• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Patriot Owners- Poll Failure or Not

Has Your 850 Failed. Vote multiple times if you have multiple 850s

• No

Votes: 341 81.2%
  • Yes, Top End

Votes: 18 4.3%
  • Yes, Bottom End

Votes: 61 14.5%

• Total voters
H
Oct 16, 2010
55 years of riding my own sled, 100,000 miles, i should know a little about sleds.

72 years young and still love sledding.

Ill probably be putting on 500 miles on a 3 day weekend the rest of the year, probably into april

I see no trouble with Stan's post. What possible reason can you have to beat up on a honest guy with over 30 more years of riding experience before you were even born? And who cares if he puts 500 miles in 3 days??? Are you the new riding police?

I didn’t realize you were 72 last we chatted on the phone, sound like a very spry 72 if that’s the case, nicely done. I hope I’m still playing the pin it to win it game into my 70’s, we occasionally ride with a guy who is 75

:face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-coo

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
HATE to burst anyones bubble but I have 2100 miles, 72 hrs., and running stronger than ever,same rpm 8150- 8200. same compression 130lbs with my gauge, as it did at 500 miles. 115 mph then 115mph now, on dreameter. Pulling 17-18 mpg, 210 miles to a quart of oil,on good trails, fairly easy on the flipper, never fouled a plug, started every time, just changed plugs, after full throttle run,nice light brown color with very little carbon. DONT think for a minute that I baby this sled, .the flipper spends a lot of time pinned. 55 years of riding my own sled,100,000 miles,i should know a little about sleds. 72 years young and still love sledding.Ill probably be putting on 500 miles on a 3 day weekend the rest of the year,probably into april, ill let you guys know if the top end wears out. STAN

Hummm . . . So you joined in 2011 and just made your first post? Where you been for the past 8 years?? :)

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
2nd person you've asked that question to haha.

SARCASTICALLY "What are you, the join date and 1st post police?????!!"

*Think Zoolander's voice*
I have a theory, Polaris created those account wayback then and kept them silent for years keeping them in case they were in need of good press in a bad situation. 850 made them use these account.

don't believe everything you read

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
I have a theory, Polaris created those account wayback then and kept them silent for years keeping them in case they were in need of good press in a bad situation. 850 made them use these account.

don't believe everything you read

Timbre bleeds Poo and has his head in the poo sand box. next to the 00, 05 900 and 08 dragon and 11 pro turds and loves it.

Last edited:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Timbre bleeds Poo and has his head in the poo sand box. next to the 00, 05 900 and 08 dragon and 11 pro turds and loves it.

Hardee har har! Funny stuff rat thar! :)

What i "bleed" is a sled that works amazingly well for me . . . . as do you :)
As long as you like the cat . .ride it and be happy . .. just like i do with my Polaris.

Cheers!

Last edited:
J
Mar 19, 2008
250 hard miles on mine. Never touched it.
Sled flat out rips.
I’ve ridden with all 3 on each trip so far this season, and none get on the the snow and stay there like this one.
The deeper it gets the more that gap widens. Especially compared to the doo.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
If the flipper stayed Pinned as you are saying your average speed would not be 29 mph at 17-18 mpg lol. Nice story though it's almost believable. :juggle:
I agree with ur assessment of his post...
1 quart of oil at 210miles and 17.5 mpg =48:1 ratio. That's pretty heavy for that kind of fuel consumption.
His post is contradicting....

My ctec avg is 70:1 when i get some trail miles in and get 8mpg. 55:1 when the snow is deep and 5mpg. I have measured every oz of oil i have put in my last 2 sleds, to keep an eye on any changes.

My overall mph avg is 12.5 on my last 4 sleds(10yrs)previous models didn't have hr meters. I don't let my sled idle as much as all the Polaris guys i ride with, don't need to.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Someone who says this

"DONT think for a minute that I baby this sled, .the flipper spends a lot of time pinned."

Isn't averaging 30 mph on the trails. Give it up already, you just make yourself look worse and worse every time you post.

I was up in the arrowhead with my 850 this week-end, I ride with this group once a year in the Tofty area.

These dudes rock and roll...... Let's just say the flipper wasn't flipping much.

Our leader ran the I-500 many moons ago and he still rides like he ran it yesterday..... JESUS !!

12 hours on the sled..... Took off from tofty headed to Hungry Jack. ( about 70 to 75 miles ) the longer way not taking the express.

73 miles I used 6.6 gallons of fuel..... Not exactly joy riding.

I have rode harder then this..... About 5 years ago with my 2013 800 Switchback....... To fast.

Once I got past 10 hours the sled ran flawlessly..... It's turning 8450/8500 when I nail it out of the corners. And pulls like a freight train.

Out of the lake it holds 8350 like it's stuck there.... It was rough so I couldn't hold it super long time but nailed it several times and it goes to 8450 and levels off at 8350

On a side note...... The most impressive thing was the charging system.

I installed the Polaris heated seat.... I have my Tour master heated vest on and I could run both on high as long as I wanted to and the battery stayed fully charge.

Felt like I was in a sauna..... Handle bar warmers on low still are damn near to hot.

The electrical system is to die for..... Well done Polaris.

And the electric start actually worked at below zero temps.

And the other nice feature is almost no vibration..... So mush smoother then the Axys 800 motor.... love the motor mounts.

Note - the heated seat is the die for !

I will never ride another sled without one.

Dan

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I was up in the arrowhead with my 850 this week-end, I ride with this group once a year in the Tofty area.

These dudes rock and roll...... Let's just say the flipper wasn't flipping much.

Our leader ran the I-500 many moons ago and he still rides like he ran it yesterday..... JESUS !!

12 hours on the sled..... Took off from tofty headed to Hungry Jack. ( about 70 to 75 miles ) the longer way not taking the express.

73 miles I used 6.6 gallons of fuel..... Not exactly joy riding.

I have rode harder then this..... About 5 years ago with my 2013 800 Switchback....... To fast.

Once I got past 10 hours the sled ran flawlessly..... It's turning 8450/8500 when I nail it out of the corners. And pulls like a freight train.

Out of the lake it holds 8350 like it's stuck there.... It was rough so I couldn't hold it super long time but nailed it several times and it goes to 8450 and levels off at 8350

On a side note...... The most impressive thing was the charging system.

I installed the Polaris heated seat.... I have my Tour master heated vest on and I could run both on high as long as I wanted to and the battery stayed fully charge.

Felt like I was in a sauna..... Handle bar warmers on low still are damn near to hot.

The electrical system is to die for..... Well done Polaris.

And the electric start actually worked at below zero temps.

And the other nice feature is almost no vibration..... So mush smoother then the Axys 800 motor.... love the motor mounts.

Note - the heated seat is the die for !

I will never ride another sled without one.

Dan

HAHA, flatlanders.

Interesting that everything important to you guys is never even thought about in the mountains. Heated seats, heated vests, electric start, lake riding this is all a foreign language to us. Even fuel economy is different. We have a formula for that. Ride until you can't even stand anymore and if you have fuel left it is good on fuel. If your sled runs out before you do, its bad on fuel.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
HAHA, flatlanders.

Interesting that everything important to you guys is never even thought about in the mountains. Heated seats, heated vests, electric start, lake riding this is all a foreign language to us. Even fuel economy is different. We have a formula for that. Ride until you can't even stand anymore and if you have fuel left it is good on fuel. If your sled runs out before you do, its bad on fuel.

HAHA ! I am sure you're the bad Azz next coming of Christ mountain rider.

I just might also have a stripped down 163 Axys in my trailer also hot shot..... ( yes they are 2 different worlds )

From 1989 thru 2011 I never rode my flatlander sled...... Mountains only ( pretty much 95% Cooke City Montana )

I'll tell what big shot..... Bring your bad azz mountain sled over here to Northern Minnesota with your 1 inch high windshield and follow us around for 10 hours at 40 to 90 plus miles per hour at -20 degrees F ....... We'll be haul-in your tuff azz to the emergency room before noon with 3 degree frost bite......

Oh one more tip for you if you want to come over..... Bring your Moto cross helmet and goggles ( no duck tape allowed. )

Jezzzzz !

Last edited:

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB

I just might also have a stripped down 163 Axys in my trailer also hot shot..... ( yes they are 2 different worlds )

From 1989 thru 2011 I never rode my flatlander sled...... Mountains only ( pretty much 95% Cooke City Montana )

I'll tell what big shot..... Bring your bad azz mountain sled over here to Northern Minnesota with your 1 inch high windshield and follow us around for 10 hours at 40 to 90 plus miles per hour at -20 degrees F ....... We'll be haul-in your tuff azz to the emergency room before noon with 3 degree frost bite......

Oh one more tip for you if you want to come over..... Bring your Moto cross helmet and goggles ( no duck tape allowed. )

Jezzzzz !
Geez you're pretty quick to jump down someone's throat. Pretty sure he wasn't knocking the flatlanders whatsoever

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Geez you're pretty quick to jump down someone's throat. Pretty sure he wasn't knocking the flatlanders whatsoever

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Action equals reaction, Maybe I took it wrong.

I thought it was a slam to flatlander sleds.

It's a whole different load sleds, and a completely different bunch of gear bags.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001

Jezzzzz !

Wow It must be your time of the month. I didn't think he was slamming trail riders just pointing out what is valued by the different types of riding.

I agree on the handwarmers, at idle the 850 gets hot, 800 still cold when letting the sleds warm up in the morning.

S
Jan 12, 2011
AVERAGE m.p.h.

APPARENTLY Indy Dan does not know how to figure out average mph, you don't just divide total miles by total hours,every time you let a sled warmup every time you leave a sled idle, you are putting on hours but no miles,you cant believe how this cuts down your average mph, and this all depends how cold it is [engine takes longer to warm up] and how many times a day you stop, how many stop signs .and on and on. I never said I spend every minute at wide open throttle, if you ride hard 1/3 of the time and steady 2/3 of the time, you've still put your machine to a pretty good test.If you don't think you can get 17-18 mpg, go out on a 20 degree day on hard trails with very few corners and drive a fairly steady 40 or 50 and see what you get, I don't average 17-18 every trip, but I have quite a few fillups, 2 weeks ago I got 10 on the trails breaking 3 - 10 inches of snow.. As far as 500 miles a weekend, I should of said 3-day weekend,but to to tell someone you cant ride 500 miles a weekend, we had a guy years ago that rode 500 miles a day ,and I sure there is someone on here that knows people who ride to these extremes.WERE GOING TO FIND OUT BY THE END OF WINTER WHO RIGHT AND WHOS WRONG Indy dan or me,but seeing he said the rings would be wore out at 1500,i guess at 2100 miles , at least my engine has proved him wrong.I agree with the guy who posted most compression testers don't read right, especially ones with long hoses.I ALSO KNOW taking a leakdowm test is part of determining the shape your engine is in. Far as where I ride, the U.P. of MI., lots of railroad grades an forest roads, its a lot harder to put miles on in tight twisty trails. As far as my last post, being my first on this site WRONG, I was a member way back in 2011,but I am currently not a member.

S
Jan 12, 2011
Age is has nothing to do with this, just as you wish to be seen as an elder on any forum posting regurgitated information. Get out there and do it for yourself before posting. I am sure we can reference the 1000 SDI here somewhere give it a shot. :violin:

Stan's post contradicts its self twice, maybe reading and comprehension are not strong points for some from the South shore.
So now your saying everone from the south shore cant comprehend anything,if you look up all my post on H.C.S, you will find out that all ive did was try to help people out, by giving out honest information,ive been watching your posts for years and all you do is give out negative information.LIKE you said you will call out anyone,it seems like that's all you want to do,the last thing I want to do is get in a pissing match, that's the last thing this site needs, I hope the moderater looks at all the posts we have both made, then he can decide who the troublemaker is.Dear moderator I hope your not from the south shore. Sarcastic pubic post usually dig there own grave. My username on H.C.S is albee,my name is Stan

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
APPARENTLY Indy Dan does not know how to figure out average mph, you don't just divide total miles by total hours,every time you let a sled warmup every time you leave a sled idle, you are putting on hours but no miles,you cant believe how this cuts down your average mph, and this all depends how cold it is [engine takes longer to warm up] and how many times a day you stop, how many stop signs .and on and on. I never said I spend every minute at wide open throttle, if you ride hard 1/3 of the time and steady 2/3 of the time, you've still put your machine to a pretty good test.If you don't think you can get 17-18 mpg, go out on a 20 degree day on hard trails with very few corners and drive a fairly steady 40 or 50 and see what you get, I don't average 17-18 every trip, but I have quite a few fillups, 2 weeks ago I got 10 on the trails breaking 3 - 10 inches of snow.. As far as 500 miles a weekend, I should of said 3-day weekend,but to to tell someone you cant ride 500 miles a weekend, we had a guy years ago that rode 500 miles a day ,and I sure there is someone on here that knows people who ride to these extremes.WERE GOING TO FIND OUT BY THE END OF WINTER WHO RIGHT AND WHOS WRONG Indy dan or me,but seeing he said the rings would be wore out at 1500,i guess at 2100 miles , at least my engine has proved him wrong.I agree with the guy who posted most compression testers don't read right, especially ones with long hoses.I ALSO KNOW taking a leakdowm test is part of determining the shape your engine is in. Far as where I ride, the U.P. of MI., lots of railroad grades an forest roads, its a lot harder to put miles on in tight twisty trails. As far as my last post, being my first on this site WRONG, I was a member way back in 2011,but I am currently not a member.

Hold on I never said anything about MPH, I was talking MPG ( fuel )

500 in two days at 71 years old ? WOW !! That would be something to see.

Good for you ! Send us a picture of the sled and the speedo mileage. With today’s date should be about 2500 by now.

500 per day !! 99.9% no way unless it’s all roads no trails. Average 30 MPG PLUS FUEL AND OIL STOPS !

That’s going to take 20 plus hours ??*♂️

Not impossible but as close to impossible as it gets.

Dan

Premium Features