• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

In Helmet PTT Setup

TecCrash

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2017
Middleton, ID
Has anyone found a good PTT system to use with in helmet mic and headsets? Everything I have been finding has the screw down collars on the plugs. I'm looking for simple plug in and out style. I know I'm a big enough of a dork I will continually forget to unhook the PTT button and tear the thing from the handle bars. We're currently studying for our Technicians license so we haven't even tried out the speaker/mic setups that came with these Baofengs.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

TecCrash

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Here is a link to the headset we use for the ATVs.
Unless you are just trail riding, I don't recommend this for snowmobiling as it does have a cord that goes down to the PTT button that attaches to the handlebar. This would get ripped off or the cord broken very quickly if mountain riding.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D4MIR4...olid=1P36ZE5NJQK2K&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Recommended for snowmobiling is this shoulder mic. Radio goes in backpack and mic attached to backpack strap. Works perfectly!!!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z4X3MM...olid=1P36ZE5NJQK2K&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

For studying for your Technicians license, i used the following links. You can study, or take a practice test, and see where you need to study more.

Here is a link for study or practice tests. Easy to use site! :)
https://hamstudy.org/tech2018

Here are all the questions with the correct answer letter shown for each question (A) (B), (C), (D) - yes, that is 77 pages. Questions start on page 3
http://ncvec.org/downloads/2018-2022 Tech Pool 2nd Errata 02122018.pdf

Good luck! :)

TecCrash

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2017
Middleton, ID
Yea those are the sets I've been looking at. When the wife is with me, she thinks the PTT would be cool to be able to talk as we rode, but you understand the issues I see about getting torn off. If I could find one that has just a standard pull apart connector it might work better. If not I may just attach the PTT to my shoulder straps of my pack.

I have the standard mic that came with the units, but the platinum is probably what we will end up with for when the guys ride.

Thanks for the links, I'm using the Hamstudy one now, but the other will really be helpful.

Thanks

TecCrash

mtsunstrum

Premium Member
May 29, 2016
Hi TecCrash,

You can look at KONNECT PRO+ headphone.
See konnectadventure.com

It can work nicely with your Baofengs and provides a PTT button remote right on your helmet.

Thanks.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I looked at this one, but don't think it would be easy or convenient to operate the PTT button on the helmet as taking your hand off the handlbar to push the button while riding might be a problem :) And i definitely don't want voice operated . . . just PTT.

Ideally, there would be a PTT button on the handlebar, mic and speakers in the ear pockets, radio in the backpack, and all connected via bluetooth.

Right now i have a "wired" version of this for ATV riding, and it works VERY well, but i would NOT want wires coming from the helmet and handlebar PTT button for snowmobiling. So having no wires would be the BEST way to go and far more convenient.

Hoping someone will come up with a good solution soon :)

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I looked at this one, but don't think it would be easy or convenient to operate the PTT button on the helmet as taking your hand off the handlbar to push the button while riding might be a problem :) And i definitely don't want voice operated . . . just PTT.

Ideally, there would be a PTT button on the handlebar, mic and speakers in the ear pockets, radio in the backpack, and all connected via bluetooth.

Right now i have a "wired" version of this for ATV riding, and it works VERY well, but i would NOT want wires coming from the helmet and handlebar PTT button for snowmobiling. So having no wires would be the BEST way to go and far more convenient.

Hoping someone will come up with a good solution soon :)
Been out for a while already.
https://www.ebay.com/p/ChatterBox-X...luetooth-Intercom-Wireless-PTT-Kit/1678271000

Legends ZX2 SR

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho

I have used the SENA bluetooth units before and they have VERY short range. This Chatterbox looks to be the same with short range.

What i am looking for is a kit that has a wireless PTT button that can be mounted on the left handlebar, 2 wireless speakers and a mic in the helmet, and be able to connect this wirelessly to my Baofeng UV5R radio that stays in my backpack. I am assuming there would need to be a little contraption that plugs into the radio itself (2-pin kenwood style connector) that communicates via bluetooth with the PTT and mic/speakers.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I have used the SENA bluetooth units before and they have VERY short range. This Chatterbox looks to be the same with short range.

What i am looking for is a kit that has a wireless PTT button that can be mounted on the left handlebar, 2 wireless speakers and a mic in the helmet, and be able to connect this wirelessly to my Baofeng UV5R radio that stays in my backpack. I am assuming there would need to be a little contraption that plugs into the radio itself (2-pin kenwood style connector) that communicates via bluetooth with the PTT and mic/speakers.
The Chatterbox x1 slim and x2 slim are both Gmrs/Frs, just like Motorola, garmin, BCA, baofeng, etc.....
Range is great.
I have the x1 slim. It worked well when i took my kid snowmobiling. And u can talk to anyone with a GMRS/FRS radio.
Mount it to ur helmet. Speakers and mike work well. No wires exposed.
It also has an FM tuner so u can listen to music. Connect it to ur phone via bluetooth and u can listen to music and talk on the phone while riding...

Legends ZX2 SR

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
The Chatterbox x1 slim and x2 slim are both Gmrs/Frs, just like Motorola, garmin, BCA, baofeng, etc.....
Range is great.
I have the x1 slim. It worked well when i took my kid snowmobiling. And u can talk to anyone with a GMRS/FRS radio.
Mount it to ur helmet. Speakers and mike work well. No wires exposed.
It also has an FM tuner so u can listen to music. Connect it to ur phone via bluetooth and u can listen to music and talk on the phone while riding...

Legends ZX2 SR

Do you know what the power (wattage) output is on these? The antennas look very short so i would wonder about the range that these would have.

M
May 10, 2019
Unless you are just trail riding, I don't recommend this for snowmobiling as it does have a cord that goes down to the PTT button that attaches to the handlebar. This would get ripped off or the cord broken very quickly if mountain riding.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D4MIR4...olid=1P36ZE5NJQK2K&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Recommended for snowmobiling is this shoulder mic. Radio goes in backpack and mic attached to backpack strap. Works perfectly!!!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z4X3MM...olid=1P36ZE5NJQK2K&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

For studying for your Technicians license, i used the following links. You can study, or take a practice test, and see where you need to study more.

Here is a link for study or practice tests. Easy to use site! Here you can find different research articles https://edubirdie.com/buy-dissertation with numerous facts and numbers. Very helpful for those who want to learn something new :)

Here are all the questions with the correct answer letter shown for each question (A) (B), (C), (D) - yes, that is 77 pages. Questions start on page 3

Thanks for great links to very useful resources. I have never been using communications while I was on the ride. But some of my friends experienced some problems while on the ride because ther were without any communication. After that, I thought that it will be a lot safer to have some communication and I started to read as many tutorials and other stuff as possible.

Last edited:
D
Jun 13, 2019
My wife and I love skiing in the Alps and we have tested a lot of different PTT systems, and I can tell you this, the one that costs more is better. As strange as it sounds, but it is a fact! :spider:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
My wife and I love skiing in the Alps and we have tested a lot of different PTT systems, and I can tell you this, the one that costs more is better. As strange as it sounds, but it is a fact!

Is this An In Helmet PTT Setup? I think that is the only way it would work inside a helmet when riding a snowmobile.

I can't tell by the picture, and i am definitely not going to click on the picture (which is a link to a website i never heard of).

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Dont click on that link in the post above ^ ^ ^
Just hover over it (dont click), and look at the pop up at the bottom left of your screen. You can see it will take you to a site about research papers . . . stupid scammers!!!!

M
Dec 4, 2010
I have Chatterbox X2 Slim.... with the bluetooth PTT on handlebars. The PTT is pretty flawless, rechargeable, and lasts for multi day rides between charges.

Output power on GMRS channels is 2 watts, FRS channels is 0.5W

Range is reasonable, especially if you have clear line of site. If you have significant obstacles such as rocks in the signal path range is going to be shortened, but an additional 3 watts of power is not going to make a significant difference.

Note that the channel assignments frequencies for GMRS on the chatterbox are the same as other GMRS radios including HAM handheld radios. (Note the Ham handhelds may exclude GMRS frequencies as they are usually non-compliant with the GMRS requirement of a non-removable antenna) So to interact with Mountain Lab GMRS/FRS handheld radios:
Channel 1-7 are the same, but only broadcast at 0.5 watts from the Chatterbox.
Channels 8 - 14 on the mountain lab radios, are channels 16 -22 on the Chatterbox, but only transmit at 0.5W for each radio
The following channel pairs are 2 watts on both radios, but not the same channel
Mountain Lab 15 = Chatterbox 11
Mountain Lab 16 = Chatterbox 8
Mountain Lab 17 = Chatterbox 12
Mountain lab 18 = Chatterbox 9
Mountain lab 19 = Chatterbox 13
Mountain lab 20 = Chatterbox 10
Mountain lab 21 = Chatterbox 14
Mountain lab 22 = Chatterbox 15

So for maximum range use channels 15 through 22 on Mountain lab (corresponding to channels 8-15 on Chatterbox) but using the mapping above.

Also if you are using CTSS privacy codes (squelch codes) Chatterbox only supports 1-38 and they match up with Mountain labs first 38

Mike

P

pattyblack

Banned
Dec 27, 2022
New York
Psychology has become one of the most popular and important subjects nowadays. It helps to understands the basic behaviour of individuals. However, for a better understanding of this discipline university or college students have to write a lot of essays. Here you can find great psychology essay example that you may use in the future.

M
Amazon product ASIN B01D4MIR46
Amazon product ASIN B00Z4X3MM6
For studying for your Technicians license, i used the following links. You can study, or take a practice test, and see where you need to study more also check write my assignment for me uk for more Support.

Here is a link for study or practice tests. Easy to use site! :)
https://hamstudy.org/tech2018

Thank for this Useful Support. THis is gonna save my lot of time

Premium Features