• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MTNTK stand alone intercooler airbox

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
I had this built in hopes to lower intake temps on my 17 Axys with a MTNTK turbo kit. It uses a Bell Water 2 Air core material. Had a few rides on it. Preliminary testing shows substantial drops in intake temps. I want to get more rides on it in deep snow long pulls to report real temp drops. This works closed loop with the MTNTK exchanger and a Bosch pump. I ordered Silbers throttle body adapters and had them welded on to the airbox. Very positive secure fit.

IMG_2430.jpg

Last edited:

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Do you have some sort of gauge with a temp probe in the air box to show intake temps?

I'm using the temp feature on my Koso X2 gauge to show intake air temps. I had a friend TIG a bung onto the side of the Boondocker air box for the sensor.

Instead of using the little BD heat ex-changer and the engine cooling system, I ordered the bulk head cooler for an SKS and installed that in my Pro-RMK to be my heat ex-changer and it's isolated from the engine cooling system. So far, I've seen intake temps stay in the mid 60s to mid 70s but the snow wasn't that good so possibly it may drop a little when in deeper snow.

ez-ryder

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Dawson Creek B.C.
Can you post a picture of it installed and or the side with the charge tube going in?

I just bought a 14 pro with a mtntk.
Would like to intercool it next year.

When you changed out the airbox did you have to adjust the map?

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
You shouldn’t have to change your map as intercooling would produce similar results to riding on a very cold or colder than average day

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Do you have some sort of gauge with a temp probe in the air box to show intake temps?

I'm using the temp feature on my Koso X2 gauge to show intake air temps. I had a friend TIG a bung onto the side of the Boondocker air box for the sensor.

Instead of using the little BD heat ex-changer and the engine cooling system, I ordered the bulk head cooler for an SKS and installed that in my Pro-RMK to be my heat ex-changer and it's isolated from the engine cooling system. So far, I've seen intake temps stay in the mid 60s to mid 70s but the snow wasn't that good so possibly it may drop a little when in deeper snow.
The MTNTK kit comes with the Bullydog and it monitors just about everything the engine is doing including intake intake temps. When I saw of the intake temps I was getting after big long pulls, I figured it needed better core material. Cold dense air is free power. I saw your thread on your intercooler. The SKS bulkhead cooler is perfect for the job.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Can you post a picture of it installed and or the side with the charge tube going in?

I just bought a 14 pro with a mtntk.
Would like to intercool it next year.

When you changed out the airbox did you have to adjust the map?

What roughrider said. Instead of going from 20-150 degree intake temps. Im going from 20-100 lets say for conversation. I have had a couple of intercooled sleds and non. One of the big things is engine and underhood temps. They love cold air.
Ill post you some more pics

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I have the BMP Bully Dog turbo tune on mine, but it will only show intake temps from before the turbo. The way I set mine up is showing me intake air temps in the air box that is connected to the throttle bodies. The Poo TBAP on my sled is in the air plenum before the turbo.

I'm not that familiar with Mtn Tek's turbo kit to know where they have the various sensors located.

Last edited:

ez-ryder

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Dawson Creek B.C.
The map is based on air temp among other things so I can't imagine it changing things much.

Shawn at mtntk said he couldn't provide a map for an intercooled pro. And that a fuel controller would need to be added for some slight adjustments.

So I guess the map for the intercooled and non-intercooled axys must be slightly different.

You found original axys intercooler to have limitations?
I noticed in the pics of the kit. That the air flow through it seemed different than others. Or was it just too small.

Thanks for the info on your findings.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
I have the BMP Bully Dog turbo tune on mine, but it will only show intake temps from before the turbo. The way I set mine up is showing me intake air temps in the air box that is connected to the throttle bodies. The Poo TBAP on my sled is in the air plenum before the turbo.

I'm not that familiar with Mtn Tek's turbo kit to know where they have the various sensors located.

The MAP sensor is located on the cold side of the airbox on MTNTK. Yours is a BD turbo kit? MAP sensor before the turbo?

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
The MAP sensor is located on the cold side of the airbox on MTNTK. Yours is a BD turbo kit? MAP sensor before the turbo?
The stock intake sensor is still in the air plenum, just a different location than stock. BD has another sensor in their supplied air box for the Electronic Boost Control.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
The map is based on air temp among other things so I can't imagine it changing things much.

Shawn at mtntk said he couldn't provide a map for an intercooled pro. And that a fuel controller would need to be added for some slight adjustments.

So I guess the map for the intercooled and non-intercooled axys must be slightly different.

You found original axys intercooler to have limitations?
I noticed in the pics of the kit. That the air flow through it seemed different than others. Or was it just too small.

Thanks for the info on your findings.
MTNTK didn't build a cooled and non intercooled Axys turbo kit to the best of my knowledge.
Like I said in my original post... I haven't had the conditions to be conclusive on my testing.
Does the original airbox have limitations?
The original airbox is very good. IMHO I saw way to build something better. And I just can't leave well enough alone. When I say better.. I mean using Bell Intercoolers water 2 air core material and making the box a little wider, bigger, and more surface area. For the masses... Is this needed? Probably not. Out on the west coast with heavy deep snow and some long pulls I was seeing some pretty high intake temps. And I love projects.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013

I wasn't aware BMP has a turbo tune for the Axys. How does it run?

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
When I put my Mtntk kit on I made the intercooler a stand-alone setup and super happy with it, it was definitely cramming 10lbs of crap into a 5lb bag though. Rode with an identical sibler axys, 5psi on mine was comparable to his 7lbs. Water to air inter cooled with engine coolant is a waste, colder air is always better and the small pump required for intercooler has minimal amperage draw.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I wasn't aware BMP has a turbo tune for the Axys. How does it run?

They developed it last season along with a turbo specific pipe. So far my sled runs great.

FYI on the BMP Bully Dog turbo tune I'm running. It was developed on a sled running a BD Sidekick along with the Boondocker box, so it should NOT be used on a MtnTek turbo system instead of the MtnTek Bully Dog tune.

Last edited:

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
They developed it last season along with a turbo specific pipe. So far my sled runs great.

FYI on the BMP Bully Dog turbo tune I'm running. It was developed on a sled running a BD Sidekick along with the Boondocker box, so it should NOT be used on a MtnTek turbo system instead of the MtnTek Bully Dog tune.
Appreciate that. No I wouldn’t was just wondering . MTNTK has there Tune pretty much nailed

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Was out today riding. Working my sled pretty hard and some long pulls. Intake temps are 85 degree max. Pretty big drop from what I had. No power fade. Its running crisp strong and cool. Very happy with the mod.

Last edited:
Premium Features