• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Lynx 850

Oinakka

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
Sweden
When you say the chassis is different, do you know if the bulkhead is different or are you just referring to the short tunnel and suspension?
Its the same bulk. Different plastics, tunnel, Skis, seat and rear suspension.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I don't recall saying the lynx had a stronger bulkhead, but everything I've read about the lynx vs the doo is that the lynx is built to take more abuse.

Skidoo and polaris have both been a bit fragile for a while now, all be it in different ways. Doo has had issues in the bulk head region since the original rev, but hey, they're tunnels don't bend so somehow that's a win over a polaris that bends tunnels but not bulkheads.

As far as an extra 30lbs being so drastic in the mtns, I've yet to see a pro/axys accomplish anything that a doo or cat can't.

I didn't say it was a win over Polaris.

The point I'm getting to is, unless Lynx uses a stronger heavier bulkhead, all that extra weight is useless.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
I about busted a gut when I seen that snow deflector .

The shortened tunnel will run circles around the longer tunnel in deep snow maneuvering . That is after you take off that anchor of a snow deflector off the rails .

Nice to see a manufacture go after it .

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
30 pounds makes a huge difference in mountain riding. Especially in deep bottomless snow. The only place I'd add weight to beef up the 850 is in the bulkhead. I've seen and heard of more bulk head issues this year than I'd like to. I've also seen more bent tunnels on the Axys than I'd like to. The gen 4 is far from a "tin can" though. It's a fine line when it comes to weight and reliability.

I don't think the Lynx is designed for the same riding we do with the gen 4. I am also having a hard time believing that it's a superior sled. I know for one that I'd have that odd slow flap thing on the back of the track broken or ripped off quick in the trees. I'd probably be replacing that skid just like I did on the gen 4 too.

Has anyone with experience on the gen 4 actually ridden one of these?

PPS skid works good but is heavier than most would accept here. For turbo apps it would transfer a little much but it looks like they have possibly moved to a long front arm design which could help that I had a PPS skid in 09. Nest skid. Took some time to get it and parts and was not cheap with the duties and taxes. Equally challenging to find someone who will send a guy one. Performance wise they work really well. I did find band of performance was norrower than we are used to with torsions. If I could locate another one I'd be all over it but would need some fat trimmed.

L
Mar 8, 2008
This last version of the PPS DS skid(deep snow) is way superior in deep snow compared to the 2009 version you had, it is way lighter probably 15 lbs and it controls ski lift better than the Doo skid with stock engine. In bottomless powder i still think the Doo skid will outperform the PPS but on everything else i think the PPS is superior and gives you better control. Total weight difference between Doo G4 and the new Lynx is 10-15lbs. Chassiewise they are basically the same but the PPS is heavier.

X
Nov 11, 2015
i would like to see the Lynx models also in the tests compared to the other brands. because here in Europe the lynx snowmobiles are more common than the other manufacturers.
For me the new Bonndocker is the best solution for the mixed conditions we have. You are able to ride in deep snow as well as on hard snow. The rear skid of the boondocker is way better and stiffer than the skidoo's (it's designed by an former snowcross racer). thats important, because this year i've seen a couple of freerides with broken rear axles on hard snow........

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
has anyone imported this flap or tried to fab one up ?

Premium Features