• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is a 850 worth the extra money

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
The big difference for me is the 850 runs more consistent than the 800 day in and day out. I think the better engine mounting, heavier more torque crank, and better electronics make the 850 shine. The 800ho will run good IF your motor mounts, clutch bushings, springs, etc. are replaced every couple hundred miles, and then you have to keep pipe heat hot enough to continually pull peak rpm. Just seems like the 800 is a much more finicky motor and hard to keep up on the wear items. My 850 pulls consistent rpm all day every day no matter what. At 600 miles my clutch bushings and rollers still look great. the 800ho seamed to eat those parts about every 4-500 miles. Not saying the 800 is a bad sled at all, my 17 800 with 1900 miles is still impressive and will put a smile on anybody's face, but the 850 IMO, is significantly better day to day. is it 4-5k better?? only you can decide that I guess, but I know im not disappointed in my purchase

Matthew runge

Goldy
Premium Member
Oct 5, 2018
Minnesota
Thanks for all the good info. I still have not make a decision. The prices are pretty good right now on a lot af machines so it is making things hard. I just want the best sled for my money. I do not care what brand but am still thinking the 18 Axys for 9 grand is the Marist bang for my buck unless I wait and sc a 2020 850. Or maybe I need to go rent a 2019 850 doo and see if I can ride the thing decent because they seem to be reliable and good handeling if ya can ride one

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I had an unfortunate incident with my '18 800 a couple weeks ago. The front h-arm in the rear suspension broke then went through the track, through the top of the tunnel, through the gas tank. It wiped out the track, tunnel, bulkhead, and driveshaft, totaled. I was struggling with going with an 850 or a cheap holdover '18 800, but it would have cost me an additional $5,400 to get into an 850 so I went with the 800 again. I rode with a couple 850's last weekend and am not sure if the performance gains would have been worth the money. I kept up just fine on my 800 and did not get left in the dust. It's kind of fun highmarking side by side with the tried and proven 800, had one very talented 850 rider scratching his head. Good Times!! The 850 definitely launches harder but after the initial launch I've found my 800 doesn't get left by much. We did several rolling start drags up a good hardpack hillclimb, ski to ski on the hardpack. The jury is still out in my mind whether the extra $$$ are worth it. I personally have a real problem choking up $15,500 with tax on a sled, getting a wee bit ridiculous.

CaptNCoke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Edgewood, Wa
I ordered and bought a 850. Honestly I’d buy the 800 and slap a Boondocker Sidekick on it.
After putting a sidekick on my buddies 800, the fun factor speaks for itself. It will out perform a stock 850 all day long. Hp is hp, a turbo’d 800 has more hp than a stock 850, simple math.( just saying that you could buy a 800 and slap a Boondocker sidekick on it for the price of a 850)
They did some great things with the 850 motor and chassis, but I hate to openly admit, being a polaris guy, I really wish I would have waited a year or two on the new motor. I’ve been trying to clutch to improve the low end bog, it helped but it needs Different mapping for sure, top end pulls strong, but not what I was hoping for with all the hype.
I had my 17 800 dialed in, so maybe that’s why I’m not all giddy about my 850. No wow factor for sure.
And I really hate riding every weekend not knowing if the motor is going to hold together,
I will be really disappointed if it lets me down for sure.
Just my 2 cents.

P
Oct 10, 2009
Park City, UT
The 850 power is awesome and the narrow front end is a huge difference. But the reliability of the 800 is proved. The 850 has had way too many issues the first year. Through a turbo and narrow front end on an 800 would be a better option.

Way to many 850 issues ? Compared to what ? Every year sleds have failures. It cracks me up that because it’s the first year of the 850 everyone thinks it’s flawed because some people have issues. My 17 Axys Pro exploded crank bearings at 500 miles ... doesn’t mean all the Axys Pros are crap lol

Get the 800 if you don’t have the money for the 850 ... otherwise buy the updated faster 850. Both are great, the 850 is better ... and FYI I have both.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
The 850 power is awesome and the narrow front end is a huge difference. But the reliability of the 800 is proved. The 850 has had way too many issues the first year. Through a turbo and narrow front end on an 800 would be a better option.

It has?? A few questions . . .

1) Do you own an 850 polaris?
2) Did you have a failure or other issue with it?
3) Have you personally seen a failure or issue someone else had? (not, a friend who has a buddy who thought he saw or heard of one)
4) Where did you get this info about "too many issues"?
5) Did you go to a reliable source, like a dealer, and ask them? Believe me, you will NOT find accurate info about "issues" with the 850 engine on here.

Cheers!

P
Oct 10, 2009
Park City, UT

3) Have you personally seen a failure or issue someone else had? (not, a friend who has a buddy who thought he saw or heard of one)
5) Did you go to a reliable source, like a dealer, and ask them? Believe me, you will NOT find accurate info about "issues" with the 850 engine on here.

Cheers!

Agreed !

For sure it’s been found that they can flood, mine did once, and some experience they are running rich in the low end , probably more during break in I suspect. Many guys don’t even understand that the breakin mapping extends until you’re past 10 hours over 5500 rpm. I have over 300 miles on mine boondocking in Utah powder and it runs like a champ. I run it in non eth mode with non eth gas. The belt had to be tightened up quite a few times in the first 150 miles. Changed the plugs after 200 miles. The 850 crushes my 17 800 with an SLP stage 2.

Last edited:
P
Oct 10, 2009
Park City, UT

Cheers!

If I blow mine up I’ll let ya’all know. Brap!

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
ND

I was in the same position a week ago, buy an 800 with one year warranty for 9k or what I found is a few 850 snow checks with 90-250 miles on them for 13k. I went with the 850 for 4K more, I like the extra warranty and I found one with snow check colors, which I don’t care what color it is, I just like the painted tunnel and rails idea. Hopefully it will be worth the extra money in the long run, having the newer technology, because I’ll have it for 4-5 years instead of having an 800 for 2-3 and wanting to trade. Only you can decide if the money is better in your pocket or someone else’s :face-icon-small-hap

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Definitely ride a doo before you buy one - I've been riding about 10 years and still, when I get on a doo, it feels like it's my first day riding. I can ride a Cat no problem.

Everyone says better electronics on the 2019 Polaris - what specifically is better?

And I would say put an extra $5k in your pocket. I have a 17 AXYS 155 with only about 800/900 mile son it; only has a can and it rips / runs strong!

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
The tps system and the connections are much better sealed looking it over several other little changes here and there. The shock package IMO the best Polaris has ever offered in a mt sled. It's really amazing how this sled pulls when you think you are stuck somehow it gets out.

lrs

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Litchfield, MN
I went with the 850. Am very glad I did. No issues at all at 700 miles. I think the motor is quite a bit stronger than my 2015 800. And a 4 year warranty is very comforting. I have no complaints on the 800. Just feel that planning on keeping it for 4 years, the price difference was not that great compared to the performance upgrade. Admit to being fortunate to be able to afford the extra price...The prices of these toys keep edging up.

P
Oct 10, 2009
Park City, UT
Definitely ride a doo before you buy one - I've been riding about 10 years and still, when I get on a doo, it feels like it's my first day riding. I can ride a Cat no problem.

Everyone says better electronics on the 2019 Polaris - what specifically is better?

And I would say put an extra $5k in your pocket. I have a 17 AXYS 155 with only about 800/900 mile son it; only has a can and it rips / runs strong!

The doo is a great sled for sure, but it is not as strong as the Polaris. I’ve gone head to head with a friends 19 doo 850 and it doesn’t keep up... ever. Both are stock other than cans.

BlazinBill

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Twin Cities, MN
Non-mountain 850 feedback for ya’ -

Have an 850 SB 144 2” Assault and my buddies and I (veteran mountain riders) were disappointed by the low end acceleration – kinda boring. The stock 155 800 Pro RMK in our group at sea level spanked the short track 850 up to 50 on the trails and in boon docking situations where the 850 SB Assault didn’t feel playful…limiter strap out, and still not much transfer.

To remedy, I went out and got a ’19 800 Assault SKS 146. That 800 SKS has the bottom end fun and crazy pull the 850 SB Assault is lacking…same gearing, but smaller drivers, different clutching on the SKS. All in all, the 850 is smoother, quieter, starts better cold and keeps pulling past the 800 on the very top – BUT the 800 SKS is more fun and flickable, at least in this comparison. Maybe the 850 SKS 146 Assault is a totally different ski popping flickable sled….if someone has one…I’d like to know.

Those not as performance oriented (like my GF and brother) preferred the 850 SB Assault.

I wouldn’t hesitate getting a super deal on an 800, I think the low end has some extra snap advantages - plus you save your $5k. I on the other hand didn't save $5K on my 800! Just supporting my dealer and the sport.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
New Leftover 800. Slap a sidekick or silber on it. Still a couple grand under the new 850 and more power and FUN!

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
New Leftover 800. Slap a sidekick or silber on it. Still a couple grand under the new 850 and more power and FUN!

I agree power wise that is a smart move. But the new front end is just that much better on the new models. It is my favorite upgrade on the 19's. I havent had any issues with mine and it's the best sled I have ever ridden. Fyi, I am coming from a 16 155 w a silber.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I agree power wise that is a smart move. But the new front end is just that much better on the new models. It is my favorite upgrade on the 19's. I havent had any issues with mine and it's the best sled I have ever ridden. Fyi, I am coming from a 16 155 w a silber.

Does the 19’ 800 come with the new front end?

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
As much as I want a 850 I just can’t get over spending 15k for a snowcheck. I used to be all about the snowcheck but I feel like the only thing you get with it is being able to pick what color you want. Not really any special deals when that year is a few grand less come January. Of course if you want the 850 you’re probably going to have to snowcheck again this year. In my head I think if I pick up a leftover come fall. Maybe you’re 10k give or take a 500 either way. Turbo $3500 and could do an awesome suspension for $2k. You’re looking at the same price as that years new sled that is stock! Like mentioned above though the turbo voids the warranty but, if you have a dealer that’s good to work with you can get most things still warrantied as long as the turbo didn’t cause it. Guess you have to pay to play is the saying. If you want the most bad a$$ stock sled snowchecking is the way to go. But, how many of us really leave them stock? ;) I might eat my own words this spring and order a new 850 but right now I’m leaning towards picking up a 19’ come fall and doing what I stated above. Guess time will tell!

On a side not I am very impressed with that new 850! The power is impressive!

Premium Features