• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Max power 3 cyl builds. (Nytro/Viper)

C
Oct 1, 2014
Hi, I'm trying to do some research on what goes into the maximum horsepower builds for this Yamaha 3 cyl, and what kind of numbers people are achieving. I was hoping you guys could point me in the direction of some build threads, YouTube dyno vids, Facebook posts...

Hopefully with things like dynoed horsepower and boost psi numbers, what motor work done, cams, rods, pistons, head work, ect ect.

Also if any of you know of some really aggressive non turbo builds I'd be interested in how those are built and how much power they make too.

Thank you!

I
Nov 26, 2007
I think there was a guy racing a NA nytro claiming around 180hp but there was a lot done to that motor including removing the counter balancer.

xtreme motorworks has a built nytro motor in a quad that's around 450hp if I remember right.

C
Oct 1, 2014
What are you hoping to achieve? Drag sled? Mountain sled?

Right off the bat there are many 270 horsepower turbo kits available that are just basically bolt on. Are you looking for more than that?

It's actually for some YXZs. So while 270hp is intense, it's not nearly as crazy as a 270hp snowmobile.

The guys who are looking for this info are going to be doing drag racing and some of them (including me) doing short course racing.

So obviously sky's the limit for the drag guys, that's why I said MAX horsepower. Basically whatever the heads/block/crank can handle before the laws of physics just make things insanely expensive.

xtrememotorworks

Powersports Performance!
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sumner,Wa
www.xmrinc.com
In theory its pretty easy to put out big numbers, putting the power to the ground and reliable are where it gets hard. Our drag Nytro is Carrillo rods, Cp pistons, ARP hardware, CNC porting, +1 valves, spring kit, Garrett 3076 and its getting a Motec ecu at the moment....

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
my nytro is ported & polished new cams, rods, pistons,head studs & ringed head.
have ran it at 20lbs with boost it kit 2871,to say its a bit retarded for most riding is a understatment lol.
i run it at 14lbs & it will go up anything at that & with the 174 x3 inch track tries to rip your arm off,shoulder ache after a day on it & not from the weight.:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-coo

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
The RMSHA hillclimb guys were getting 180-190hp out of their improved stockers. That's what I was told when quizzing the guys a few years ago when they ran the Nytro chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
The RMSHA hillclimb guys were getting 180-190hp out of their improved stockers. That's what I was told when quizzing the guys a few years ago when they ran the Nytro chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yup 185-188hp n/a think they where running 110-112 race fuel.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Have you guys played around with maxxing out the stock engine? I'm using our unsellable nytros to make a 660' snow drag nitro but I gotta keep the engine stock so that I can race the sled in more than just one class, local snow drags tend to have a turbo stock (bolt on turbo kit only) and then open mod. so to make it worthwhile and race more than one class engine has to stay bone stock. I haven't had the pleasure of finding the breaking point on the nitro, I know bad things happen after 17-18lbs but I was thinking 25+ lbs should be ok for the short 660 run and last till I can do off season teardown/rebuild.
only gonna be running 3-5 events a year.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
The other guys have headshims, I'm hoping they are gonna let me run studs and I'll o ring the head so I can keep stock compression, I have a 2871 impulse race kit for this sled i'll likely be running the impulse ECU, my budget wont allow for anything like a vipec, my other option is a boost it controller but I would like to save that for another sled. When i get the sled done I'm hoping I can talk to paul about additional tuning if required

Premium Features