• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

550f premix?

roo

Premium Member
May 12, 2008
sedro woolley WA
any one know of any problems switchin from injection to pre mix? just trying to cover all my bases! MAKE SURE I'M NOT MISSING SOMETHING.

S
Nov 27, 2007
With the 503, premix is a nobrainer. I dunno about the 550's. Did your 550 "drop in" or did you have to fab it in? Where is/was the oilpump? Does it have internal injection oil passages that feed the bottom end?

I like the castor 927 for premix.

roo

Premium Member
May 12, 2008
sedro woolley WA
premix

With the 503, premix is a nobrainer. I dunno about the 550's. Did your 550 "drop in" or did you have to fab it in? Where is/was the oilpump? Does it have internal injection oil passages that feed the bottom end?

I like the castor 927 for premix.

503 and 550 cases look very close. internal injection oil passages = yes. oil pump mounts just like 503(sled). motor bolts right in with the exception of reed block frame clearance issues. the oil passages are what i'm concerned with, will premix deliver oil to bearings?

S
Nov 27, 2007
Tough one. I am outta my league. The snowcrossers deal with the premix issue an everything they run. How do they do it on machines that have internal oil passages? Shall we ask?

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
I think you golden on the 550, should be just like the 503, leave the oil pump off and premix the gas. I'm not a 100% sure but I will make a call to the race dept. on monday and give you and update.

roo

Premium Member
May 12, 2008
sedro woolley WA
mix and go!

I think you golden on the 550, should be just like the 503, leave the oil pump off and premix the gas. I'm not a 100% sure but I will make a call to the race dept. on monday and give you and update.

got message back from LRD (longtime 550 fan guru on dootalk) said good to go!
thanx guys, trying to play it safe would hate to go through all this work and seize a mtr. because I didn't cover all the basics!

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Lrd

When you decide you wan't even more than the 550, ask him about his 620 big bore kit using larger sleaves and Artic Cat King Cat 1000 pistons.

Sad thing is he has a close friend that owned a 503F SH in the early years. if they would have endured through the spoon ski problems we would have had a very important member in our flock!

We also sold him a SH 600HO factory powerblock primary clutch to try on his Hybrid 2008 Ski Doo TNT last year.

I remember when you started your project you stated the new engine came from a MXZ, it must not have been an MXZX snocross model they should have been premix.

Two years ago Ski Doo offered the 550 and a fan HO kit upgrade for racers under 14yrs, not legal for liquid 440 class, now all 600 class.

roo

Premium Member
May 12, 2008
sedro woolley WA
mxz550x

When you decide you wan't even more than the 550, ask him about his 620 big bore kit using larger sleaves and Artic Cat King Cat 1000 pistons.

Sad thing is he has a close friend that owned a 503F SH in the early years. if they would have endured through the spoon ski problems we would have had a very important member in our flock!

We also sold him a SH 600HO factory powerblock primary clutch to try on his Hybrid 2008 Ski Doo TNT last year.

I remember when you started your project you stated the new engine came from a MXZ, it must not have been an MXZX snocross model they should have been premix.

Two years ago Ski Doo offered the 550 and a fan HO kit upgrade for racers under 14yrs, not legal for liquid 440 class, now all 600 class.

oil injected into ports under reed block ( into cases)

Premium Features