• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best cabin rental location for sledding in IP

A
Jan 28, 2010
 Looking to rent a cabin in island park and just wondering which location is close to the best riding. I see there is basically three locations( Kilgore rd,Mack's inn area and henrys lake) just wanna get to good safe places with out having to trailer. Not much interested in mt Jefferson I hear it's sketchy any advice appreciated. 

A
Jan 28, 2010
Just would like to be close to the best riding areas with the least amount of trail riding. Cabin needs to be 3 to 4 bedroom a fairly large group,would like a hot tub because we are old and muscles get sore. Looks to like to me the henrys lake area is closet to most of,the best riding areas but someone chime I'm if Iam wrong

iplocal

Always looking for new mountain riding partners!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2015
Island Park, ID & Mt St Helens, WA
I live on Henrys Lake in the winter for snowmobile season and in my opinion it is closest to everything save for the end of Kilgore road of course, which is not a big deal because that is usually the most tracked up anyway, due to the Idaho/Utah "locals". Unless you like riding trails there is no place in west yellowstone or IP that I recommend riding all the tourist moguls and ditch banging vs just trailering for 5-10minutes to. It is a luxury, might as well enjoy it. Lions head and Two Top (be brave and explore through trees, trust me) are of course right here, you can also ride on the north side of Hebgen which is not a long drive from here. If you do want to go hit the centennials and Kilgore road it is about a 20-30 minute drive (trailering) depending on weather. This is one of the biggest areas on the country and again, in my humble opinion it is a waste of time and gas to use trails. I mean, people come here to ride the amazing slopes and perfect powder. I have never understood why anyone would waste time and energy on trails unless they are flatlanders and that is your thing. We do have a crazy good trail system here though if thats what you are after. Have fun guys.

A
Jan 28, 2010
I think most tourists like myself need the trails because we don't know the short cuts to get to the goods. But it sounds like being on the north side close to henrys lake is where we need to be. What is the name of riding area at the end of Kilgore rd called?

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Yeah, Different strokes for different folks. For me Yale Kilgore is ground zero for Island Park. It's about halfway to everywhere, get's the best snow totals, and avoids a lot of those hideous winds that you get on the north side of town. All in all, however, you cant go wrong either way

iplocal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2015
???What? LOL. Halfway to where, Last Chance &trout hunter restaurant? The only thing south/West/East of Yale Kilgore are gentle meadows and lighter snow/landmines. I have a buddy that rented a cabin in Centennial Shores (IP Reservoir) for two months this year and the wind has been horrible over there, whereas my place has been great. He is also sick of being so far away from everything. His words not mine. I also have a pic from two months ago with my buddies sled getting destroyed by a tree that fell on it due to high winds in the burn area off...wait for it...Yale Kilgore Road. Don't confuse Henrys Lake and Lionshead with the flats on HWY 20 in terms of wind.
If you are mountain rider Henrys Lake is actually halfway between all the mountains. Rasmussen agrees which is why his operation is located in the area I speak of, but I guess what does he know? Ever wonder why in Snowest IP pics the Centennials are often in the BACKGROUND? If you ride trails, as I said in the previous post, then you will love Yale Kilgore which also has excellent mountain riding. I am not hating on being in south IP, its all good everywhere here. But look, I don't care where people stay but at least be honest with them vs pushing some agenda. I'm just trying to help these guys, I don't care where they spend their money. That said, trust me you are going to get bored and will want to go into west yellowstone for restaurants, bars, grocery stores and movies. You just added a half hour to your drive each way by staying down there.

A
Jan 28, 2010
Have to push the trip off a week. We are going to state my freshman daughter starter on the varsity team.( super proud dad if u can't tell) only thing in the world that would make me miss a snowmobile trip. Any way thanks for the info I'll check in on snow later. Ps where is Jefferson

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Whoa, dont get excited IP, "pushing some agenda" not sure how you interpreted that in my post. The OP simply asked a question and I gave my opinion. I like the area, it's an easy 15 minute haul to the springs, 15 minutes to the warming hut, about 15 minutes to Harriman. Or I have the option of a fairly short ride from my house to Sawtelle, Hell Roaring Canyon/Jefferson, or the ice house Creek area. Not everyone's here to ride the steepest terrain. I love plinking around the trees, as well as going up "high" from time to time. Judging by the traffic on Yale Kilgore I see every winter, I'm not alone in my thinking. It's all good everywhere here. Just not every one here is a Rasmussen disciple, Not that's there anything wrong with that :) and I dont think there is any shame in using a trail to get to the "goods" Have a nice day

Last edited:

iplocal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2015
Sorry bro, I probably over reacted. I have been coming here for 12 years and have lived here (winter only) for the last 7. My first few years of coming here though were frustrating because I got a lot of misinformation from locals and business owners who did have an agenda. Apologies, just trying to make sure the people that come here get a chance to understand why all the publications out there always refer to IP&West Yellowstone as gods gift to sledding. Too many people leave here shaking their heads which is ultimately damaging to all businesses in the area.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
It's all good IP, I moved here from Alaska five years ago.. was looking for the snowiest place with the cheapest real estate in the states to retire to, and found this joint. Best move I ever made. :face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features