• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1000 cyl. on 800 Bottom end

S
Nov 27, 2007
East Grand Forks, MN
I just recently purchased and installed a Speedwerx 1000 top end on my '01 800 Mountain Cat. I am running a speedwerx single pipe with Supreme Tool Power Valves also. Should a timing key be added or not? Was told by someone that I should for low elevation and should not for high elevation. Any opinions?

Also how much difference in horsepower would there be between running the low comp. domes on pump gas versus the high comp. domes on race gas?

Thanks

H

HPJUNKIE

Nov 5, 2003
2 degree for sure, some of the 800-1000 kits on the dyno run a 4 degree key, dependant on which cdi you are using.

S
Nov 27, 2007
East Grand Forks, MN
How do you know judging by what cdi box you have? I bought the kit used from a guy that had it on a 900 and there was a timing key with it not sure what degree it is though. Also with the 13-1 domes and the timing advance would you have to run race gas? How much of a hp gain would the timing advance be? Noticable or just 2-3 hp

Thanks

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
the advanced timing might not really get you much more power but you will get a quicker more powerful wind up, meaning it will hit a little harder when you mash the throttle.

As for domes, do you know the comp ratio on em??

If you canna afford to splash race fuel in that thing, run it and the high comp domes, who doesnt like more power??

Premium Features