• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fix wifes current sled or buy used sled?

S

Sako7STW

Nov 6, 2003
Evanston, WY
Here is the dealio. My wifes 04' Vertical Escape 800 blew the crank last ride of last year. To do the rebuild is going to cost me $2000+ to do by the time it is all said and done.

Well after looking at the Swapmeet, I have found many sleds for about that price, maybe a bit more. For instance i found a 04 Mountain Cat 900 for $2400 that only has 1600ish miles on it.

So is it worth fixing the old sled or should I sell the chassis and parts and go buy her something else? She doesnt really care one way or the other, she just wants the most economical way to get her on the snow as money is tight right now.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
The only things I would be thinking about are how many miles are on your chassis? Is it still in good condition? If it is, then it might be worth fixing, if its thrashed than perhaps not. If you have the time to part it out, you would probably get more money for it that way than trying to sell a non running sled, but your not gonna get a whole lot out of it either way. Is she attached to the sled at all as far as how the chassis fits her or just wants something to ride and doesn't care? Also, how good of a rider is she, A mountain cat 900 would be a lot of power I would think if shes not an aggressive rider.

Just a couple thoughts to consider.:beer;

S

Sako7STW

Nov 6, 2003
Evanston, WY
Chassis is in emaculate shape. She likes her sled but isnt attached to it. She has been riding her whole life and is no slouch. She isnt happy if she isnt hanging with the guys. Sometimes it scares me to watch her because she wants to try just about everything she see's anyone else do. It also makes me very proud of her and I absolutely love it when she rides with us, way way more than when she dont. I think watching her ride will also help influence my daughter to ride and will push my son to ride harder. I mean if Mom can do it, then he surely can right?

She was on a built Doo 670 before this 800 that would kick its but all over the mtn. She likes power and when she rides something like a 600, she laughs when she gets off of it and says something like "This thing sucks, give me back my power, I'm bored." LOL

My thoughts are:
Say I get $1500 out of her Chassis, CPI pipes, electric start, ect.

Thats leaves me with only having to come up with $900 to get her into that cat. $900 is alot less than $2000+.

BUT then I am taking the chance with yet another used sled. If I fix this sled I know the motor will be done right but it is still a Polaris 800 and I have no faith in them anymore.

W
May 14, 2008
Iron Range
To me it sounds like a perfect time for you to get a new sled and she'll get the hand me down. lol.... :beer;

I would consider how much you ride whats your budget. You could find a hold over that has a warrenty for a good price, not being to brand loyal gives you great options. After I rode a rev I knew that I was getting rid of my old prox so I could sit up and forward that was worth plus I was ready for fuel injection just getting lazy I guess.

Indy dan is on the forum and hase a 5 warranty on his 800 polaris rebuild.

I wait all summer for winter and have bought 3 new sled and still drive the same old pickup truck over that same time. I think that its not the smartsist move but it's worth it during the winter. good luck....:beer;

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Buying the 900 and parting out her old sled would be the cheapest way to go. I had a 03' RMK and bought a 04' KK, I liked the cat better and the 900 is one tough engine. A used sled is always a gamble, but if it looks good, thats the way I would go. Good luck with whatever you decide.

kozmo

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
IOWA
I think you should fix what you have,then you know what you got and you wont have to worry about it, just my though

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
A used sled can be risky, unless you know who and what is is. Never had much luck starting over with another used sled could have more problems than what you already have. Her sled is a good machine and they did have that bearing issue. The big bearing kit would take care of that and run for another 3 to 4 tho. But I like the idea that it is time for a new sled for you. That is the way my wife gets her sleds!!!:p but in the end it is what a guy wants to spend. Fixing the old one has its avantages too. good luck

Just my two penny's

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Chassis is in emaculate shape. She likes her sled...
BUT then I am taking the chance with yet another used sled. If I fix this sled I know the motor will be done right but it is still a Polaris 800 and I have no faith in them anymore.

A used sled can be risky, unless you know who and what is is. Never had much luck starting over with another used sled could have more problems than what you already have. Her sled is a good machine and they did have that bearing issue. The big bearing kit would take care of that and run for another 3 to 4 tho. But I like the idea that it is time for a new sled for you. That is the way my wife gets her sleds!!!:p but in the end it is what a guy wants to spend. Fixing the old one has its avantages too. good luck

Just my two penny's

If the Chassis is in good condition, she likes it, and you can do the necessary rebuild, then I would say do it... Every sled is a risk and you know all the history behind this particular one. The EDGE sleds are very good sleds aside from the bottom end issue... which you would be taking care of with this rebuild.

I love mine...:D

My $.02

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Another vote for biting the bulet and rebuilding the bottom end if the rest off the sled is in good shape. You will be good to go for a few years if you do. They are good solid sleds. There is always a better mouse trap out there. But atleast you will will know what is in this one. Used is a big gamble.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Another vote for biting the bulet and rebuilding the bottom end if the rest off the sled is in good shape. You will be good to go for a few years if you do. They are good solid sleds. There is always a better mouse trap out there. But atleast you will will know what is in this one. Used is a big gamble.

I agree.

For the money you can get a nice second 800 RMK and part out the one you don't want.

S

Sako7STW

Nov 6, 2003
Evanston, WY
I already have a new sled (see signature). I am going to try and do some calling around more on Friday and see what I can come up with. The thing that doesnt make since to me is these dang sleds are a dime a dozen out there. Why in the heck is it 2K to build one? I built a whole Banshee motor, crank and all for less than 700 bucks! 2K just seams flat out rediculous.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
I already have a new sled (see signature). I am going to try and do some calling around more on Friday and see what I can come up with. The thing that doesnt make since to me is these dang sleds are a dime a dozen out there. Why in the heck is it 2K to build one? I built a whole Banshee motor, crank and all for less than 700 bucks! 2K just seams flat out rediculous.

Just spit ballen here, but alot of times when the crank goes so does the case. who give the the $ amount? has it been torn down? We still have an 01 800 and the bill for the total rebuild with case, crank, top end jugs and all with labor was 2400. I would have to agree with you on the coast of that rebuild, if it has not yet been torn apart. Is a dealer doing the work? Depending where your at I can hook you up with a very good mach. with a well knowen name it the snowmobile engine bizz if you would like.

Last edited:
S

Sako7STW

Nov 6, 2003
Evanston, WY
It was Indy Dan that quoted me that. The motor is still in the sled but after i described to him what happened he is pretty sure the crank is toast, and hopefully the botoom end isnt toast and repairable. Then we tacked on what it will cost for pistons and stuff. I will be doing as much work as I can, well me and friends I trust and a few cases of brew for them I am sure. I have next week off, so if I can get a game plan figured out before then, I might start turning wrenches on it. If not I will be working on mine (installing electric start) to get it done so I can start on hers.

O
Mar 19, 2009
Idaho
I agree with fixing the old till you can afford a new machine as I have never had good luck with used sleds. Heck last year my brother in law toasted his motor and we got a brand new short block for 1800 and slammed it in. Sure it is a older sled 03 but he knows what he has and it will live on for a long time now ( I hope). Or do like rdr99 said and drop a cat motor in. No one ever said it has to stay Polaris. Just do what you can and it will be a killer sled again.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Just as info Last year i parted out my 05 XC 700 that had been converted to a Mountain sled. I got $4800 and change after shipping and ebay fees out of the part out and I still have the bulkhead, tunnel, tunnel ext., Chaincase, and belly pan. Yes it had a running motor that was $1500 of the part out. So to me you have $3300 worth of parts sitting there Plus you should be able to sell the cylinders and a few other things off the motor and may be even a couple bucks for the cases and the crank for a rebuildable core from Indy Dan. So now say your up to $3500, then put that with your $2000 that you would have spent on the rebuild and you've got $5500 towards a good used sled for the wife.

Premium Features