• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ethanol gas in non ethanol setting

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I was wondering if any one has been running eth gas in non eth mode? I was chatting with a well known tuner and he told me, riders in his area are using 91 eth gas in non eth mode with no neg results. Iv tried 87 and 89 with 5% eth with no neg results and if anything, has made my sled more responsive, has anyone else try doing this, if so , what are your observations?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Ive played around with it over the years (on the axys, not the 850). If you have a stock sled, which is likely a little on the rich/safe side, its a good way to lean out the entire fuel curve.
If you have a pipe, or head and no tuner I would be careful.

Another time this can be handy (even with a pipe) is on a real deep powder day when your intake vents are getting covered with snow all day long and killing the air flow, switch to non-eth mode to lean it out a little bit.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Ive played around with it over the years (on the axys, not the 850). If you have a stock sled, which is likely a little on the rich/safe side, its a good way to lean out the entire fuel curve.
If you have a pipe, or head and no tuner I would be careful.

Another time this can be handy (even with a pipe) is on a real deep powder day when your intake vents are getting covered with snow all day long and killing the air flow, switch to non-eth mode to lean it out a little bit.

Dead on. It usually works a little better at altitude too. I ride over 10k so it's a little richer than sea level. I do it all the time and it works great for me. But as SRX said, when I had a head on, I got some detonation down low (but ran great once I got up higher).

Last edited:
S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
Our 91 marked gas around my area in bc is all non eth, iv been switching back and forth between 91 non and 89 5% and i def can see the dif and ive just clued into it after chatting with a friend when he mentioned that our 89 was 5%, i was only thinking i was putting in less octane. So in short, iv been using 89 eth in non eth mode at 5500-6500 feet with no issues other than a awsome running sled.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Apparently the factory fuel maps are very conservative, I have done as mentioned for approximately 12,000 miles since 2012 and have never had a lean burndown although I do run 100% stock machines. Your sled will gain about 50 RPM's and will run a little crisper. I also ride at 9,000 to 11,000'.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Every person I know on a axys 800 or 850 in our snowmobile club about 40 people, run 91 with ethonal set on 91 non eth mode. We start out at sea level but climb to 2000' in 10 km. And ride up to 4500'. Never have any det issue.

Premium Features