• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

% of 09 Dragon 800's that have blown?

B

bushwackin

Mar 2, 2008
Okotoks
My friend just bought a 09 Dragon 800 with 1000 miles with the updates done. He's a little concerned with how reliable it might be. Anyone have any rough estimates on how many 09's have had engine failures now? 5%? 10%? 20%? 50%? Any guess would be interesting. Thanks

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
on this forum asking a question like that you will never get a correct answer. at our dealership we have sold over 200 cfi4 800's,have had less than 15 burn down and less than 30 reg/ecu failures. so in my local experience its about 10-20% which is a high number but not even close to as high as the people on this forum often make it look. Have owned 5 of them with in my family never had any issues with any of them

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Impossible to say unless you are Polaris.

Typically, a company wants to keep failures below 1% during a given warraranty period. I'm pretty sure that the original 2000 800 exceeded that by quite a bit on the crank issue, but they never did any sort of recall or anything on them. They changed the crank pins and such in 01 and beyond to help, but those were just running updates, not retroactive recalls/updates.

Now with the Dragons, Polaris did a recall. Were the percentages so much higher that they thought they needed to do something proactive or were they just trying to be a better customer service company. Don't know.

I'd really be surprised if "blown up" has happened to more than 10% or 15%. But how many have or will have scuffed pistons? If there is an inherent design issue that causes it then eventually they will all experience it.

I know, none of that answered your question.

sled_guy

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
My friend just bought a 09 Dragon 800 with 1000 miles with the updates done. He's a little concerned with how reliable it might be. Anyone have any rough estimates on how many 09's have had engine failures now? 5%? 10%? 20%? 50%? Any guess would be interesting. Thanks

There was an actual POLL on www.hardcoresledder.com

I thought the # was around 20-25%

Premium Features