• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new to me 99 rmk 700!

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Cheap regulators dont least, so there is a good chance that this regulator was just poorly made and the insides didnt hold up. Also if your getting that high of voltage out of your stator to fry regulators your stator might be going bad. When they start to go sometimes you get weird high voltage spikes. Seen it before on an Ultra. They are correct in saying the Cat regulator is 100 X better though. Only thing is the cat regulator has one wire instead of 2. You will have to ground the ground wire to the chassis. I just put a round wire end on the ground wire and then put one of the mounting rivets or bolts whatever you prefer through the loop and the regulator hole.

Also you MUST MUST MUST verify that your main jets and needle jets are correct before you just take peoples advice to adjust your fuel and air screws to bring down a high idle. In this case it seems like that may have been the answer but dont just take peoples word for it without first verifying the information.

A high idle condition could have been your mains being too lean as well resulting in the sled blowing up if you ran it that way. Your needles dictate what main jets you have to run. Needle jets are one of the least understood and most overlooked aspect of jetting with rack style carbs. Especially the Series 9 Mikuni needles, as there is not much real good information on them in terms of richness or leaness. the letters and numbers do tell you some stuff but you need to be able to understand what the information tells you as the needles move through the carb bore and how the needle position dictates how the motor runs at what throttle position... Anyway...

Sharing idea's and getting advice is a great thing and the internet can be a very useful tool but just dont take peoples words for the gospel as they dont know the exact history of the sled and what all has been done to it over the years. Make sure you put in the wrench time and first verify that what your dealing with is in fact the correct parts. It makes trouble shooting much easier.

Last edited:
K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
Thank you for the knowledge! Ya what you are saying about the advice from other people and not knowing the history of the sled is very true. I basically try to bounce ideas around and try to decide what is closest to my issue and then go from there. These forums have been very helpful!

Ive ridden this sled quite a few times now and seems to be a pretty awesome sled. I havent cut the sway bar yet but I need to because I can see the benefit for sure. To be sure, that is the small bar that goes throuhgh the bulkhead to each side that is kind of curved right? And I just cut it out?

Premium Features