• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil pump help

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
My oil pump was waaaaay out of adjustment, so far that I had almost ran out of threads on the cable and still only had it to were it should be (at the line). I wanted to go past the line a little bit but didn't want to have the lock nut hanging on by a thread or two. So after having the lock nut as far out as I dare go I reached in with a pry bar and tweaked the bracket that holds the cable to get a little more. After checking everything I noticed a small oil drip coming from where the bracket screws to the oil pump. I pushed it back and there doesn't seem to be any more drip.

Does anyone know if this is on the high pressure side or low pressure? There's only 2 screws that hold the bracket on unlike the older pumps that had 4. I tried getting in there and tighting those 2 screws for better piece of mind but there's no getting at them.

Can the pump be removed by just the to bolts or is there a seal that has to be pried out and replaced if I touch the oil pump?

If it's bone dry over night is there any reason to worry? Or will the pressure change when it's at high rpms?

IMG_5111.JPG

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Anyone have experience taking one of these off? Is there enough slack in the hoses to pull it up far enough? Or does the motor have to come out?

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Just my experience, I had to make sure I had the throttle half of the cable adjusted so that there was just a little slack before tackling the oil pump adjustment. Also TPS and throttle have to be adjusted first, if there is any issue there with TPS or idle. Then I was able to get my oil pump adjusted wherever I wanted it, it was already adjusted "up" since it is a Carls 860 motor, but it was up a bit too much for me so I backed it off a little... I will see if I can find any pics, I think I took a few. Never have removed an oil pump in all the years I have been riding and wrenching though...

EDIT: Added a few pics looking in an old car mirror, but it doesn't look the same as yours at first glance...

DSCN0455.jpg DSCN0449.jpg

Last edited:

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Thanks for the input. I have it adjusted where i want it now. My main concern is after tweaking the bracket that holds the cable it created a small drip. I then tweaked it back which got rid of the drip. I'm just kinda worried that when the pump is "pumping" it might be an issue. Has been dry for 4 days now sitting there. I don't know if these pumps make a lot of pressure or not, wouldn't think so.

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
My oil pump was here and I squeaked pto side piston with about 200 miles on new top end. I think a combo of things where at play including bad gas and running a long stretch in the mid range down a snow covered road. Either way if the pump were in the right spot I'm pretty sure it wouldn't of happened.

IMG_5145.JPG

Premium Features