For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Ski-Doo: S-2000 and older 1998 and older, all models in the S-2000 chassis and older chassis models

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2016, 10:04 AM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
MSP381 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing pto side crank seal

Anybody know if I have to split the case to change the crank seal on a 99 summit x 670?

Thansk

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 12-14-2016, 11:40 AM
Currently: Not set.
nuttyn01 has a reputation beyond reputenuttyn01 has a reputation beyond reputenuttyn01 has a reputation beyond reputenuttyn01 has a reputation beyond reputenuttyn01 has a reputation beyond reputenuttyn01 has a reputation beyond reputenuttyn01 has a reputation beyond reputenuttyn01 has a reputation beyond reputenuttyn01 has a reputation beyond reputenuttyn01 has a reputation beyond reputenuttyn01 has a reputation beyond repute

Imo yes. I've seen guys do it without splitting the case and thats not my style. I would also highly recommend changing the outer pto crank bearing and checking the crank end run out.
When you run the engine and the pto seal goes out it typically burns down that cylinder due to the increase in air being brought in through the seal. This ingestion of air also sweeps oil off the outer pto bearings and they run dry and cause damage. I've seen guys just replace the seal only to turn right around and do bearings and crank. These motors were absolute powerhouses in the day. Still one of my favorites.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:53 PM
Currently: Dirt Bike Season!
eddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up PTO Seals

There are two and one in inboard of the bearings. If the inboard seal fails, the outer will fail shortly after. So best practice is to split the cases and replace all seals and inspect bearings. In most cases if you catch the issue right after the PTO seal shows symptoms - the bearings are still good and do not need to be replaced. This holds true for the iosflex lubed bearings as well.
New seals (and Iso if applicable) and you are good to go.