• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2000 700 bogs in powder BAD

R

rmkid900

Nov 7, 2012
Laramie Wyoming
Hey guys i have a 700 gen 2 with slp twins in it. This is the first year running it and im kind of having problems with the motor. Whenever i hit to deep of powder the motor bogs down. It wont build revs and i have to turn it off and sit for 5 10 minutes before it runs right again. i took the accs off and turned it to SLP specs plus slight adjustments for alt/temp. I also took the shelves out of the airbox but i dont know whats happening. Any help would be great i'm about to run the damn thing into the tree if i cant it to run right.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
It could be all sorts of things but for starters slp jetting specs are notoriously rich. Maybe check your piston wash and plugs. What jetting and elevation are you at now? Are those the keihn carbs or the mikuni's?

R

rmkid900

Nov 7, 2012
Laramie Wyoming
Yesterday we were at about 10000 feet most of the day. I have it with 165 mains and went to the 2nd one down from the top of the needles. It was in the middle of the needles but i leaned it out about half way through the day. And it has the stock keihn carbs in it

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I used to run 2 different 700's, a '97, stock engine, stock airbox 165 pto 168 mag and a '98 stock cylinders, hymark head, gutted airbox with the slp bigmouth intake, 172 pto 175 mag. Both with stock needles in 2nd notch. Both with psi twins at 5000' elevation mostly. Maybe your rich?

R

rmkid900

Nov 7, 2012
Laramie Wyoming
I'll try leaning it out more the top end more and see if that helps. i've also heard guys having a problem with the carbs freezing up is there an way that could be part of it?

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Be very carefull about leaning it out, don't take some stranger on the internet's word for anything. :face-icon-small-win The keihns had a nasty habit of wearing out the towers that hold the pin the brass float plate pivots on. That won't let the needle seat properly and floods the carb badly. Maybe pull the float bowls off and if everything just kinda falls out you got a problem

T
Dec 25, 2007
That would be my guess: clutching or exhaust plugging. Check to see if you have the little scoop guard in front of the outlet, and if not put one on! They help a ton from my experience with and without.

R

rmkid900

Nov 7, 2012
Laramie Wyoming
Would a worn out part in the carb be something that only happens in the powder. i would think that would be constant problem. and i do have a snow deflector on the tub. that did help a lot. as for the clutches i have a stock helix and a blue pink? spring in it. I was going to put a black red in but my clutch guy said that would give me a low engagement.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I think you have air intake filter troubles. Possibly they are getting restricted with snow and causing the bog.

R

rmkid900

Nov 7, 2012
Laramie Wyoming
Well the gen 2 have the intake behind the windsheild. i also have the slp prefilter thing on there so i might hace snow getting in somewhere else. And yeah pipes and clutch guy dont mix very well but he's the polaris guy around sherdian so i when i told him what i had i trusted his choice in springs and weights

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
mine did that until i put the foam on top of the air box back on. was sucking snow in. also check to make sure the air box is actually seated to the carbs or you could be sucking water in too.

F
Feb 14, 2012
My escape did this when the air box could suck air from under the hood. With twin pipes any powder that gets through the vents Is turned to steam very quickly. The steam would get sucked into the carbs and kill the motor. Also i'm sure the instant cooling of the pipes doesn't help either. But I was also having clutch issues as well(sticking primary). So i'd imagine it is a combination of more than one thing and that's why your having trouble diagnosing it. I'd go back to jetting that works without powder on the hood and try from there. Plastic cardboard (house for sale signs) can be used to make a light air tight air box.

Keep us posted.

montanagrizzly

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2010
Polson, MT
My escape did this when the air box could suck air from under the hood. With twin pipes any powder that gets through the vents Is turned to steam very quickly. The steam would get sucked into the carbs and kill the motor. Also i'm sure the instant cooling of the pipes doesn't help either. But I was also having clutch issues as well(sticking primary). So i'd imagine it is a combination of more than one thing and that's why your having trouble diagnosing it. I'd go back to jetting that works without powder on the hood and try from there. Plastic cardboard (house for sale signs) can be used to make a light air tight air box.

Keep us posted.

i say steam from snow on the pipes. That's what was wrong with mine. sealed eveything up real well with silicone and such and helped tremendously!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I'd check these first....steam on pipes, sucking in snow from airbox or sucking in hot air from under the hood.

OR
A combination of major steam under hood getting sucked in by an unseated airbox.
That is REALLY very likely.

Premium Features