• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bog at engagement RPM

S
Jan 11, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I Need some help. I am experiencing an intermittent bog at engagement RPM. gone after 4100 RPM. Machine makes power, see 8300 on tach. It only seems to happen after the machine has warmed up and after I ride a few miles. Its a '17 800 assault with an NSP clutch kit. there is about 2000 miles on the kit. 4000 on the sled. New belt about 800 miles ago. I have been more aggressive lately on the throttle playing around in deep and hilly terrain this year. I've done some reading on the subject and talked to SLP (cause I have a silencer), waiting to hear back from NSP. I'm being swayed to either put the sled back to stock and trying or could it be one or both of the clutch springs are getting soft? Its been progressively getting worse over the last couple weekends. Does this sound like it could be a clutching issue?

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
A couple things you can check.
Belt deflection. Loose can make it a little sluggish on the bottom.

Usually if your pri spring is dieing, engagement will happen at a lower rpm. If secondary is dieing, shifts out sooner. Sluggish.

When was the last time your primary was inspected? Bushings, button shims replaced? Is there alot of slop in the weights?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Getting bogs like that are easily casued by worn springs and loose/worn belts. I generally replace springs at the least every 1000 miles. Cheap insurance and that and a super narrow/worn belt and loose deflection can cause poor performance and bogging when pinned out of the hole.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
The 2 times I have seen bogs at tip in throttle both times sleds have had defective aftermarket silencers; baffles flopping around in the cans. I would try stock silencer. With your mileage, your clutches, springs could be worn out as well.

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
I've seen a rats nest up inside a can. It caused the same issues. Springs are $25 each. Bushings are cheaper and easier to knock out and push in. There are lots of guys on here that can and will point you in the right direction.

The weights shouldn't be sloppy side to side. If you have a spring psi gauge, you can check the springs. Installed ht and compressed.

S
Jan 11, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Pulled everything apart and even went back to stock clutching and stock silencer. still boggy below 4000 RPM. almost like its getting too much or not enough fuel. sounds like crap until 4100 rpm. Dealer had it yesterday and adjusted TPS and throttle cable and relearned valves. checked fuel pressure and it was good. I will add that its been hard to start when cold. Fires up and shuts down. will keep doing this unless I give it and blip the throttle for about 30 seconds. Once warmed up it idles fine. nothing they did made a difference. I wonder about the fuel sock? perhaps its torn or something and sucking too much fuel at low rpm? I've been very cautious when I fill it up. Even use a filter funnel every time.

S
Jan 11, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I did a compression test and got 100 PSI cold (water temp was 56) on both cylinders. Is this a bit low? Rode yesterday and down low she she bogs but past 5000 rpm seems to clean out and gets up and goes 95-97mph. Its as if its dropping a cylinder or running pig rich. If the top end was on its way out would I still get that really low boggy noise when rpm drops down to around engagement?

S
Jan 11, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Sleds at the dealer. Polaris came back after a week and said to change injectors. Now I wait another week to find out if that's the problem. Winter is too short for this ****. At least its under warranty.

Premium Features