• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

clutch removal problem

S

Skummit670monster

Jan 16, 2011
Great Falls MT
I got a 670 that has a stuborn primary on the end of it and it wont let go. I have the correct puller, wacked it with a BFH under tension, tried teflon on the threads and powersteering fluid inbetween the crank and puller. im about ready to break out the heat but i dont know if that'd be a good thing or not. Any tips guys? Ive never had one this dang stuborn.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
What happens when you do the teflon tape trick and how are you doing it? Only reason is I've never seen one that it didn't work on.
Here's how I've done it,
1. take the bolt out and wrap it till it barely fits back in the hole of the clutch and make sure your wrapping the tape on the threads the right way or it won't work.
2. tip the sled on it's side clutch side up of coarse.

3. fill the hole up completely with regular old out of the sink water

4. thread the bolt in till finger tight

5. grab a 21mm wrench and start to tighten it down while holding the clutch with the other hand, till it pops.

If the bolt just keeps threading in then you did not use enough tape or may have wraped it the wrong way. Either way just try it again never not seen this method work.

P.S never heard of the ps fluid before.
Hope this helps if not just start it up with the bolt out and make a few hot laps in the yard LOL:face-icon-small-sho

S

Skummit670monster

Jan 16, 2011
Great Falls MT
the hot laps would work if the engine still had the top end on it haha. I wrapped it pretty extensively and made sure it was the right way, it didnt budge. ill keep working at it. My uncle told me an old trick that he used on stubborn clutches. Fill the hole with water, thread the puller in with teflon tape, wait over night or a few hours. when it freezes, the clutch pops off. Thanks for the input! :face-icon-small-hap

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
the hot laps would work if the engine still had the top end on it haha. I wrapped it pretty extensively and made sure it was the right way, it didnt budge. ill keep working at it. My uncle told me an old trick that he used on stubborn clutches. Fill the hole with water, thread the puller in with teflon tape, wait over night or a few hours. when it freezes, the clutch pops off. Thanks for the input! :face-icon-small-hap

No need to wait...if the teflon tape seals it WILL pop just from the hydraulic pressure. It will likely pop before the puller even touches the crank. Just a matter of finding the right number of tape wraps and run it in quick with a impact. Don't hammer on it with the impact, use it only for the speed so it gives a better chance of building pressure before water seeps past the tape. It will come off with this method quite easily. If the puller bottoms then try again with more tape.

Premium Features