• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question for Triton/Top Cap (clamshell type) trailer owners...

G

GMCRMK

Nov 28, 2007
SL,UT - IP,ID
Anybody have any luck keeping condensation from forming on the inside?

I own a Triton Trailer with a "Coverall" and the roof & walls are always dripping wet! My sleds are always damp. I installed a solar powered vent fan in hopes it'd move air & pull some moisture out but it didn't help. I keep the door propped open sometimes - nada.

Any ideas? Thanks.

tuffsled

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2008
Kent WA
I have a 2000 Top Cap (fibreglass) and i leave a 2x2 under the rear of the cap with the the front end of the trailer higher so any snow melt inside will drain. It also allows for air circulation and my sleds stay dry. Before i used the 2x2 the four air vents weren't enough and i had a lot of condensation.

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
topcap

not trying to hijack your thread, i have been looking at buying a used one, i like the idea better that the alu. any advice on purchasing one. i found a 12 foot forsale. any problems to look at,
thanks
giddyup

G

GMCRMK

Nov 28, 2007
SL,UT - IP,ID
not trying to hijack your thread, i have been looking at buying a used one, i like the idea better that the alu. any advice on purchasing one. i found a 12 foot forsale. any problems to look at,
thanks
giddyup

I love my Triton for ease of towing, keeping stuff covered and off-season storage.

But, I don't like it for being unable to work on the sleds while covered and they stay damp inside-not only from moisture from the snow but condensation forms on the cap due to temp changes.

Overall, if you don't have the rig to or, want to, tow a proper enclosed trailer, the cap is the way to go. I'll never tow open again.

Any other ideas on the mosture issue?

S
Nov 28, 2007
I also prop the cap open after a ride. Haven't had too much problem with condensation. Not much you can do about temperature fluctuation condensation though, short of keeping it in a heated garage.

D

DARKO

Nov 21, 2007
Kelowna, BC.
Those trailers are sweet, I miss mine !

I used a small construction style heater with an osolating fan when parked after use for a day or so. Prop'd up the back 8 or 12", worked great.

Do they make a 14' yet ? 163" must be tight cuz my 159' was sure getting tight fit length wise. If I had the coin I would buy one for early and late season riding, there so light a guy can spin them around on logging roads before the car parks are in use.

D
Jul 4, 2001
Central Alberta, Canada
I have the little Triton TC11 trailer....taller aluminum sided deal. I rains inside after a couple of days of wet sleds being parked in there.....but it can be spun around on the logging road by hand as well. I think it weights 900lbs empty. The 163 fits inside the 11' trailer.

IMG_2759 (Small).JPG

R

Red Dog

Aug 29, 2001
Yea the Bubble Boy Trailer:D,I'v had mine for about 10 years, best little trailer ever,light weight 900lbs,and like Darko said easy to manuver on logging roads.Example one year heading up Keystone Other trailers jacknifed all over logging road,I just unloaded the wife and I sleds, then just unhooked trailer and spun it around,no problems.It's the only way to go besides a Deck on the truck.Good luck finding one,Cheers Red Dog.:beer;

IMG_0010.jpg

Last edited:
G

GMCRMK

Nov 28, 2007
SL,UT - IP,ID
Heres pics of mine from last year. I'll try propping open the cap on the downward to let the water run out to help keep moisture down. Need to minimixe the condensation/inside rain!

DSC04355.jpg DSC04358.jpg

Last edited:
F

fuzz

Jul 4, 2001
Great Falls,Montana
I've had my Triton/Top Cap unit (looks like RedDogs) for about 8 years. No sweating problems but of course I live in low humidity climate. Cap only has the 2 vents near the top on side. Sometimes I put a small space heater with fan if I want to de-ice my sleds or if it's warm enough I open the lid to let the wind blow thru. Love the drive on -drive off feature after puling them off an open face tilt for 20 years.
Fuzz

S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
I have a TC11. When i get home i prop the front door open and crack the back door. works fine but I'm in Colorado and it's dry here.

T
Jan 19, 2008
Hinton
I bought one of these last summer and now a bunch of the rivits have broke that hold the fiberglass shell to the aluminum frame. I'm gonna try to get warranty on it. I do tow this trailer over alot of very rough roads otherwise I don't think it would have happened.

I really like mine for how small they are, easy to load and unload (be sure to duck when loading!) and easy to wash the sleds after early or late riding.

Premium Features