• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Indy Specialty clutch work on my RMK

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Prayn4snow: It has come to my attention that so suffer from “CRS”. A come thing in older adults.

Your right, Its getting worse as I get older! Now its just priorities. I need to get ready to leave for X-games and going on tour with Paul Thacker. I use sticky notes now to remember what to pack lol.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
For any of you doing work on your own clutches. Please be safe. You can buy a secondary tool like mine (see pics) pretty cheap. If your taking out the Torx screws for the 1st time they might need some heat for the locktite. I would also suggest some good snap ring pliers. These are pics of my other old sled.

IMG_4812_1024.jpg IMG_4813_1024.jpg

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I like the helix. IRC TRS
Found the light purple scotch brite works better than the green. Bought some this past weekend and it really cleans clutch faces.

Your right, good advice. I only use the green ones on the belts. I used to use them on the clutch faces. When I did, I would only use light pressure to get the belt residue off because to hard and you can wear groves from your fingers. I never had this happen, put told its easy to do. Anyone have that happen?

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Originally Posted by bryceraisanen
Way to get after it! I send my clutches in when they're new too. Never had a crank problem.

I have a question that somewhat pertains though:

Everytime I do the belt tightening procedure, I end up with a belt that squeals at idle once I actually go riding. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Hey bryceraisanen, It's been a few years since I seen you at Haydays. I'll attach a printable sheet that you can take out to the garage when you do it. I also like to use a track stand and get it where the track starts to creep, then I back it off slightly to keep it from squealing. I adjust mine all the time and it keeps the belt in better shape (lasts longer) and runs cooler as well. During spring riding with wet heavy deep snow I even adjust it during the day in the field. IMO it's one of the most important adjustments you can make. Go small when making them, good luck!

This is a good write up that Indy Dan has on his site to further explain adjusting belt deflection:
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/a9a8d9_6ea22bb4ba0a4b3c8e655b7b746155b8.pdf

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
So, Ive been out west riding for a few weeks at different elevations. The lower (6000ft) elevations in CO had some good snow with a good base. The higher elevations (9-11,000) had great powder with little to no base where we were. Indy Specialty's clutching worked excellent in all these areas with simply changing the magnets. This 850 pulls nice! I also spent a couple days on an Alpha 1 again. Impressive sled, still glad I snow checked the 850.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
On the squeling with perfect deflection, try to ride it hard a bit before adjusting. Get everything as hot and swollen/expanded as it will get when riding, then your deflection should be bullseye!

Sent fra min S60 via Tapatalk

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Some people were asking questions about clutching here: (Indy Specialties or MDS clutch kit). Rather than repeating some of this I pulled it up for some of the pics and info. For you new guys or for people getting their sleds ready for the season now is the time to send off your clutches to a reputable shop before they get crazy busy. There are some notable differences on how companies change their adjustable weights as well as others have mentioned.

Last edited:

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Indy Specialty did the machining and balancing on my 2020 Khaos, super clean, right specs set, perfectly balanced and never needs balanced again! They did update a couple things for the lower elevation guys too, good stuff!

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
The new weights for the lower elevation are super accurate when I weighted all 3. These are the Mountain Mod Indy Specialty weights for 2020, still lots of room for more magnets if you add more power, and of course easy to take out weight to dial in perfect RPM when going up in elevation. When I weighted the 3 weights in the last pic they 2 were exactly the same the 3 was 0.1 gram different That is precise! IMG_8304.jpgIMG_8305.jpgIMG_8306.jpg

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
The new weights for the lower elevation are super accurate when I weighted all 3. These are the Mountain Mod Indy Specialty weights for 2020, still lots of room for more magnets if you add more power, and of course easy to take out weight to dial in perfect RPM when going up in elevation. When I weighted the 3 weights in the last pic they 2 were exactly the same the 3 was 0.1 gram different That is precise! View attachment 336531View attachment 336532View attachment 336533
I see lots of people like adjustable weights... curious- what is the proper way to adjust when there are 4 holes and each magnet is approx. 1 gram? For example if you need/want to add 2 grams are you loading just the heel? Holes 2&4 or 1&3? I would assume no matter how you do it the weight is shifting different from how it does when empty or loaded evenly all the way across? No matter how you load it with 2 grams, it about has to be different than adding a 2 gram heavier 10 series weight which is heavier across the entire weight(they just get wider as they get heavier).

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
In short how does one adjust for a +/- 200 rpm change LOL

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I see lots of people like adjustable weights... curious- what is the proper way to adjust when there are 4 holes and each magnet is approx. 1 gram? For example if you need/want to add 2 grams are you loading just the heel? Holes 2&4 or 1&3? I would assume no matter how you do it the weight is shifting different from how it does when empty or loaded evenly all the way across? No matter how you load it with 2 grams, it about has to be different than adding a 2 gram heavier 10 series weight which is heavier across the entire weight(they just get wider as they get heavier).
The best way for me to answer this is to use Indy Specialty adjustable weight overview and then the Mountain weight set up below. The 2 biggest advantages of adjustable weights is you can fine tune the weight for your riding style and the ability to run 1 set of weights to run from Sea level to mountain elevations. I ride each winter in Upper MI, WI, MT, CO, ID and Wyoming. I would need a lot of different weights if it wasn't for adjustable weights. https://www.indyspecialty.com/resources scroll down to the bottom and you will see these two references.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
The best way for me to answer this is to use Indy Specialty adjustable weight overview and then the Mountain weight set up below. The 2 biggest advantages of adjustable weights is you can fine tune the weight for your riding style and the ability to run 1 set of weights to run from Sea level to mountain elevations. I ride each winter in Upper MI, WI, MT, CO, ID and Wyoming. I would need a lot of different weights if it wasn't for adjustable weights. https://www.indyspecialty.com/resources scroll down to the bottom and you will see these two references.
Yeah I had IS clutching in my 2017 800... seemed like I would never be at the correct finish RPM by simply adding/subtracting a magnet from holes 1&2(2&3) for a 2k elevation change, which is what was recommended to me.

Wasn’t sure how others do it for going from say 10k to 8k... with the 10 series its as easy as going to a 2 gram heavier weight.

In the meantime I’ve gone back to 10 series for simplicitys sake and I ride everywhere from 2k to 12k. And only need 4 sets of weights... just seems easier to throw the correct weight in for the correct elevation and know what its gonna do.... not an attempt to bash, just looking for some insight on the proper way to load them for elevation changes.

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Your right, good advice. I only use the green ones on the belts. I used to use them on the clutch faces. When I did, I would only use light pressure to get the belt residue off because to hard and you can wear groves from your fingers. I never had this happen, put told its easy to do. Anyone have that happen?
I’ve been using green on my clutches for 25 years. I’ve never seen that happen, but.....”I’ve seen guys that can wreck an anvil with a rubber hammer”

Premium Features