• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sub-Forums in the Snowmobile Forums

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
There continues to be a pretty heated debate about the creation of the sub-forums in the 4 main snowmobile forums.

Just for the sake of example I will focus in on the Artic Cat forum.

Artic Cat has 11,076 Threads, with 94,413 replies, which are categorized into 4 sub-forums.

The main argument that I keep hearing is when I created the 4 sub-categories that it made is MUCH harder for the members to stay on top of whats going on in that forum, because now it would require you to enter into each of the 4 separate sub-forums, one at a time, and read the contents of each forum to be up to speed on 100% of the threads in the Artic Cat forum.

This was a legitimate complaint and concern, and in response to it we created the BROWSE ALL forum, which combines 100% of all threads and allows you to see them all in one place, just like the old forum did. And while this solution appears to resolve the problem, a small number of highly vocal members instead continue to complain about the sub-forums and refuse to take advantage of the solution. So I am left a bit confused here.

Now, you may ask, WHY was it necessary to create the sub-forums in the first place?

The answer goes back to those 11,076 threads. The SnoWest forums exist in a program called VBulletin, and the VBulletin search engine is POOR at best, and downright horrible at worst. Right now SnoWest is approaching 36,000 registered members. The majority of which either NEVER post or have posted less than 5 times. Mostly they come to the forums to search for information and to read other posts.

The Sub-Forums were created to aid them in finding the information that are looking for, which tends to be specific to the sled they are riding, and not generalized to the brand name manufacturer, hence the sub-forums...

==

Now, some of the mods are suggesting that i consider SCRAPING the current sub-forum categories and looking for some kind of an alternative solution, and I am writing this thread to say that I am OPEN to a different solution that addresses BOTH groups of SnoWest users.

So, if you have a solution that you think is a WIN-WIN for both sets of users, speak up and let me know.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I like sub-forums. It makes finding info easy. I can go to Polaris and just browse the IQ section. I don't have to wade through Generation 2 information or Edge information.

You go to car forum and most places have it broke down by what generation of vehicle you have, etc so that way you are only browsing relevant information.

As for all the users, I have been sent e-mails from some forums that say something like: "You have not logged in or used your account in 90 days, if you want to continue to be able to access your account please login by XX date or in the next 10 days".

Why not send something like that out with a 2-3 week window, anyone that doesn't login will be deleted/disactivated.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thanks for your comments on the Sub-forums.
Most of the users that like them only say so in private messages to me and not in public postings.

We do have a "Member Activation" module coming to SnoWest soon.

S
I suggested this before, but it never even got a single response. Use prefix tags instead of subforums.

Chris, have a look at the VBulletin forums themselves. Try it out here.

Searching is easy because when you go search->advanced, you can search by prefix. When you create the prefix, you can change the colour too, so it's easy to spot.

Essentially, what are now subforums could be available prefixes.

This way, it's easy. Everyone has ONE forum to browse. The old dogs who don't want to learn new tricks can make their post and be on their way. It'd be easy to for a moderator, if deemed necessary to go in and edit the post, changing the prefix, but I'm guessing since it's right there where people write the titles (and if it doesn't have a bajillion options) they'll pick the one they want themselves.

Plus, that example forum gives the option of writing a "tag" to further help people search for the topic later on. So if I post about fox shocks in the Cat section, with the prefix of M-Series, I can tag it suspension (or fox shocks, or whatever) and if someone who rides a yamaha does a search by tag alone, they might see that thread they otherwise wouldn't have found. Tags are great if used properly, and the tag system that snowest has had has been underutilized because it's not so convenient to use.

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
The problem with tags is that it is user dependent on putting a correct tag. If it were a pull down menu for tags, it might work. I see the Moderators having to practically re-tag everything.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Could we a least wait until the speed issue is solved before we start changing the changes that caused the slow down in the first place.

Nobody likes the sub-forums because they slowed down the site, I beleive when the new servers get installed it will help being able move around. Now you have to prioritize what you want to read because of the lag time.

But what we really need is lots of SNOW

Christopher you need to fix the Snow problem first

rockdog2112

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2008
Cheyenne,Wy USA
I feel that SW has lost it's sense of community. The new sub forums do make it easier to find info, just like a filing cabnit, but folks used to come here (folks that have a common interest, Sledding) to congregate and talk of other things besides snowmobiling and just hang out. Too much micromanagement. In the midst of all the changes, something good was lost here. I hope SW can get it back. JMO

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Could we a least wait until the speed issue is solved before we start changing the changes that caused the slow down in the first place.

Nobody likes the sub-forums because they slowed down the site, I beleive when the new servers get installed it will help being able move around. Now you have to prioritize what you want to read because of the lag time.

But what we really need is lots of SNOW

Christopher you need to fix the Snow problem first
Ya, I understand.
I bring this up because i continue to hear about it.
The servers are coming, and the speed will be resolved.

In the meantime I am trying to listen and look to see if there is a better solution.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
and the member activation module means once you pay your bill you can interact with the site i presume:mad::(
Huh??

That is a module that will try to get members who never post on the forums to take a more active role and participate.

About 35% of our members have never posted, and another 30% or so have posted 5 times or less.

Premium Features