500 Cummins won't be more than $5K difference. Maybe 2 mpg better but otherwise a much lesser truck. It might park better and ride softer. I just wonder how well these half ton diesels will take off.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
I've been wondering about the half ton diesels. I'm just not sure what you are going to get. You take the same body truck with a smaller HP diesel motor. You should get slightly better MPG's than the HD version, but with less power and less pulling and cargo capacities. I bet a loaded Dodge 1500 Cummins vs loaded Dodge 2500 Cummins won't be more than $5K difference. Maybe 2 mpg better but otherwise a much lesser truck. It might park better and ride softer. I just wonder how well these half ton diesels will take off.

First off, it's not the same body style. A 1500 should be a tighter, slightly more aerodynamic body than a bulkier 2500/3500, and also should weigh less. It will probably have plenty of power, just won't be a good candidate for heavy trailers.

Second, its not a Cummins, its a 3-liter turbo V-6 from Italy's VM Motori.

Premium Features