• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timbersled 137LE w/TSS VS. Camso DTS 129

W

wntrland

Sep 6, 2008
Timbersled 137LE w/TSS VS. Camso DTS 129 - The Camso TimberSlayer comes out on Top!

I know folks have been anxious to hear how the new Camso can hang with the Timbersled, so I thought I would provide a quick review. Keep in mind that this is just a first test, in very specific snow conditions - the winter is long and we will all enjoy the ride!

This test was conducted on two Honda CRF450R’s with brand new 2017 Kits installed. Both bikes were set-up as best as we know how. We’ve been avid snow bikers since 2011 and pay close attention to suspension set-up and geometry to make these things handle properly. Snow conditions were really good - about 4 feet of snow depth w/ a foot and a half of fluffy pow on top and a good base below. Riding was done on roads, trails, tight trees and the edges of flowing meadows, all with good side hills, hill climbs and terrain changes. The riders swapped back and forth many times in all conditions.

When breaking trail up an old logging road, the Camso could pull away from the Timbersled, if both were making their own track. The Camso track gave the sensation that it was getting better traction and transmitting more power into forward momentum. Also, the Camso ski has a very light feel, while the Timbersled ski seemed to drag more. The difference here was slight, but given enough full throttle time - the Camso could leave the Timbersled behind.

Both set-ups get around good in the tight trees. The Camso just feels funner and takes less effort to steer. It handles quicker and is more predictable than the long track Timbersled. The 137LE tends to freight train, or push in the corners and takes substantially more effort to make it turn.

When racing around the edges of open meadows, both set-ups are a blast. There was no clear advantage here either way. In straight up and side hill climbing the Camso had a slight advantage. It could gain and hold momentum going up hill better than the Timbersled.

Both kits handled very differently from each other on the road. They are both good in their own way. The Timbersled has a more solid and predictable feel. The ski is more planted and it likes to go straight. The Camso gives a much lighter and freer feeling. You steer the Timbersled with the ski and the Camso with your hips. The Camso track throws a wicked roost behind it while going down the trail. Another testament to how much traction the track can find in the snow.

Overall both of these kits are a blast to ride, and for the conditions noted above, you couldn’t go wrong with either one. It’s just that after swapping back & forth in all conditions, both riders agreed that the Camso was the better choice for the day.

P

Pedec

Jul 1, 2014
I could have bought a Camso and almost did but decided to buy a new 2013 timbersled sx instead thinking it would handle better guess I made the wrong choice.

M

more snow

Jan 8, 2008
Nampa, ID
Thanks for sharing your latest ride comparison. Please keep us posted on how the comparison goes in harder snow conditions, especially steep sidehill in hard snow.

Tahoe54

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
I could have bought a Camso and almost did but decided to buy a new 2013 timbersled sx instead thinking it would handle better guess I made the wrong choice.

Your SX will have a 120 track so it should be more nimble than the 137 tested. I'm curious if they would have came to the same conclusion with the shorter track.

H
Nov 28, 2007
SidQUOTE=more snow;4014120]Thanks for sharing your latest ride comparison. Please keep us posted on how the comparison goes in harder snow conditions, especially steep sidehill in hard snow.[/QUOTE]

Do you think the TS is better on hard pack side hilling
especially?

Last edited:
M

more snow

Jan 8, 2008
Nampa, ID
I believe that the TS will be better at sidehill in hardpack since it should bite a harder edge into the snow. The Camso will tend to side roll the outer edge of its track due to the narrow rails and bemor prone to track washing.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Very nice write up , kind of hard to honestly compare the two since only one manufacture makes a single rail . It's like comparing a motorcycle and a wheeler .
The skis are also apples and oranges , depends on what you want . There is a reason why Camso chose not to have a big center wear bar . That battle has been going on for years , do you want more traction that also causes more resistance or do you want something more nimble .

Again , nice write up

H
Oct 7, 2008
Ferndale,Wa.
Great to read. I am in the middle of pulling an older TS st off and installing a newer Camso. I think the Camso will be a better setup for my wife, the TS was a handful on the hard packed road. For me , it will be a Snowtech 137!

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Great to read. I am in the middle of pulling an older TS st off and installing a newer Camso. I think the Camso will be a better setup for my wife, the TS was a handful on the hard packed road. For me , it will be a Snowtech 137!
My wife for sure likes the camso more than the timbersled, mototrax .... Sits lower, more stable.... And can go stupid slow and not get stuck...again she does not jump or rail the roads...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
Yeah thx I got the specs, i guess my question is kinda dumb really cuz the numbers are the answer ha, as far as durability if you jump a lot and drop cliffs and pillows and also rip hard down a mogul infested trail is plastic single rail gonna hold up?

B
If there was any issue with the DTS 129 at all, we'd see threads on here of broken stuff/issues and I haven't seen or read of anyone warning anyone off of the Camso at all.

Of course, if someone wants to trash a skid, it can be done and probably pretty easily, bash it off some boulders, knock it into some stumps, but most want to keep on riding and get home so . . .

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
Yeah I get stumps and rocks and abuse, been in this game a while, anybody who ran one for a whole year care to speak on durability, ordering parts or towing out cuz I went off a jump ain't my cup of tea, just wanna make sure I'm covering bases

W

wntrland

Sep 6, 2008
Camso is a winner for me

I put a ton of hours on my Camso last year. It is super durable. The only failure was a chain & that was simply due to hours of use. It still got me out, just stretched beyond tighten ability. I certainly hit a few things that would have damaged a Timbersled but didn’t phase the Camso. Ordered the parts to turn it into an 18 on Monday & they showed up today (3 days later). Parts pricing & availability is great! It is a little heavier but I’ve honestly never noticed it out on the snow. I’ve owned 6 Timbersled’s and this Camso is the only unit I will spend a 2nd season on.

-unsound

Lifetime Membership
Oct 18, 2013
Fort Sask, Alberta
I put a ton of hours on my Camso last year. It is super durable. The only failure was a chain & that was simply due to hours of use. It still got me out, just stretched beyond tighten ability. I certainly hit a few things that would have damaged a Timbersled but didn’t phase the Camso. Ordered the parts to turn it into an 18 on Monday & they showed up today (3 days later). Parts pricing & availability is great! It is a little heavier but I’ve honestly never noticed it out on the snow. I’ve owned 6 Timbersled’s and this Camso is the only unit I will spend a 2nd season on.

You should start a thread on your impressions of the 2018 updates and how worthwhile they are in your opinion. And maybe pricing if you dont mind sharing. I would be very interested in it and im sure it would be appreciated by others

J
Apr 14, 2008
Camso durability

I havent really thought about complaining about my camso until these last posts about nobody having problems. First I want to say I am very impressed with the performance of the kit last yr. I put just shy of 50 hrs on it and rode with many other brand kits and felt like the camso tractored around well. My complaint is that I had a crack in one side panel, a severally cracked main frame, broke limiter cable and 2 broke brake pins that hold caliper. All parts were warrantied but replaced with same as original. Camso did pay some labor to my authorized dealer which again I'm glad for what I got but it didn't cover near what my actual cost was to fix. Also then for 2018 every problem I had they changed as far as I can tell. For sure the brake assembly, the main frame and limiter cable. I did just recently get the updated brake parts and limiter from camso, again appreciated. So really my little complaining is that I tried last yr to see if I could actually speak to someone on phone and find out if I was getting stronger parts or just replacing same failed parts. Which I was with the brakes twice and limiter once. I wish they would have talked to me about upgraded parts coming for 2018. the frame was at end of season and wasn't ridden after replaced. I probably would have paid xtra at time for upgraded parts. Again I am just replying, I know my friend had same issue with frame and he received free updated one recently. I will say again that the kit performed as good or better in my opinion than much higher priced kits. I would still buy a 2018 kit. Still overall happy and looking forward to riding

Premium Features