• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Patriot 850 failure rate less than 2%

J
Feb 5, 2016
New mapping went out yesterday.

Not sure other brands would have been that forward in disclosing their failure rates as Polaris has just done. Good on them.

Less than 1% for PTO bearings
Less than 2% for crankshafts
Less than 2% for oil check valves

Ride in peace. They advised issues occured during break in periods, very unlikely to occure past break in.

Can’t add the polaris release photo on this forum, this is very frustrating trying to add pictures on this forum, seems likes it needs an update lol. Im sure someone else will find a way to add it

Last edited:

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
So dealers should have access to it now? Is there a specific technical bulletin it's related to? Sled is at dealer so hopefully I can get it flashed.:thumb:

OTM

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
Thanks for posting this, I'm glad they came out with it. But unless I misread it, it looks like your title should be less than 5%. Which is still too much but sounds like they have it fixed, and most issues have been in the breakin period. No comment on the cylinder finish/or top ends going down either. Must not be having the horrible failures that indydan predicted.... Glad to hear they have a new flash as well. Lol, Now it makes me wonder what the haters will cry about next.....

H
Oct 16, 2010
5% at the half way point of season number 1 which admittedly started very late is pretty horrible. I applaud them for putting those numbers out there though. When many of these sleds starts to get signifier miles there will be other failures due to wear, Polaris is going to take a beating on warranty work

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
How can any prove the numbers? They could say anything. If it is 10% do you think for one second they would publish that. No matter what the actual % is Polaris or Brp or Cat would down play it to a comfortable number to put eveyone at ease .

J
Feb 5, 2016
Thanks for posting this, I'm glad they came out with it. But unless I misread it, it looks like your title should be less than 5%. Which is still too much but sounds like they have it fixed, and most issues have been in the breakin period. No comment on the cylinder finish/or top ends going down either. Must not be having the horrible failures that indydan predicted.... Glad to hear they have a new flash as well. Lol, Now it makes me wonder what the haters will cry about next.....

You can def. see it this way, I saw it as the most it has been was less than 2%.

One can play with the numbers how he wants. We can bring another brand and add up all there little issues and come up with 10 % im sure. Lol All in all, if what they wrote is true, I think those numbers are great when you take into account they sold 14k sleds.

J
Feb 5, 2016
How can any prove the numbers? They could say anything. If it is 10% do you think for one second they would publish that. No matter what the actual % is Polaris or Brp or Cat would down play it to a comfortable number to put eveyone at ease .

The reality is no one will ever know for sure. But i’d say if the numbers are super high and they would lie about it, down the road it would def. get known and bite them in the ass.

Not sure about you guys but in the last 2-3 weeks we haven’t seen as much failures on here or facebook.. ppl have been putting miles and miles now, pretty much everywhere. Maybe they are right about most of the issues were in break in.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
5% at the half way point of season number 1 which admittedly started very late is pretty horrible. I applaud them for putting those numbers out there though. When many of these sleds starts to get signifier miles there will be other failures due to wear, Polaris is going to take a beating on warranty work

No matter what you drive, ride, operate that has an engine, it WILL have failures due to wear, because they DO wear out . ..eventually :)

I would say the 2% may or may not be a high number, due to us out in this area seeing far less than that. I personally have not seen a single failure and only heard of one oil line issue.

H
Oct 16, 2010
No matter what you drive, ride, operate that has an engine, it WILL have failures due to wear, because they DO wear out . ..eventually :)

I would say the 2% may or may not be a high number, due to us out in this area seeing far less than that. I personally have not seen a single failure and only heard of one oil line issue.

But they’re admitting 5% which in a half season is a really high rate no matter what you drive. That’s one in 20 down already this early in the season only accounting for engine issues

J
Feb 5, 2016
But they’re admitting 5% which in a half season is a really high rate no matter what you drive. That’s one in 20 down already this early in the season only accounting for engine issues

You are adding them up... taking your view into account, ski doo’s would be near100% failure rate then, they pretty much all blow belts left and right.

As I have stated above, seems likes it’s been quiet in the last 2-3 weeks.. coincidentally, everyone has probably been passed the break in period.

Time will tell buddy

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
You are adding them up... taking your view into account, ski doo’s would be near100% failure rate then, they pretty much all blow belts left and right.

As I have stated above, seems likes it’s been quiet in the last 2-3 weeks.. coincidentally, everyone has probably been passed the break in period.

Time will tell buddy

Of coarse you add them up, they are all engine failures.

2% crank + 2% oil line + 1% bearing = 5% major engine failure rate.

There is no comparison between blowing a belt and being down for 10 minutes and blowing an engine and being down for a month.

H
Oct 16, 2010

Time will tell buddy

We aren’t talking doos and no there aren’t that many belt blowers.

Do you honestly believe a manufacturer wouldn’t lump those failures into the same bucket if they were the same? They’re purposely making the most tested, most reliable engine they’ve ever built look worse?

Really man, I’m watching this stuff cause I think they’re a fine machine but it’ll be 3 to 4 years before I could trust the reliability. On the flatlands there are tons of them that haven’t made it out of breakin and at low elevations they should make even more power. That’s a big concern for a guy like me that might hold it to the bars for minutes on end on a rail bed while at sea level

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana

There is no comparison between blowing a belt and being down for 10 minutes and blowing an engine and being down for a month.

Isn't the oil line issue what causes the center bearing issue? I'd count those as the same 2%, then ptobearing being 1%, so 2+1= 3%.

Also from what I've heard, Polaris has been getting parts/ engines to dealers within a few days for those that have gone down.

powwow

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
East Kootenay
Well we can hope it's short time problems with mostly manufacturing issues and doesn't turn into a long-term issue. It would be nice if most of them were in a bad batch. Failure rate should be better after they all grenade. Sucks for the guys with problems.

J
Feb 5, 2016

There are no way of telling how Polaris is holding up against Cat or DOO, unless i missed it, I have never seen them pulling out numbers like Polaris just did.

For the ones who says blowing a belt isn’t a an issue, tell that to the guys who blew 10-15-20 belts a season at $240 a piece, and it’s not warrantied. Do the math and tell me it’s not something to be bothered about.

All brands have some issues. The fact is the majority of 850’s patriots are holding up with no issues and pulls like a freight train.

Hope all of you guys end up with no issues.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
The reality is no one will ever know for sure. But i’d say if the numbers are super high and they would lie about it, down the road it would def. get known and bite them in the ass.

Not sure about you guys but in the last 2-3 weeks we haven’t seen as much failures on here or facebook.. ppl have been putting miles and miles now, pretty much everywhere. Maybe they are right about most of the issues were in break in.

If the numbers were super high all of us guys riding them would know, I believe the Polaris numbers as I know quite a few people in the know and they are saying the same. A few problems but not many and if you made it through break in there have been very few after.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
Isn't the oil line issue what causes the center bearing issue? I'd count those as the same 2%, then ptobearing being 1%, so 2+1= 3%.

Also from what I've heard, Polaris has been getting parts/ engines to dealers within a few days for those that have gone down.

Good point

Premium Features