• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'09 Assault/Dragon Mods

P

pj8556

Jan 11, 2008
God's country
Just bought an '09 Assault stock, looking for mild to moderate upgrades. Am new to polaris and am hoping for tips on shock valving, clutching, gearing, exhaust, track/tunnel. I ride in the mountains of western MT at 4500-8000 feet mostly.
Ride mostly in the trees, boondocking, climbing, jumping, some trails to get to where I want to be. I weigh 175 lbs. and am 5' 11"

Thanks very much for any help.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Well, it's all relative to how much money. I'm assuming you mean mild to moderate amounts of money.

-First, do Better Boards. Snow collection is bad on the RAW chassis ($199)
-Get your sled updated so you don't have to worry about the mid-range burn down ($free)
-HPS can (nice sound). If you have noise restrictions, get the SLP ($350)
-Venting. Shock tower vents ($50), Side vents ($200), stirrup vents ($60)
-Heavier torsion springs on the Dragon. Assault should be ok.
-Trim down stock RMK track ($free)

Some other more expensive stuff:
-PowerCommander III (Dynotech and SLP provide maps with a purchase from them)
-Camo Extreme track ($600/$350 with trade-in)
-Fox Floats ($800)
-Timbersled rear ($1700)

Just some of my ideas...

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Like Bug said... get the updated done first thing... talk to your dealer and get the parts on order... Polaris will NOT provide the parts alone to the consumer.. this update of new pistons/head/computer re-programming can only be done at the dealer...so get in line early.

The new Polaris sleds are VERY sensitive to backpressure. So be carefull on the exhaust mods.

Polaris will be strict with the dealers on engine warranty issues if any can but the SLP or stock on ANY of the updated 800CFi sleds or the 2010.

You could possibly have a burndown issue with a can that is more free-flowing (less backpressure)...

In a 2 stroke, tuned exhaust, the pipe/porting/can are designed as a unit. Less backpressure in a 2 stroke does NOT equal more power... in fact... in most situations it equals less power unless the entire package from the ECU thru the motor, and into the pipe are taken as a system.

The new EFi/CFi engines do not participate in the same set of "exhasts practices" as the older carbed sleds... This 800CFi in particular is one of the prime examples.

Right now, the SLP can for the 2009 sleds is about $125 thru any dealer as part of the update package thru June '10.

The shock Valving in the front Assault "Air" shocks could be adjusted a bit, but they already run the high flow pistons... not a whole lot to do there. I recommend Tri City Polaris or FasTrax Motorsports as shops that are really tuned in on the Walker shocks.

Clutching... my recomendation goes to Carls... they have a good package with tons of R&D behind it. They will get you dialed in right the first time.

A good clutch package starts, IMO, with a fully blueprinted/ballanced primary clutch.

If you read the clutch post from RON a while back you will see that the factory primary leaves a lot to be desired. I really like the work from Indy Specialties on the Primary clutch... his balance work and setting up the belt clearance (need special tools for this) are top notch. There are others that offer this service as well.

Remember... the primary clutch is the path that power makes it out of the engine to the drivetrain... it that is "off" or cant function smoothly, your sled will be "off" too.

Setting the belt deflection is another free way to make the sled perform at its peak ability.

Depending on where you live and what snow you ride in, trimming the track might not be a good idea...unless you have a turbo, IMO... DO NOT TRIM the lugs on your Assault track... It will be WAY to stiff imo to be an effective mountain track.

Track tension... and keeping it correct every ride is super important to making the sled work correctly... loose tracks, especially these new single ply tracks do not perform well in any condition compared to a properly tensioned track. When a sled has less than 1000 miles on the track... it is still taking its "set" and will stretch... thus loosening and requiring the track to be tensioned as outlined in your owners or service manual.

The track that I like the best, all around for the Assault would be the 144" Camo Extreme 2.5" (this is a 3" pitch track) using the Avid 7 tooth combo drivers for more tunnel clearance at the top/front. As a note, I am not confusing this with the 146" Camo Extreme 2.86" pitch track that is available and must use the larger 8 tooth drivers that give less clearance in the tunnel.

IMO, Stock Polaris 2.4" tall tracks already have too little clearance in the tunnel.

Less clearance in the tunnel creates parasitic drag that could sap upwards of 20 - 30 hp from your sled depending on the snow conditions. This drag also makes the clutches less efficient and prone to heating up.

Like Bug/Fynn said... the Power Commder controller with the slp Mapping AND the SLP pipe/can really wakes the 800 CFi up.

Also, the Std 2010 Timbersled Mountain Tamer with the FitKit for the stock rails, with Fox Float 2 on the skis would be about $2300 shipped from Timbersled...

There are dealers on this forum that can probably offer discount pricing on much of the items you will need.

Last edited:
J
Dec 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Well, it's all relative to how much money. I'm assuming you mean mild to moderate amounts of money.

-Get your sled updated so you don't have to worry about the mid-range burn down ($free)

-Fox Floats ($800)
-Timbersled rear ($1700)

Just some of my ideas...

Trade in? How do you get trade in value for a track purchase.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
BugIto,

Didn't I just read in your post yesterday that were not a can supporter????? :confused:lol

Do you earn commissions from SLP & HPS??

-Fox Floats ($800)
-Timbersled rear ($1700)

Just some of my ideas...

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Didn't I just read in your post yesterday that were not a can supporter????? lol

Do you earn commissions from SLP & HPS??

Haha, touche! No, I didn't say that I did or didn't support them (didn't mean to anyway). I was just saying that I wasn't a guy who claims to see HP gains out of them. I'm getting ready to switch from my HPS to SLP because Colorado will see db testing next year for the sound ordinance.

Trade in? How do you get trade in value for a track purchase.
I traded my stock track in when I purchased my new Camo Extreme.

what can you really get out of this?
Think of it as jetting a carb sled. You can change the air/fuel mixture. That is huge. You could go leaner for drag racing or go leaner with EGT's and live on the edge. That's where DynoTech and SLP come in. They have tested and have different maps.

M

Mountain Assault Seats

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 25, 2009
Draper, Utah
www.wr-products.com
WRP Dragon Mods

You could try our Mountain TUFF Running Boards, or our WIDE board kit. If your a standup style rider or taller than average, a Mountain ASSAULT Seat would do wonders for your riding experience (2" taller than stock).

Running Boards retail at $179.00 and the WIDE board kit rertails at $349.00. The Dragon Mountain ASSAULT Seat retails at $329.00.

DSC02353 (Medium).JPG

T
Dec 4, 2007
Sorry PJ, dont mean to steal your post, but I'm in the same boat, so...

I'll have a '10 dragon, and I run at lower altitude, 1-3k on average.

I think I understand that the SLP pipe and can combo is for higher elevation only, so I cant be running it. Do I have this right? Even with a PCIII?

S
Nov 27, 2007
SK
The single is fine at low alt's. Its only the SLP twin pipe setup that is for high altitude riding. It also requires race gas.

V

Vfrtrader

Aug 25, 2009
Cache Valley, UT
Too little clearance?

So, mountainhorse, too little clearance on the 2.4 track means cut it a bit? How much? Are the 163 without the front heat exchanger as bad. Please advise.

Premium Features