• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cameras Used Snowmobiling

P
Nov 26, 2007
Denver, CO
My last digital camera, a Fuji finepix550 gave up the ghost, so I am in the market for a new one. Mostly use it snowmobiling to capture wrecks, sticks, etc. But sometimes the occasional jump or whatnot.

Thinking about investing in DSLR, but am worried that the manual shutter and whatnot might not take the abuse. Anybody use a DSLR, how do you cary it, and troubles?

What would be a good compact digital. I have been looking and reading reviews, and I am hoping someone else already did the work and came to some conlcusions.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Roger

J
Sep 21, 2005
Peace River, Alberta
Well, i'm no Graham or Veedy, so I just bought a cheap Cannon Powershot A 550. Works good for what I need, takes short vids, is compact enough to fit in a pocket, and cheap enough that if I lose it, i'd only cry a little bit...

B
Nov 21, 2007
Jackson WY
I use a Pentax Optio w20. Small, waterproof and shockproof, can make short videos, and easy to use. Takes much better shots than the Nikon Coolpix that I used to use.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I use a Sony cybershot, it takes really good pics. The only thing I don't like about it is the zoom isn't that good.

same goes for my cybershot. Mine's taken a beating (had it 4 years or so) and it still takes decent pics, but the zoom does suck.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
i Bought my camera after talking with my boss who does photography. Panasonic Lumix DSC-LS70. It's relativly flat front and back with no sharp edges to snag in the pocket. 7.2 megapixes at around $150. I take it with me archery hunting and either toss it in my pack or stick it in a coat pocket. I like the digital display to check my trail camera photos by swapping memory cards. I think it's pretty good for what I use it for. I bought mine for $148 at Best Buy in April. I think if you check pricegrabber.com or grobux.com you find you can find them cheaper elswhere and even some refurbished ones if you want to stay around $100.

Review
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/ls70.html

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Olypis stylis.
Waterproof, small, fits in your pocket and takes great pictures.

RBsfield.jpg

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Olypis stylis.
Waterproof, small, fits in your pocket and takes great pictures.

RBsfield.jpg

I'm with Ollie, get the Olympus Stylus 720. It is waterproof to 10' and is shock proof from a 10' fall as well.

I got the camera for my wife who has to date:
1. Dropped the camera off the dock into 12' of water (Camera survived perfectly)
2. Dropped the camera from a 10' ledge onto concrete (Camera survived just fine)

The camera has a stainless steel housing and takes short videos if you want to.

I cannot say enough about this camera, I love it.

Can't remember exactly what I paid for it, I think it was in the $375 range? but I would have bought at least two cameras by now if I had anything else.

Premium Features