• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Solution to the Clutch Heat problem?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
can't see how being in alignment and limiting movement could be a bad thing.

Exactly minimize the engine movement, by not inducing a misalignment. Look at the alignment procedure first, your inducing a misalignment on other parts of the shift to correct it on another.
Im not against this but would like proof that the tool actually cured a belt blowing sled.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
Exactly minimize the engine movement, by not inducing a misalignment. Look at the alignment procedure first, your inducing a misalignment on other parts of the shift to correct it on another.
Im not against this but would like proof that the tool actually cured a belt blowing sled.

I don't disagree with you, but I see what they are trying to accomplish. They are just trying to make the alignment perfect under full load which is where the most stress and heat comes from. Makes sense to me, but here is my question: Why isn't the engine mounted rigidly like BRP does in the SxS? My X3 has the same clutches as the Gen 4 sled but they are mounted a lot more solid, no moving under load. That being said, it is still possible to blow belts in the SxS by running them hard and not letting things cool, but seems having the clutches solidly mounted would help things out. For reference, my Gen 4 is not a belt eater, I'm on my second belt at 1400mi. and I'm still on my first belt in my X3 with 2500 mi on it.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I don't disagree with you, but I see what they are trying to accomplish. They are just trying to make the alignment perfect under full load which is where the most stress and heat comes from. Makes sense to me, but here is my question: Why isn't the engine mounted rigidly like BRP does in the SxS? My X3 has the same clutches as the Gen 4 sled but they are mounted a lot more solid, no moving under load. That being said, it is still possible to blow belts in the SxS by running them hard and not letting things cool, but seems having the clutches solidly mounted would help things out. For reference, my Gen 4 is not a belt eater, I'm on my second belt at 1400mi. and I'm still on my first belt in my X3 with 2500 mi on it.

Exactly, thats why Id like to see it cure a belt blowing sled. Just as you mentioned your sled gives great belt life, it would be crappy if you chose to do an alignment on you G4 and you belt life reduced.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Great video.

I find myself asking “why haven’t the doo engineers looked after this when the sleds are built?”

I can come up with several reasons as to why. And why not.

I would be very curious to see some before and after real world data on a sled that was out of spec. The fact that there is a wide range in where a stock (new) sled is measuring may be an answer to why some sleds are belt burners and others are not.

I’m seriously considering ordering up the tooling to do this work. It makes total sense to me.

F

freekweet mods

Feb 3, 2008
Do these sleds have a torque arm? Mod sleds would benefit from adding a torque arm to the head in addition to the one down on the crank. This may be a simple answer to the movement problem.

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Mountain View, Wyoming 82939
Well I will let you guys know soon. I have had all these tools for a bit now and have aligned a handful of sleds but no time on the snow yet. I am finding that some 850 sleds are way farther out of alignment than others. All have needed at least a pto shim so far. Some need shims on both pto and mag sides and some even need shims on the secondary to get things just right.
The grip an rip tools are awesome. We have never been able to mimic a full load on the clutches like this before in the shop until now. They put a lot of thought and design into the alignment tool to make it take out guess work and room for error.
Also.. the 19’s and also the 19 upgrade motor mount kit are an improvement but still just not quite enough.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Well I will let you guys know soon. I have had all these tools for a bit now and have aligned a handful of sleds but no time on the snow yet. I am finding that some 850 sleds are way farther out of alignment than others. All have needed at least a pto shim so far. Some need shims on both pto and mag sides and some even need shims on the secondary to get things just right.
The grip an rip tools are awesome. We have never been able to mimic a full load on the clutches like this before in the shop until now. They put a lot of thought and design into the alignment tool to make it take out guess work and room for error.
Also.. the 19’s and also the 19 upgrade motor mount kit are an improvement but still just not quite enough.

Did you use Grips's shims or have your own material?

What shim material did you use and thickness?

I
Jul 5, 2001
Alignment...

Should have some test data this Friday, been itching to get on the snow just to see what my belt temps drop or rise to..... last year worst was 330*F:face-icon-small-con ended season in spring like conditions at 200-210*F

Will be also testing the different in stationary shive wobble vs no wobble shive...

This will be different conditions for me ( Wa heavy snow ) in Cooke City MT......

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Mountain View, Wyoming 82939
Come on Doo Dealers!! You guys are missing out on a great opportunity for some business and to make some happy 850 customers and some happy 850 clutches. Buy the grip and rip alignment tools and shims and start offering a proper clutch alignment service for us deep snow riders. Most of us would be happy to pay for this service :face-icon-small-hap

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Should have some test data this Friday, been itching to get on the snow just to see what my belt temps drop or rise to..... last year worst was 330*F:face-icon-small-con ended season in spring like conditions at 200-210*F

Will be also testing the different in stationary shive wobble vs no wobble shive...

This will be different conditions for me ( Wa heavy snow ) in Cooke City MT......

Doo you have a belt temp monitor, or are you shooting it when you stop with a temp gun?

Premium Features