• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Search & Rescue Info - Avy Danger

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
T
Jan 11, 2008
TX
Last edited:

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Well, it's that time of year again (seems like its been a long time), but by reading all the posts, thanks to Fynn for getting things rolling in a BIG way, everyone is prepping sleds and gear for the upcoming season. Tim thought it might be a good idea to start brainstorming on some survival kit ideas and just general discussion on the topic. I think this works better when everybody puts in their .02 cents. I did start one last year in the General section and there were alot of folks that had some great ideas and really added to the post, but here goes for this riding season.

Backpack essentials: small compass, rope, lighter or water proof matches, extra socks and gloves, leatherman or knife, small mirror for signaling (if anyone is interested I will show you how to use it), Water, high energy bars or candy, small first aid kit, vaseline and cotton balls, tampons ( I know, but they work well for taking fuel from your tank to start a fire), space blanket, GPS/Radio, extra battery's, small folding saw (the ones in the shovel handle work ok but their kinda flimsy, right B/F?), Survival shovel, C/L to help forget your in a survival situaton, small poncho, whistle, knit cap. These are some things to start with, however everyone chime in on extra stuff. Next, how to survive the situation.
First of all keep your head, 95% of surviving is keeping your cool. Shelter is probably the next most important. Riding up in Chama there are lots of pine trees which are a great survival aid. The limbs make great shelters as well as keeping you dry. This is where the saw and rope come in handy. Find a tree with low hanging bows and cut them off. You'll want to use them to sit on as well as making a lean to, not to mention once you get a fire going if you put one or two on the fire they create a great deal of smoke that will help rescue teams find you. There's alway the sled to burn if you have to, creates lots of black smoke so people can find you. Just make sure it is insured, also gives you a good reason to go buy a new one. Another important thing to remember is stay dry. While building a shelter and fire your working up a sweat, remove some layers of clothing to cool off a bit. If weather is good, your just lost, try to get to a large open area. It is extremely hard to find someone, even from the air, if your down in the trees. Being here in New Mexico, we have the best trained search and rescue guys in the world at Kirtland AFB with some of the most sophisticated helicopters in the world as well. Trust me, if the weather is good, they will come looking for you. These are just a few ideas to get the thread going.

T
Dec 14, 2007
Alamosa, CO
I know some of you guys don't ride with a beacon but it would be nice if everyone had one. Watch this video. It gave me chills. The helmet cam was running when he got buried.

http://vimeo.com/6581009

It would indeed be nice if everyone wore a beacon. A lot of people have died in avys that didn't have to.

One example I can think of happened last winter on Blance Peak not too far from my house. A couple of people were climbing up there and an Avy buried one of them. The other ended up on top. Long story short, he couldn't find her and the body wasn't recovered till the following spring. They think that she wasn't buried very deep at all. Just enough. They were way too far away from help and he was her only shot. Had these people had beacons, he probably could have found her and they would both be alive today.

IMO everyone who rides in the mountains should have a beacon and know how to use it. Yes, they are kinda expensive but it's a small price to pay for saving your life or that of someone else. IMO it doesn't make much sense for some people in a group to have a becon on and others no to. If the worst happens and the one person not wearing a beacon happens to be the one buried, the guys that are wearing beacons aren't going to have much of a chance of finding him. Always remember that these things can happen at any time and sometimes where you would least expect it. Never make the mistake of thinking it can't happen to you.

T
Nov 27, 2007
Los Alamos, NM
To piggy back on what you said about the beacons, my wife would be ROYALLY pissed if the rest of the guys didn't have beacons but I was wearing mine and you didn't find me.

Trust me, you don't want to piss off the little lady.

T
Jan 11, 2008
TX
To piggy back on what you said about the beacons, my wife would be ROYALLY pissed if the rest of the guys didn't have beacons but I was wearing mine and you didn't find me.

Trust me, you don't want to piss off the little lady.
So roll call who has a beacon.

I have owned 2 a BCA and a SOS will be getting the BCA 2 in November when its available.

T
Nov 27, 2007
Los Alamos, NM
Mammut Pulse Barryvox here. It has a nice function that will allow you to see other beacons that transmit "health" information of the buried person. For example, if you had the ability to see that (e.g. you're using another Mammut beacond), you could tell if I were still breathing or if there was movement detected.

It's very simple, easy to use. If you have it in SEARCH mode and you get buried, it will go back to the transmit mode. Very handy feature. It was rated very high by one of the avy institutes that compares beacons.

T
Dec 14, 2007
Alamosa, CO
Wife and I each have an Ortovox Beacon. We bury them in the snow and make eachother find them all the time. Good practice. Sounds kinda silly but it really helps you learn to use the beacons and understant thier features.

Hey Tim, your wife sounds alot like mine. Pissing her off is NOT a good idea:eek:

T
Jan 11, 2008
TX
Wife and I each have an Ortovox Beacon. We bury them in the snow and make eachother find them all the time. Good practice. Sounds kinda silly but it really helps you learn to use the beacons and understant thier features.

Hey Tim, your wife sounds alot like mine. Pissing her off is NOT a good idea:eek:
This is the appropriate method of practice.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
I carry survival gear, SPOT, Rhino 530, wear a beacon and plan to buy an AVY pack this year. ALso try to take an AVY course every year.

The one things that still has me perplexed is that there is NOT a two way radio channel designated for Emergency/S&R. I have a certain channel designated if I were to send a SPOT 911 message (message sent to S&R wil tell them what channel I am on) but would like to see this happen for everyones' sake.

Dunatic

MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
Every S&R has a designated 2 way radio channel, contact your local one to find out what it is.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Every S&R has a designated 2 way radio channel, contact your local one to find out what it is.

That is my point. Seems like there should be ONE channel designated for emergency no matter where you are.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I have 3..and practice regularly...i would add.. have contact info for SAR, Air Rescue or who ever it is in your area who can provide assistance to you in an emergency...everyone should carry a card on them with emergency contact info as well as basic medical history including any meds you take..we had a friend suffer a heart attack last year and pass away...we had only rode with him a few times before and had no contact info for him..it was a very frustrating, useless feeling standing outside the lodge trying to explain to the troopers who he was with our limited knowledge.........

T
Nov 27, 2007
Los Alamos, NM
FYI, I'm adding the Garmin Rino 530HCX to my pack this year. It will replace my GMRS/Am/Fm/weather radio that I carry.

Cal has the list down pretty good. I will add that I carry a steel camp cup (melt snow over fire), firestick instead of waterproof matches, bouillon cubes for some added vitamins and some taste, extra set of heavy gloves, boot/foot chem warmers, chem lights. I'm glad that Cal mentioned a whistle b/c this is a must have for anyone out there. If you fall into a tree well, there's no way people will hear you unless they're right on top of you. A whistle's sound will travel further and will require much less effort on your part.

I agree with Cal's post about keeping your cool. I've done cold and hot weather survival with the Army and most of what I learned was keeping your cool and looking for opportunities. Don't feel like you're the victim. You need to keep the will to live alive. This may mean keeping something sentimental like a picture with you. Also, most people who get lost and try to hike out only worsen the situation. If you can get to an open area and keep a fire burning, someone will find you. Keep pine branches handy to add smoke to the fire when you see/hear rescuers.

What about sled tools? Since most of us ride Polaris, what are the most common tools we'll need to carry? Anyone care to start a list? I carried some basic wrenches with me last year. Anyone care to list what sizes are most useful?

Premium Features