• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Belt toast. 384 miles. Low snow.

phatboy07

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2009
Sled is a 850 163 3 inch. 384 miles and I Have not been able to make it to the the mountians yet so I have been riding around home. Snow is nowhere near what the mountians would be but it’s deep enough to ride in without wrecking the track. Went to add a new SLP primary spring and adjustable weights tonight and found the stock primary spring broken, and when I inspected the belt I found a crack/hole on the underside of the belt in the middle of the lugs. I was running 72 g weights (Polaris) and getting 8400 ish rpm (out of break in). It did drop to 8150-8200 ish Last 2 rides which I now equate to the broken primary spring (maybe?) I have attached a picture of the belt. I’m curious if anyone has any insight or anything I should check as I don’t think the belt should be down after 384 miles of low snow running. Could the broken primary spring or bing under weighted have affected the belt?

AFC25A87-D214-48A9-85D5-8A001250AE62.jpeg

Davajn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2012
Sweden
www.instagram.com
Feels like that belt could be warrantied. Have had some odd belts warrantied so just talk to your dealer.
Belts tend to have some failure rate that aint connected to "bad abuse".

Nothing is perfect in this world :face-icon-small-win

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Interesting on the spring, 3rd one i've heard of broken with low miles on it...wonder if they got a bad run of them?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
It looks to me like that it may have been a belt deflection issue. If your belt is overly tight it will heat the inner side of the belt, especially at idle. It looks like you overheated the belt at idle and cooked it, sometimes they will squeal to let you know, other times not.

Premium Features