• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Keep the 2019 stock front end or...aftermarket?

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
With the new 2019 front end coming I was hoping to start a discussion on the new stock front end versus aftermarket (37") front ends.

So for the guys that have ridden the new front end and.....ridden a "properly" installed aftermarket front end, what are your thoughts? Are they basically the same, is there much difference, if so what ?

One thing to consider is the ease of locating a spare A-arm if you happen to have a little mishap with those trees and rocks that jump out at you. Now with a stock narrow front end, it should be easy to locate a replacement while on a trip.

So whats everyone's thoughts ???????

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
i have no idea how's it is gonna be in winter 2019, but due to the limited amount of 850 with the narrow end sold, i wonder how much spare a-arms will be available when people start ripping them off at the beginning of the season. You might have some big back orders on those, but i'm speculating.

i did not ride those new front end but i have hard time believing the new front end so is so much different. It looks like marketing more than anything but maybe a test drive would prove me wrong.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Have not ridden the new front end, but have rode a few different a arm setups, and have a Kmod setup on my current sled- I like it alot but I think I am just gonna save my $$ and stay stock on the 850. The new aarms SHOULD be stronger beings they are shorter, they SHOULD be much easier to get if needed AND they are already narrow. I just see no real reason to run out and buy aftermarket arms yet, if we get halfway through the season and find the stockers are super weak THEN I will reconsider.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Have not ridden the new front end, but have rode a few different a arm setups, and have a Kmod setup on my current sled- I like it alot but I think I am just gonna save my $$ and stay stock on the 850. The new aarms SHOULD be stronger beings they are shorter, they SHOULD be much easier to get if needed AND they are already narrow. I just see no real reason to run out and buy aftermarket arms yet, if we get halfway through the season and find the stockers are super weak THEN I will reconsider.

Yeah, I've been running the KMod 37 and it's awesome but.......does it pay to switch it over to a new 850?

Keep the stock frond end and I then I have to send my Raptors in to be shortened. Run the KMod frond end and bold it right up with the Raptors as is. But, then a guy is running a more unique a-arm and "if" a guy has an issue while on a trip, its not as easy to find a replacement?????

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
Yeah, I've been running the KMod 37 and it's awesome but.......does it pay to switch it over to a new 850?

Keep the stock frond end and I then I have to send my Raptors in to be shortened. Run the KMod frond end and bold it right up with the Raptors as is. But, then a guy is running a more unique a-arm and "if" a guy has an issue while on a trip, its not as easy to find a replacement?????

Are you trading your sled in? I'd maybe trade you my stock front end for your kmod, with some money on top of course

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010

Beings you already have the shocks and arms I would probably just swap them over... as far as IF you have an issue the best solution would be to keep a spare set of kmods in the trailer, thats what I did and I happen to know a guy selling some in the swapmeet :face-icon-small-hap

Who knows though maybe the react front end is as good as everyone claims, and that will be the setup to have. Time will tell.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
I have the Raptor 37R front on my 18 and recently took the 19 out for a good rip. All in all the handle just the same as far as ease of laying over. When it comes down to it skinny is skinny.

Now my Raptor shocks are night and day over the stock shocks so there is no comparison there. I will go with the Raptor set up again and it is the same width but with longer stroke, true long travel. Also the Raptor parts are much more robust and have arched lowers.

I will be able to sell my take off front end super easy! The stock 36 is awesome for most but I prefer the Raptor set up. Now I am super stoked for the new improved spindles!!!

Last edited:

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Hopefully there is good supply of these as the 19 RMK 800s will also have the React 36" front end. I'd suggest anyone getting a new sled to ride the stock setup at least once. If nothing else, you will then know if you're gaining/losing anything with whichever aftermarket setup you go with.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
i did not ride those new front end but i have hard time believing the new front end so is so much different. It looks like marketing more than anything but maybe a test drive would prove me wrong.

It would. I noticed the new front end as much as the new engine when I rode the 850

Mr. Pump Gas

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Factory knows best, all these engineers do is perfect something that was already very good. Unless of course you upgrade shocks. Leaving mine stock

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
It would. I noticed the new front end as much as the new engine when I rode the 850

Just curious, if you happen to ride a KMod 37" on an Axys??? Curious on the comparison between these two front ends. Plus either way, the new 850 will be getting a new set of Raptors!!

homeboy

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2003
Chehalis
Rode an 850 in mid march in McCall Idaho and as others have stated was equally impressed by both the engine and the new front suspension
I have properly set up aftermarket suspension on all my Axys sleds I have mostly been running 36 zbroz arms and Exit X1 shocks
This last year on my 18 I installed the Raptor 37R a-arms and Raptor shocks and yes again installed correctly and set up for my riding style

I was so impressed with the way the new 850 handled I am riding it stock for the first year both A-arms and shocks this my be the first sled in years that I leave the chassis stock
Time will tell
Just my two cents

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
Going to put after market shocks on the stock suspension. I trust Polaris in terms of geometry but also know suspension is under equipped in almost every thing that uses susoen

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I have stock width ZBroz arms and offset spindles on my 2013 Pro. I've got a loose limiter and a 3" track. It has an extremely light front end feel with a 37" stance. I like it!!!

I spent a day on the 19. I like it!!!

Only Polaris has had time (a couple seasons of extensive time) on their new front end with their own stock parts with that geometry.

Who else can say that yet?

By next fall, the aftermarket companies will have had minimal snow time, if any.

I'm not going to run out and buy any aftermarket parts until I HAVE to.

homeboy

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2003
Chehalis
Hey Ask yourself

Why the bad rating on my post ?

Fat Dog X asked what opinions are about front on new 850 and I put what my experience was with an 850 front compared to some of the narrowed after market a-arms that are available, that I have experience with

Never said anything bad about Z-Broz or Raptor like them both but I guess you are the expert so we will leave it at that

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Well,

After having a conversation with Jake at Raptor, I'm 95% sure I'll be putting my Raptor front end on the new 850. Had a really good conversation (as usual) and discussed both options with no pressure to go either way.

To change / rebuild the front shocks to fit the new 850 front end, I'll have bout 215.00 into each shock. 430.00 to make the shocks work with the stock front end or..........leave them alone, bolt up the Raptor Front end with Raptor shocks and be done.

So, after sitting down and considering price (430.00 to upgrade shocks) and have a standard front end or leave the shocks and have have a potential stronger Raptor front end, I think the plan is to pull the stockers off and stick with Raptor.

Obviously saving some cash is nice, but really after thinking about how well my front end held together after hitting a nasty rock in Cooke and holding together, I think I should stick with it. Thinking back, a stock a-arm I think would have sheared off and I would have had more issues. The Raptor front end, crushed and held together and made it possible to limp back. I just don't think the new stock a-arms are going to be much stronger and why spend more money to run stock????? Plus add in the fact that how available will these new a-arms be,if you end up needing one??

Thoughts ???

Premium Features