• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What aftermarket belts work?

S
Nov 15, 2008
Northern ,wi
Looking for a spare to get out of woods don’t want a factory belt to sit all kinked up so will the gates 46c4387 work on my dads xcr switchback 850 just to get him home then can buy a new Polaris one ?

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I did one of the AC belts one year. It was cheaper, but i had to change my deflection every 150 miles or so. Just didn't last as long. I know they are ridiculously expensive, but the Poo belt is the way to go. I buy a spare and swap it out around 800 miles and use the old one as the used.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
The gates 45C4553 has worked good so far. Got probably 100 miles on it is all but no difference in performance from oem, $101 with a lifetime warranty. However they will not go in an axys belt holder. The carbon cord in them is designed to only flex one way. If you fold it back on itself it will break the carbon strands in it and you won’t get far when you do put it on. I broke in the oem one, then put it on the spare holder.

stcatman

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
cottonwood idaho
The gates 45C4553 has worked good so far. Got probably 100 miles on it is all but no difference in performance from oem, $101 with a lifetime warranty. However they will not go in an axys belt holder. The carbon cord in them is designed to only flex one way. If you fold it back on itself it will break the carbon strands in it and you won’t get far when you do put it on. I broke in the oem one, then put it on the spare holder.

sounds like a dope story to me or have you had personal experience , how do you know the cords break and they don't last long ?

stcatman

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
cottonwood idaho
I just called Gates they are only open mon. thru fri. I will call them mon, morn. I may have just threw away a $100 dollar bill

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I just called Gates they are only open mon. thru fri. I will call them mon, morn. I may have just threw away a $100 dollar bill

Yes sir, you did.
We have been preaching not to back bend them, on the forum, for several years.
If they are folded when you go to pick one up, refuse it also.

Last edited:

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
I think you would be better off with the 47C4572. I just switched from the 45 to 47. Its a tad longer. Better belt ratio. TRS has the knowledge here... I just do as Im told.

blkspd

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
BORING OR
The belts haven't worked for me the first one went a hundred miles before the top started coming apart . the second one went three hundred miles before it blew up.

20190129_051421.jpg
[/IMG]

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc

trs, I saw this same kind of failure on a new broken in belt, the top edge tore a section away, and even in that same section, the cogs looked more dull and mushy looking compared to the rest of the belt that looked normal, do you know what caused this?
The belt was broken in with heat cycles.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
trs, I saw this same kind of failure on a new broken in belt, the top edge tore a section away, and even in that same section, the cogs looked more dull and mushy looking compared to the rest of the belt that looked normal, do you know what caused this?
The belt was broken in with heat cycles.

I believe it pulled a cord. Usually it is from misalignment or another issue that has surfaced.
There are inconsistencies with the stock primary sheave angles. If they are cut to steep, under 13.5* the clutch grabs the top of the belt causing cord rip out and belt top failures. I’ve heard of faces that measured 11.5* to 15*.
I believe a consistent 14* sheave cut will save belts.
Production tolerances of clutches and belts may be stacking up to be causing problems.
My thoughts.

In the pic, you can see where the top of the belt is getting undue stress at engagement.

9E49D06A-8783-4254-9523-87142D6667BD.jpeg

Last edited:
S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I believe it pulled a cord. Usually it is from misalignment or another issue that has surfaced.
There are inconsistencies with the stock primary sheave angles. If they are cut to steep, under 13.5* the clutch grabs the top of the belt causing cord rip out and belt top failures. I’ve heard of faces that measured 11.5* to 15*.
I believe a consistent 14* sheave cut will save belts.
Production tolerances of clutches and belts may be stacking up to be causing problems.
My thoughts.

trs, my friends axys has been a belt blower from day 1, the dealer gave him a new primary and hes still blowing belts. Hes using the gates belts cause he gets them cheaper.

stcatman

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
cottonwood idaho
well I just went to the dealer and got a new Polaris 83 , thought I should change the original belt at 1,100 stock miles and 400 with the turbo, 1,500 miles is the longest I have ever ran a belt , still going to call Gates on Monday, any one want to buy a once bent never installed Gates carbon cheap ?

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
sounds like a dope story to me or have you had personal experience , how do you know the cords break and they don't last long ?
I have used many different varieties of gates belts in substantially higher horsepower industrial applications. Mostly the carbon poly chain gt’s (the consumer equipment version of the Polaris qd belt) most anything with a carbon cord is worthless if bent.

So no, I have never wasted my own money breaking a gates belt by bending them backwards. I’ve seem what they can do if treated properly, and I’ve had some of their other products not be treated properly and fail. I don’t need to throw a $100 bill out the window to relear others mistakes.

S
Nov 15, 2008
Northern ,wi
Where is a place to mount a extra cus not planning on using crappy holder on a trail model cus no tunnel bags. Use to throw em in bags when had mountain models. Still can’t get over no bags or storage places on a trail model new

Premium Features