• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fusion 600HO VERY randomly running on 1 cylinder??

S
May 23, 2009
Have been having this issue for the past year, when I am running the sled, it will randomly act like it dropped to 1 cylinder. NO power and sounds like an old enticer. A couple weeks ago I completely cleaned the carbs, and replaced the coil and wires and plugs. Riding today for 80 or so miles no problems, cruising about 40, all of a sudden it acts like it dropped a cylinder. Let off the throttle and the power would return for a couple seconds then back to 1 cylinder. It did this about 10 times. Pulled off, turned it off, and back on and it ran like a dream for the 80 miles back to the truck. It's so random I don't even know how to BEGIN to diagnose it. I thought I had it fixed as it used to do it a lot more. Only other thing I noticed is about 40 miles into the trip the det light came on and off but that's it. Still ran great And then ran perfect for another 55 miles till the issue I stated above.

The only mod I have is the SLP intake horn. Otherwise bone stock besides 400 mains and 45 pilots
Anyone have ANY ideas?? Thanks for any and all help I appreciate it

I am unsure if it is limp mode or not as the engine COMPLETLY changes tone like a dead cylinder.

Last edited:

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Does this just happen during extended periods of midrange throttle operation? Have you pulled the plugs to see what they look like when this occurs? Are the tops of the pistons pitted from detonation? What grade of fuel do you run? Is that richer or leaner jetting than stock?

S
May 23, 2009
Fusion

When it happened a lot last year was the tail end of the year l last season it seemed to do it on WOT runs down a field. I was over it so I put it away. So this year I want to fix it and started with what I listed above. It had zero issues running wide open so I thought it was fixed. When it did it yesterday I was running mid throttle for about 15 seconds. It was extremely random, did not think to look at the plugs then which ticks me off. Ran perfect after restarting it

Was running 93 all day. Haven't checked the Pistons. 420 mains is stock 400 now, recommended combination as there's are real fat from the factory.

I will add I did not replace the spark plug caps and have read these have resistors in them

S
May 23, 2009
Ok so I just rode for a bit and it did it again, opened the hood and pulled the pto side plug wire off and it died so it appears to be liso" spark on the other cylinder. Like I said both carbs are clean so highly u likely to be fuel related.

Possible bad cap or stator?

W
Dec 25, 2011
index wa
Did you have any luck yet?
Mine was/is acting a lot alike mostly at lower rpms. Sometime running like tractor when it runs so rough like only on one cylinder.

I found all the reed pedals were lifted slightly and so I replaced them and now it runs even worse.

What clip position are you running in the carb? How many turns out on the fuel? Mine is bone stock with no jet changes.

S
May 23, 2009
I think I may have it figured out (I hope) and it was stupid, inspecting it it looks like the MAG side plug wire was shorting out on the coolant bleeder screw, goes to show check the simple stuff before looking at bigger stuff. I have no snow to ride on ATM so I cant test it. I also put new caps on the wires, am gonna reroute the wires and put some wire loom over them

N
Sep 9, 2012
I have an 07 600rmk thats doing the same thing. always ran perfect then in the middle of nowhere started running on one cylinder. I found out that is was always one spark wire causing the problem. I ran it a couple more days and usually after 30-40 miles it would start cutting out. Same thing as yours, full throttle would bog and then when i feather the throttle i could get it going again.. for a little bit.

So i thought it was the coil, bought a new coil, plugs, and boots. Ran great for 10 rides. Thought i fixed it. But then mid throttle down a trail it started doing it again... Very intermittent and random when it happens. I feel like the coil went bad again...

Its defiently an electrical issue.

Last edited:
Premium Features