• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do I hurt anything if I pull back rear skid/suspension

S
Jul 8, 2015
I am looking at a 98 polaris xc 700, I want to lower the mounting holes to the rear suspension/skid and extend the track, my problem is if I lower the skid my attack angle will be to sharp, is it ok for me to pull back the skid to make a better attack angle? Will it hurt anything? And if I extend the track to a 144 should I use a 121-136 extension and pull it back the extra 4"? I am totally lost, any input would help.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Try not to relocated the skid too much. It starts to make for some bad handling quickly.

If extending the track use longer rails or extensions, remounting will create issues.

S
Jul 8, 2015
If I do drop the suspension in front and back a little how bad will my attack angle be? Will it just dig itself a big hole or will it still handle powder ok (2-2.5 feet at most). Does anybody have any suggestions? Newer suspensions are just to expensive, Maybe a xtra 12 suspension would fit in there better and they are not terribly expensive. I need help

B&M Fabrications

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Aug 3, 2011
North Branch, MN
www.bmfabrications.com
There is a guy here in MN who was swapping in EDGE rear skids into the older sleds, he relocated it to work correctly. That might be an option for you as it will be a better skid than what you have. He was also just playing with trail sleds FYI. But if you drop your current skid and pull it back to run a longer track you will leave the front of the track completely unsupported and it is pretty much defeating the longer track. (notice how stock rails on new sleds now almost touch the drivers) You have some room to play with angle of attack but if you go to steep they tend to dig down and not propel forward.

S
Jul 8, 2015
So if I just lower the suspension a little front and back mounting hole and pull back just a tad bit my attack angle should be ok and my handling should be ok right? Does that make more sense?

B&M Fabrications

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Aug 3, 2011
North Branch, MN
www.bmfabrications.com
Maybe, you're playing engineer on it at that point. It might work just fine and it might be terrible. Problem is, you have to move the skid far enough to get away from the other holes and it might require you do go farther than you want.

S
Jul 8, 2015
Actually, now that I am looking harder I see that I could buy a edge suspension for not to much, I could just stick that in there if I get the sled

S
Jul 8, 2015
Does anybody know if you can put edge 144 rails on a 121 or 136 skid of the same style? Do they use the same holes or not but drilling holes isn't to big of a problem for me.

C
Apr 7, 2014
Kenai Alaska
On the edge chassis I used to run we would use 136 rails out of a gen 2 with the stock edge swing arms and shocks and use a 9" big wheel and slide the skid back in the chassis and run a 144 track.

They don't ride as good on the trail like this but they climb 100% better. Also this makes up some good space for anti ratchet drivers. Just make sure you run an anti stab kit if you are sliding it back at all.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I went through SO MUCH of that with my 2001 GenII RMK 800.
My dad and I both bought identical sleds together.
He stayed bone stock because "a modded sled is a time bomb"

I moved my skid around and played with it for about 4 years. I found a pretty good optimal setting that was awesome off trail, for that chassis.

My sled was a 144 tunnel with 144 rails, 10t drivers (2.52 pitch), 8" rear big wheels, rear drop brackets, rail extensions to move the axle up (not back).

DO NOT run the track too loose when you move the skid back. Too much slack in front of the rails reduces efficiency AND can end up with a stabbed track.

What I found with moving the skid is there is a certain ratio of down and back that is ideal.

For every inch you drop the front, you can drop the back down two inches. You can move the skid back two inches.

So down 1, back two. That's the ratio.

If you move the skid back and the rear down out of the tunnel a couple holes, with no down in the front mount, you'll get very heavy skis. It will trench. You'll hate life.

Factory settings will leave the rail tips slightly up off the floor when sitting static.
When you get into moving skids, REMEMBER THIS RULE: You need those rails to sit FLAT when the sled is sitting static on the shop floor. FLAT.
Heavy skis will kill your powder days and handling off trail.
Remember, the best mountain sled handles crummy on the trails.

My sled sat 2" higher off the ground than my dad's identical bone stocker. He hated mine on the trail, but hated his OFF the trail. :)
He wanted to ride his sled on the way in, but then steal mine when we got off trail. LOL

Last edited:

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Back in the day I had a 97 AC Powder Special. Originally it had a 136 track, I upgraded to a 141 track and moved the skid back 2.5 inches. It worked quite well and was a much better improvement off trail.

Premium Features