• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys 850: "Second Ride" Review

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Steer subject back on track..
My only real complaints of the Poo chassis...
Tow hooks/boot locks
And way to narrow running boards for men’s size boots
Did they improve on that yet?
Haven’t the 19s yet in person

Oh and Kanedog keep up the good work!
Huge fan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol. I cringe for our future.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I was looking at the 850 Polaris clutching chart and listening to the vids. The engine sounds luggy and not real zingy so I wonder if a 120/290 7041080 Polaris blue/gold and 63gram weights might wake it up a tad. It achieves the same belt clamping force but with lighter weight. Less rotating weight=quicker engine response. Less spring pressure, less weight=less wear in the clutch.
Or, for a more Kanedog "outside of the box" approach, a 69/212 7041061 Polaris brown with 54 gram weights. Food for thought. Eat it up!
Oh hey, ya got anything useful to add to this suggestion jj0909 or are you just happy telling the world how smart you are?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I was looking at the 850 Polaris clutching chart and listening to the vids. The engine sounds luggy and not real zingy so I wonder if a 120/290 7041080 Polaris blue/gold and 63gram weights might wake it up a tad. It achieves the same belt clamping force but with lighter weight. Less rotating weight=quicker engine response. Less spring pressure, less weight=less wear in the clutch. Food for thought. Eat it up!

I am aiming to clutch mine 2 grams lighter and then lighten up the primary spring too, but yet to pick my poison. Clutch life and snappiness are my goals.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Lots of entertaining banter here, but I guarrantee that if kanedog rode just one day with someone like JJ_0909 or AKFULLTHROTTLE, or myself, he'd be looking for the best price on a turbo that night.

PaulAnd, if you think the running boards are too narrow, you're not riding the sled correctly. Not bashing you, just letting you know that there's something there for you to learn. If we're not learning, we're not progressing.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I have a turbo genius.

Last edited:
J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
PaulAnd, if you think the running boards are too narrow, you're not riding the sled correctly. Not bashing you, just letting you know that there's something there for you to learn. If we're not learning, we're not progressing.

...or he has a size 15 foot. Which I've seen. For certain dudes the Axys really is too small. But they are few and far between. I love my Axys boards. When I had a G4 I went to B&M boards, which are (gasp) about the same width as the Axys. One of the best mods Imade to that sled (and pain in the ass mods)

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Just as I thought. The subject gets technical/mechanical and jj_0909 talks about running boards and his g4. Smh.

Last edited:
J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Just as I thought. The subject gets technical/mechanical and jj_0909 talks about running boards and his g4. Smh.

1) this is a forum

2) a different poster brought up running boards. Comparing and contrasting is a great way to give some articulation as to the difference in running boards.

3) This was a review. So for me to say "with other sleds I tried to make the sled more like an Axys" shows that maybe I really like the Axys chassis.

...L-O-L

EDIT: Also, please bring to my attention where I am not objectively answering any of your questions, or countering anything you are claiming. So far as I can tell, you are like that annoying kid in 8th grade social studies who keeps blurting out the answer in the middle of a lecture and its always wrong. The entire class has come to a halt as a result. You are an ideological thinker. Which is impossible to debate with. Also impossibly wrong.

Thankfully, unlike the classroom, I can just ignore you.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
This thread is weird. With racing anything....you can set something (car ,sled, bike, whatever) up to holeshot well even if it has a power disadvantage. BUT, the power disadvantage will always always rear its head somewhere.

A track that spins on hardpack could possibly be a good deep powder track, a suspension that doesn't hook well from a dig could possibly still work well for hill climbing, low gearing or clutching will give up top end, yada yada.

Lets be real an skip all the sillyness tho.....all else equal, a stock or stage kit sled ain't beating a half-ass or better turbo. Nay

What this has to do with 850 initial impressions? No idea. I haven't seen Polaris or anyone else on this forum who claimed this would be a turbo killer. If anyone thought a stock 170hp sled was going to feel like a turbo, they would be setting up for disappointment. Doesn't sound like OP was expecting that, but it keeps coming up.

So far reviews from SC clients have been awesome. Just had a great rider in here this morning ranting about the engine and front end changes. I am surprised to hear anyone finding the front end "not that noticeable"....it was immediately apparent to me....first sidehill. Again what is the expectation I suppose....if you're thinking snow bike, you're gonna fall short.

There have been some complaints that it runs super rich until you get further into/beyond break in...but outside of that people seem to be loving it. Just need more snow.

Good post and thanks for actually keeping this semi on topic - now I'm mad at myself for taking the bait.

I only put the turbo thing in the review because I know a lot of people asked "will it hang with a turbo". Answer is "depends on the rider!" - I've watched great riders on NA sleds put their sleds where a mediocre rider on a $25K sled couldn't get close to. So yeah, I think that's the big takeaway for me - the Axys remains the most capable sled on snow for how I ride.

Or wait, I should say "least fatiguing"

I put my G4 anywhere I could put my Axys - I just was more beat up after 4 hours. And my riding suffered.

Anyway, new motor is cool. Clutching could probably use some improvement. Excited its snowing and can't wait to spend more time on it.

EDIT - as far as the front end, I will confess two things that matter there...

1) I am coming off a G4 last year, which has the same front end (width). Maybe this is why I didn't notice it as much.

2) I hated the Axys with an aftermarket front end at 36". But this is because I couldn't get the shock package to work right - and was frankly less experienced with shock tuning at that point

3) The sled did seem balanced. That's probably the best compliment you can give to a sleds handling. It didn't do anything crazy. But yeah, it also wasn't a snow-bike - not that I expected that.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
...or he has a size 15 foot. Which I've seen. For certain dudes the Axys really is too small. But they are few and far between. I love my Axys boards. When I had a G4 I went to B&M boards, which are (gasp) about the same width as the Axys. One of the best mods Imade to that sled (and pain in the ass mods)

I have a size 15, but like said it just depends on how you ride the sled. The running boards do great at the width. The toe hold as said is a bit tight and a foot can and will get stuck. But the board width does not brother me.

I do love the BM boards but I am also loving the new shorter 850 board.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Lots of entertaining banter here, but I guarrantee that if kanedog rode just one day with someone like JJ_0909 or AKFULLTHROTTLE, or myself, he'd be looking for the best price on a turbo that night.

I’ve slipped off a few times jumping from side to side on the dragon, pro and Axys, probably no jumping from side to side anymore on the new chassis.. I side to side hop much less on the gen4 than the XM
And the gen4 boards are a little wide no doubt

I’ve also been hung upside down from the tow hooks a few times on the dragon and pro..
An adjustable tow hook on the new axys would be cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Not many miles on the wife and my 850's, definitely very rich for break in. We came off 800 AXYS which are incredibly capable hoping for an even more nimble and reliable sled, any additional power would be a bonus.
As far as an NA AXYS VS a Turboed AXYS for me or any other rider who is not very accomplished I.E. pro level IMO and experience on both the truth is that for all but the elite a turbo will hinder us in very technical terrain. I for one can ride a na sled with much more precision and less effort than a turboed sled. First hand experienced proved I can put a na sled in technical terrain into places I could not on a turboed sled. Being on your line and in control are far more important than seat of the pants power that when spooled up changes the dynamics. In the hands of elite riders....different story! In my hands I'm going places on a na that I wouldn't get a turbo without some big struggles.
Big climbs, yes once in a while I'll have to poach a buddy's turbo track but not often, just might have to take a few tries to get over the top. Turbos are a blast to ride, I have to admit but I definitely wouldn't put one on my new 850 if it was provided and set up for free. For 95% of us we will never ride our na sled to its potential and these days that potential is incredible! JMHO

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Where are the 850 vs this and that videos, I live to see real world sled comparisons. I'd have several videos myself by now, (We Have Snow), but the USFS has my rode to the snow shut down because an Autumn fire has made it so dangerous to travel on (a few rocks in the road) that they feel they have to protect me from myself. THANK YOU BIG BROTHER, NOT SURE WHAT I'D DO WITHOUT YOU!!!!!!!! On second thought I do know what I'd do without you, I'D BE ENJOYING LIFE AND RIDING MY SLED!!!!!!

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
We are getting way off topic here, but in my opinion, you do not need to be pro level to realize the benefit of a turbo on a sled. Well set up turbo sleds have a more linear power band than an all of a sudden punch. You can punch it - but you don't have to. Throttle, and just as important brake control, can be learned and applied by any level of rider. Does a new rider need a turbo, absolutely not. Can a person get themself in trouble with one, totally. But an intermediate rider with a desire to ride a turbo sled in the right way will benefit, no doubt.

While most of the banter above seems to be focused on some kind of drag race - real-world riding is a little different. If you ride with one of the pros mentioned above he talks a lot about short blips of throttle to continually reset the track when riding in the trees (and he will often put his customers on a turbo sled). Others focus on track speed as a means to keep from getting stuck, or to get unstuck. A turbo simply gives you more options.

Not many miles on the wife and my 850's, definitely very rich for break in. We came off 800 AXYS which are incredibly capable hoping for an even more nimble and reliable sled, any additional power would be a bonus.
As far as an NA AXYS VS a Turboed AXYS for me or any other rider who is not very accomplished I.E. pro level IMO and experience on both the truth is that for all but the elite a turbo will hinder us in very technical terrain. I for one can ride a na sled with much more precision and less effort than a turboed sled. First hand experienced proved I can put a na sled in technical terrain into places I could not on a turboed sled. Being on your line and in control are far more important than seat of the pants power that when spooled up changes the dynamics. In the hands of elite riders....different story! In my hands I'm going places on a na that I wouldn't get a turbo without some big struggles.
Big climbs, yes once in a while I'll have to poach a buddy's turbo track but not often, just might have to take a few tries to get over the top. Turbos are a blast to ride, I have to admit but I definitely wouldn't put one on my new 850 if it was provided and set up for free. For 95% of us we will never ride our na sled to its potential and these days that potential is incredible! JMHO

Premium Features