• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new cats ? 4 stroke turbo mountain turbo?

what sled intrest you?

• under 500 lb factory 4 stroke turbo in mountain chassis 200 hp.

Votes: 128 30.8%
  • 400 lb new moujntain sled. direct injection 800 ho 175 hp

Votes: 255 61.4%
  • hold over m wait to see how new chassis holds up?

Votes: 24 5.8%
  • turbo hold over .

Votes: 8 1.9%

• Total voters
F
Apr 5, 2009
if they dont come out with at least a 600 di this coming year i think there going to take such a big hit not keeping up with the other brands

but thats me

S

sledfreak89

Apr 30, 2009
Milford, MI
It doesnt matter if they come out with a new chassis or not. I cant see them taking a hit because of that. Too much brand loyalty in this market...

F
Apr 5, 2009
my dad was a cat guy for a long time. he changed and is on skidoo now. gets better mileage/oil consumption. i think more and more people are getting like that wanting more mileage and stuff like that.

M
Feb 27, 2010
''

You guy's are unrealistic. If a new mountain 4stroke turbo was 550 crate weight it would be a huge undertaking. 4 strokes are heavy end or story.

true but atleast the cat is a twin and with the turbo it can't weight more than the 1000.i pulled one the other day its got some weight.bring on some stock turbos..

F
Apr 5, 2009
true but atleast the cat is a twin and with the turbo it can't weight more than the 1000.i pulled one the other day its got some weight.bring on some stock turbos..

you pulled a 1000 or a turbo? last march i pulled a nytro 174 with my 800 xfire in the snowies. god damn there was a lot of weight there, and he had some weight saving mods done to it.

hope cat makes one and makes it lighter than that.

M
Feb 27, 2010
'

you pulled a 1000 or a turbo? last march i pulled a nytro 174 with my 800 xfire in the snowies. god damn there was a lot of weight there, and he had some weight saving mods done to it.

hope cat makes one and makes it lighter than that.

pulled the blown motor out of our demo and put in a new one.

B

b1dodge

Nov 26, 2007
utah
www.youtube.com
Are you saying the old tigersharks were not Direct Injection? Skidoo uses that same injector technology on there Etech as cat did 15 years ago on some of there watercraft. Old 1960s FICHT injectors (updated) but same old technology Evinrude abandoned in the 70s and brought back in the late 80s, about the time the greenies started screaming. Skidoo purchased Evinrude-Johnson and wala ETECH. I wonder why no one thinks Cat has something clean in the works? The fact is the writing has been on the wall for many years and for Cat to not be preparing would be foolish.

D

Dano702

Dec 15, 2007
Sin City
Well first off i am not buying anything first year. Unless it is really good . I hope we see a new chassis that is very bulletproof and not glued together.

I would be happy with the 800 HO ,the same old 1000 ,and a turbo thumper
The new chassis is my main focus the powerplants are tried and true.

I remember Gus Bhone saying this. Why would you want to turbo an E Tec? I mean you could turbo a Toyota Prius , but why?

DI is only going to be worth while if it is focused on mass power on boost.

W

wje_153

Nov 20, 2008
Montana
2 stroke

New chassis, 2 stroke 800, boondocker pgt, dailed clutching, and light weight aftermarket componets. 2 stroke will always stomp out a 4 stroke in the trees.

donaldej

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Corvallis Oregon
Ya i have to wonder about cat going to all 4 strokes when they take over the engine building.
I bought my wife a nytro 2 years ago because she doesn't like the smell of 2 stroke oil. I don't really like it for boondocking with the extra weight but other than that it is a great sled. Easy starting, quiet, low low maintenance. I voted for the 400# 2 stroke but if they came out with a dependable under 500# turbo 4 stroke i would really really have to consider it.

B

b1dodge

Nov 26, 2007
utah
www.youtube.com
Ultra lightweight 8 ho im sold. Sub 500 lbs mountain thumper.....I have to have one of those too for one reason. Glenn Hall at D&D is making stupid amount of power with these things and doing it with the stock bottom end. True to form the thumper loves mods just like all the Cat 2 strokes. Either way it wont be long now.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I come from the Polaris side and I love my new Pro Ride but...

I'm looking at 2012 AC's for my brothers who want new sleds and I'm thinking of another sled for my girlfriend (don't tell her it's for me as well!).

I know when the new Polaris was coming out the same things were being said. Super light, 175 HP DI, turbo options, 4-stroke miracle light weight machine.....

I've been very happy with what I got. What about a new mountain chassis that is more agile, sleeker and narrower like the Pro but with the current AC motor? The motor is bulletproof and produces good power. That sounds like a good combo to me. I know AC needs to bring their emmissions down, but they can do that with 4-stroke trail sleds and DI on 600's or some other motor. Just rationalizing here.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
I guess I thought it was obvious when last years sleds came out....they're gonna totally switch up the chassis and incorporate a 4 stroke in a long track sled. Z1 Turbo EXT, F8 EXT, obviously they were trying to herd the flock towards a different chassis.

The stuff that sounds legit would be the 4 stroke in a new, lighter variation of the chassis it's currently in, and also the 800 in that chassis -- which would be great competition for the RMKs. Then maybe build crossfires in that chassis too. Also, having sleds go back to chaincase doesnt sound like a terrible idea.

So it would pretty much look like this; Cat has the biggest HP sled out there still, and still be compettive in the 4 stroke class, and have a lightweight 800 to put them back at the top with Polaris and have the best crossover sled once again.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
If cat comes with anything new in this shrinking $$ deficient economy of fewer sleds bing built each year it will be some chassis changes with the same powertrain. Suzuki is still part of Cat, so build the engines in Japan or the midwest ? Suzuki still has to design the engines and line up the housewives to put them togehter, cat takes what it gets.

Anyone that has fooled with 4 stroke vs 2 stroke in toys knows there is a difference in power delivery, sometimes an avantage sometimes not so, everything I"ve seen in sleds so far its a disadvantage. The hicuping every once in awhile power delivery of a 4 stroke in a sled makes the track want to trench and has a tough time getting up on the snow. A blizzrd of 280 hp in the turbo 4 strokes can be a fun toy in vertical rock hard chutes but a real dissappointment in deep snow boondocking even if they made a 425 lb reasonable hp sled. The deep digging every 4th try power pulse is not user friendly when it comes loose things, swamps /loose sand/ deep gravel on my 4 stroke bikes, and loose snow is even more of a challenge for a hole digging 4 stroke.

The day my only choice of a mtn sled is a lightweight 4 stroke won't be the happiest day of my life.

Premium Features