• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 yz450fx air intake

C
Sep 26, 2018
I have a 2016 yz450fx w/ raze ninja back up.

I am currently running just a stock filter with a outerwares prefilter.

Should I go with a intake like C3/CR racing?

buy a K&N and use a pre filter?

Or keep it the way it is and clean the air box on powder days?

Any other suggestions or methods would be appreciated aswell

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Something like the c3... All the other ways if ice melts you can get a puddle of water in you intake boot.. extreme situations locks up the bike if it sits over night

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Do you have your air horns blocked off to keep the snow out? A lot of the YZ‘s I have been riding with are running stock cage with pre-filter and just blocking off the horns and adding foam around the cage. Seems to work awesome. I am currently running a pod in mine but will go back to the stock filter out on my next yz.

B
Sep 16, 2017
C3 intakes are great! PM me ill get you a discount code
Check out RmcSnowbikes.ca
https://rmcsnowbikes.ca/collections/new-snowbike-intake/products/snowbike-intake
CAIN1017_1024x1024.jpg

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Do you have your air horns blocked off to keep the snow out? A lot of the YZ‘s I have been riding with are running stock cage with pre-filter and just blocking off the horns and adding foam around the cage. Seems to work awesome. I am currently running a pod in mine but will go back to the stock filter out on my next yz.
I cut two pieces of foam for the shroud scoops, and added a 2” frog skin on both sides. So far so good (this is on a 17 WR450, same plastics as the YZ)

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
I built my own intake, didn't cost much and fits under the factory airbox cover. Looks stock, little to no chance of it holding snow or puddling water, and the filter is protected by the stock cover so it won't get snagged by anything or collide with the twins.

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
I built my own intake, didn't cost much and fits under the factory airbox cover. Looks stock, little to no chance of it holding snow or puddling water, and the filter is protected by the stock cover so it won't get snagged by anything or collide with the twins.

RMK - can you give more details? I'm not a fan of the pod sticking up above the seat. Besides the possible contact with the jewels, the extra noise is unwelcome. Was hoping to leave the stock airbox in tact because I do ride year-round. Thanks in advance.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
RMK - can you give more details? I'm not a fan of the pod sticking up above the seat. Besides the possible contact with the jewels, the extra noise is unwelcome. Was hoping to leave the stock airbox in tact because I do ride year-round. Thanks in advance.

I bought a second stock airbox and removed the rubber boot, that way I can just swap from summer to winter quicker.

Uni pod filter UP-6229SA
Outerwears prefilter 20-1190-01
2" to 2.25" silicone boot with 45° angle (I think... I'd have to check on that part)
Short piece of 2" exhaust tubing to connect the pod to the silicone boot
Flo Racing foam inserts to plug the holes in the air ducts above the radiators

Simple and affordable, I haven't had any issues with this setup. The one caveat is my bike is an FX and it had a fitting in the stock intake that the crankcase breather hose connected to, I just took an extra outerwears and covered the open end of the hose with that and zip-tied it on there. Kind of hoky but it hasn't given me any problems. I like that the C3 has the nipple in the boot to connect the breather too, I may have to try and replicate that on my setup.

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
I second just building one. I built one for my 300 this weekend for under 20 dollars.

I used the cheapest outerwears prefilter I could find on amazon ( 5.99 ) and a few parts from the ABS plumbing section and it works very well.

intake.jpg

B
Jan 7, 2019
I have a 2015 yz450 I filled the air horns with spray foam. Not the whole thing just about 2 in deep. Before I foamed them shut I coated the plastic with grease because I plan on chipping the foam out for summer. Thought that would help with removing foam. I put 3 small frogskinz on each side on the inside. I run a unoiled filter with outerwear filter over top. Absolutely no issues yet even with very fluffy fresh snow. Bike runs awesome!

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Im a fan of the CR style intake its louder but works flawlessly 100% of the time. I like the sound personally. With the C3 I would still block off the intake shrouds to keep snow from pilling up on top of the filter.

Premium Features