• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is chewing through rubber ski stops common?

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
On the last day of the year, I bent an A-Arm. I am just now getting around to fixing it. I replaced the a-arm without a problem but the skis were still sitting a bit funny.

I took the ski off the spindle and noticed the rubber stop-ski was a bit crunched.

PvflZ7Y.jpg

Above is a comparison of the old part vs the new part. I put the fresh part on and noticed that the ski did not have as much articulation as the right ski (undamaged). I got curious and decided to take the right ski off to see where the differences lied.

Lo and behold, a good majority of the rubber stopper from the right ski was just missing

Is this something that happens often? Had I not bent an A-Arm, I'm not sure I would have noticed the issue. I will obviously keep an eye on both of these parts moving forward but was curious to hear if others have this issue or how often these parts get replaced

Edit: Here is a schematic to add some context. The part in question is labeled #8

Last edited:

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
Seems pretty common to me. I burn through a few per season. The first sign is usually when making an aggressive downhill turn, and the ski flips straight up, stops the sled, and throws me over the bars. Other riders experience this enough that there are several solutions discussed in other threads here.

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
Thanks all. You would think there would be something mentioned in the manual to check it during service intervals but I do not recall seeing anything of the sort

I lied: They say to inspect "Ski Saddle/Spindle Bolts" at every interval

Last edited:
S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
i got 250 mils out of my last set! a few of us have ben trying to get a hold of gulfi off snowest hes in Sweden and makes urethane ski bumpers! a few members got them last year and ive heard no complaints and have not heard of them tearing but have not heard from gulfi this year. none the less until we get them from gulfi just keep extra sets on the shelf and replace them often

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I carry a few extras in my bag... yeah, its a thing. lol. Going to try a thin strap of aluminum under the block this year so it cant shear the mounts in half so easy. I see skinz has some sort of billet insert now as well. Curious to see how it works out.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
replaced mine to day this is what I did and don't know if it will help , hurt , or just do nothing but I took my old rubbers and just cut them to fit . only took about 15 min. I also lightly greased the rubbers. might be a bandaide till we can get a hold of gulif and get the urethanes!!

IMG_2755.jpg IMG_2756.jpg IMG_2757.jpg IMG_2758.jpg IMG_2759.jpg IMG_2760.jpg IMG_2761.jpg IMG_2762.jpg

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
The Ski-Doo snubbers also work very well. I've had no issues since going with them. Just gotta trim the chamfers off the bump out on the bottom and they drop right in. Part #505071779

D
Feb 1, 2015
Ski Spindle Pads from Skinz

In case you want to avoid blowing the ski rubbers out, Skinz makes these spindle pads that fit down in the gripper skis and give you a flat surface to push against. Keeps the rubbers from moving, or getting pushed down into the holes in the skis. They are 75.00 and would work well. If you need anymore info, let me know!

IMG_1611.jpg IMG_1612.jpg IMG_1613.jpg

halffast800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2011
Hazel SD
In my humble opinion a wider rubber is the fix. I am trying sly dog rubbers. Can’t stand the thought of skididnt parts on my Polaris. Crappy part is the poo riders are the only ones that can’t use the grippers. Everyone else puts them on everything else but we have ski rubber problems. Only difference is the other two mfgs have wider rubbers. No replacement for surface area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
In my humble opinion a wider rubber is the fix. I am trying sly dog rubbers. Can’t stand the thought of skididnt parts on my Polaris. Crappy part is the poo riders are the only ones that can’t use the grippers. Everyone else puts them on everything else but we have ski rubber problems. Only difference is the other two mfgs have wider rubbers. No replacement for surface area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve torn around 8-10 skidoo rubbers (2 years)
Twice that many stockers.
C&A rubbers also tear

Tried metal under the rubber and it just makes the rubbers spit out.

Tried old chunks of belt. (Super rigid)
Broke the nose off my spindle.

The only thing to last is the polyurethane dampers.
They extend down into the spaces in the gripper ski “pocket)

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
If there is not a larger interest in the inserts from Gulfi on the urethane's, then this is a bust...
I am not trying to play the middle man by any means-
Shipping is the hurdle and without a large interest in these - it's not going to happen.

I just emailed him again to see what quantity is needed to get shipping in order..

I dont mind these going to/through me for distribution-= but want peeps on here to know the cost also.. So the more we have onboard the more cost effective it will be..as he is located in Sweden!!

Last edited:
Premium Features