• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'09 Assault/WE Shocks

P

pj8556

Jan 11, 2008
God's country
I have an '09 Assault with less than 80 miles, and as some are aware the WE reservoir/piggyback shocks had some issues, I have 2 inches of slop in the front travel, they are stiff!! after the slop, and the adjustment does not work, it binds up.

In the rear i have like 3 or 4 inches of sag and its very stiff. (rear track shock is a clicker reservoir shock)

I called WE today and they said they would fix the front shock adjustment dials and revalve the ski shocks and rear track shock to my needs and recharge to my needs (all for free, minus shipping)

so I guess I am asking what you guys think about what I should request. after the sag in both the front and rear of the sled, it is very stiff! I weigh 180 lbs and do jump but nothing HUGE so I dont think I need them that stiff. I am not sure of the PSI in any of the shocks or piggyback reservoirs so I have no frame of reference but I would like them softer, only not too soft where I am bottoming or have sag. I'm told the current sag now esp in rear susp is because of stiff valving..?? causing slow rebound..??

I want something that will handle the bumps and not beat the crap out of me and something that can handle the occasional moderate jump/drop. your not going to see me dropping 30 foot cliffs but i do like the intermediate stuff.
so i guess i would want something in the middle of soft and hard, but
i dont know how to tell WE that..and i do not want a saggy suspension, I hate that.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

S
Nov 27, 2007
SK
My suggestion...
Talk to Max at Tri City or Curt at Fastrax. They can valve the shocks to your spec with weight, riding info etc. They are both very experienced with setting up the WE's.

MH has some good feedback on the WE Piggybacks in this forum as well. With the information those folks can provide, you should be on the way to getting the setup required for your riding style.

T
Jan 11, 2008
TX
My suggestion...
Talk to Max at Tri City or Curt at Fastrax. They can valve the shocks to your spec with weight, riding info etc. They are both very experienced with setting up the WE's.

MH has some good feedback on the WE Piggybacks in this forum as well. With the information those folks can provide, you should be on the way to getting the setup required for your riding style.
Call Max at TriCity. He can fix you up.

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
Reconfigure...

The guys at WE are very helpful and accommodating regarding this shock. They offered us the same deal, complete service on four shocks, if we just paid shipping. But the turnaround was too long for us. And the shocks natural aversion to extreme cold temperatures made us choose another path. Also,Good luck finding one who knows sleds well at WE, a sled head who is also good with shocks, could be just as good or better than a factory WE rep, who isn't familiar with the application.

I replaced the front WE 'AIR" with Piggy Back WE gas/oil shocks off an '09 IQR. For the rear I had my friend re valve and use a lighter shock oil. I kept all the same springs. The rear OEM valving is monstrous, he re valved to a setting similar to an '08 D8.

On my wife's Assault, we had the shop reduce the main and secondary chamber pressure to the "trail" setting. And we replaced the center shock spring, and torsion springs, along with a re valve and lighter oil on her rear shock. Center spring was from RMK Edge, and the torsion springs were from RMK edge as well.

Will be replacing her WE Air with second set of WE IQR Shocks.

Last edited:
P

pj8556

Jan 11, 2008
God's country
well i sent my shocks into WE after explaining to them over the phone what i wanted, they said no problem, pay shipping and we'll take care of it, after 2 weeks of being in their possession i get a call from the tech saying they have never revalved these shocks and cant be sure what would happen. he also said he couldnt decreased psi in the shock or use lighter oil because it needs this much to hold the weight of the sled.

so now i tore my sled all apart, spent $30 on shipping and am back to square one, STIFF shocks, who else can actually help me?? anybody have experience working on these shocks and perform the job i need done?? thanks!

S
Nov 27, 2007
SK
TriCity is the cure for your ailment

Call Max at Tricity Polaris. They know WE shocks inside and out better than almost anyone else.

Premium Features