• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My CAMSO "Conquer 280" experience with Tracks USA on AXYS 850

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Sorry, my post is going to be so negative.

Do a little research on the camso 2.8.
I have read more problems with deterioration, tearing, falling apart. Than any other track, ever. I have concluded that it has the shortest life span of any mountain track ever produced.

One positive, It does hook up well on firm snow when its new!

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
I've actually got some substantial time on this track and wrote Camso a list of pros and cons on it last year.

I whole heartedly agree on a couple of the negatives here that your stopping power is severely less with this track AND it takes a few hundred miles to break in.

After break in those paddles are incredibly soft. Put it on a sled deck next to any stock track from Polaris and you will see just how much softer it is in comparison. So soft that I actually prop a 2x4 under the skid when it's being sled decked.

I've personally got over 2000 miles now on a combination of a 156" and 162" conquer 280 and overall I love the track.

It most definitely trenches more than a 2.6", even after break in, but I think the 2.6" is one of the best tracks for getting up on top of the snow. I also think the 280 is WAY more playful than the 2.6" and when coupled on a 156" boosted sled the setup is a complete hoot unless you are trying to climb something straight and steep haha. But for re-entrys and goofing off it's a blast. This year I did the 162" version and I think it allows the longer track to feel a little more playful like it's shorter compadre. I have not boosted it yet, that will happen next week or the week after.

Durability has been identical or better than any of my 2.6" tracks but nowhere near as good as the old 2.4" tracks I had on the Pro chassis'.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I've actually got some substantial time on this track and wrote Camso a list of pros and cons on it last year.

I whole heartedly agree on a couple of the negatives here that your stopping power is severely less with this track AND it takes a few hundred miles to break in.

After break in those paddles are incredibly soft. Put it on a sled deck next to any stock track from Polaris and you will see just how much softer it is in comparison. So soft that I actually prop a 2x4 under the skid when it's being sled decked.

I've personally got over 2000 miles now on a combination of a 156" and 162" conquer 280 and overall I love the track.

It most definitely trenches more than a 2.6", even after break in, but I think the 2.6" is one of the best tracks for getting up on top of the snow. I also think the 280 is WAY more playful than the 2.6" and when coupled on a 156" boosted sled the setup is a complete hoot unless you are trying to climb something straight and steep haha. But for re-entrys and goofing off it's a blast. This year I did the 162" version and I think it allows the longer track to feel a little more playful like it's shorter compadre. I have not boosted it yet, that will happen next week or the week after.

Durability has been identical or better than any of my 2.6" tracks but nowhere near as good as the old 2.4" tracks I had on the Pro chassis'.

What do you think replacing the stock Series VII 174 3" with the Camso Conquer 280 would do for a bone-stock Axys 174 800?

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Let me preface this with it's 100% speculation cause I've never ridden a 174" of any size before. But in theory, I'd expect the sled to be a lot more playful given the difference in sled characteristics I noticed when swapping the 162" over. I've heard the 174" isn't as fun because of it's length and it requires lots of snow to be nimble. It's possible the 280 would allow some of the smaller track feels to come to life in the long track. Such as what Prayn4snow said, it takes less rider input for sidehills.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
What do you think replacing the stock Series VII 174 3" with the Camso Conquer 280 would do for a bone-stock Axys 174 800?
It would turn it into a trenching stuckfest machine.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Well, I finally have some good miles on this track with varying conditions. I did read some of the other info out there on this track and was really surprised at how some people take one persons option of his chewed up track that looks like it went through a meat grinder as to how all of them are gong to perform. Note: Camso did replace that track and changed the compound based on some initial failures.
I can only speak of my own experience and so take it with a grain of salt (or snow :face-icon-small-win)
Some people say this track trenches bad and some says it doesn't and gets up on the snow excellent. Well, which is it for me?
1st, this track is very very light weight compared to stock and other aftermarket tracks. This and a couple hundred mile break in makes a substantial difference. The track is stiff while new, and does soften up after some miles and acts much better. Because this track is about 20 pounds lighter it spins very quickly. Gearing down would make a big difference on this track, which I plan to do but wanted to test it with stock gearing first. 2nd, because its so light, clutching is gong to play a part in how well it performs as well. I have Indy Specialty clutching (machined to proper specs, balanced, weights, springs and helix) and this sled loves it!
When I swap back to the stock spring and helix, the track trenches more. With Indy Dan's helix it gets up on the snow better and makes this the funnest track Ive ever owned.
In the lower elevations of CO 6-8000' with a good base and a couple feet of fresh powder on top compared to the same sled, with a stock 2.6" track the 280 was very playful, didn't trench anymore or less than stock. It got up on the snow better and when coming to a stop seemed to float the same based on how far they were sunk in the snow. The 280 was hitting higher track speed as well (cant remember exactly how much so I won't post it).
In higher elevation 9-11,000, there was very deep bottomless powder with no reachable base. The only thing I changed was the adjustable weights for the elevation. I was worried because some said it trenched bad, mine however did excellent. In fact suppressing I didnt get stuck with this track up there even while going from sled to sled getting others unstuck. I swapped sleds with a few friends that have never rode the 280 and they loved it as well. I will say, the Skidoo 850 with the 165 16" wide track compared to my 155" did float better which is to be expected. The Alpha 1 with the 154" did trench more side by side, and I like that powder claw track, the rider is 20 pounds heaver than me even with 1 leg (big Marine).
As far as straight up or technical climbing I think this track rocks! When flipped from side to side and steep side hills it holds a line excellent.
Back in Upper MI the snow is over the hood deep and at least 4' of standing snow where we were riding in the trees. Its very tight here and technical riding is a must. Being able to choose going up or down to drop around obstructions quickly on a side hill, this track did excellent. I did slide out over some fallen trees and rocks and had to do some "pin and wiggles" where others thought for sure I would be stuck and it climbed right out. So far I'm loving this track. I will see how it holds up for the long haul. Early season and spring riding is when Im hardest on tracks. It does throw a roost!

Last edited:

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Are you boosted?

This is basically dead on with my assessment. Last year I had the 156" and this year I have the 162". Boosted vs boosted I prefer the 280 on the 162" application, with that being said, this year I also have better shocks in the rear. We all know shocks make a world of a difference.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Not boosted right now with a stock motor. I will be doing a build soon, not sure which combo I will go with right now. But as a stock sled/track combo this thing is amazing. I will be back out west for the month of March different places testing some other combos so I will post more as I get more miles. I enjoyed meeting up with other Snowest'ers the last few years that we swapped sleds for a bit.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Nice!! Under boost this track flat out moves some snow, similarly to the PC. On the 162" with boost it makes the sled fun again like I feel the 155" are.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I talked to Tony at TracksUSA about the damaged tracks that a few people had on another older post. He said he is very aware of those tracks and Camso didnt need to, but they warranted them. One was abused bad (rocks etc), and they Did change the compound from the early tracks for better life. Since then they haven't had any problems reported to them on this track.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
So there is lots of talk about running a longer track on a 155" sled. This has been done for years by hill climbers, but Chris and Doo are making it more mainstream now. If your wondering what will fit on your sled here is a clip of an e-mail conversation with me and Tony from TracksUSA. I would recommend calling or e-mailing him if you have any questions. Great guy to work with!

Feb 24 at 11:10 AM

Good Morning Robert,

In regards to our conversation about guys turning their 155” / 156” RMK’s into either 162” / 163”, here are some track options we can provide:

If fellows are running a 2.86” pitch track, this would be both chaincase and belt drive models but the snowmobile would have come with a 2.4” or 2.6” lug only, they would have the following choices:

1) 9105M Challenger Extreme 163 x 15 x 2.5 - https://www.tracksusa.com/Challenge...4&browse=-47154&shopBy=-13144&catalogId=-3693

2) 9231M Peak 163 x 15 x 2.5 - https://www.tracksusa.com/Peak-25-d...3&browse=-47154&shopBy=-13144&catalogId=-3693

Both of these tracks will be center ported which is made to interface with stock center extrovert sprocket (direct replacement, no modifications necessary).

If guys are running a 3.0” pitch track, chaincase models only that came with Series 7, 3” lug, they would have the following options:

1) 9220M Challenger X3 162 x 15 x 3 - https://www.tracksusa.com/Challenge...5&browse=-47154&shopBy=-13144&catalogId=-3693

This track is a solid center belt and does not accept the stock center port drive sprocket, it would require a drive sprocket change to Avid drivers ($260) and an anti-stab kit ($105) being it requires trimming rail tips.

2) 9220MSE Challenger X3 162 x 15 x 3 - https://www.tracksusa.com/Challenge...5&browse=-47154&shopBy=-13144&catalogId=-3693

This track is center ported and will accept stock center drive sprocket. It would be a direct replacement, no drive sprocket change or anti-stab kit required.

3) 9335M Conquer 162 x 15 x 2.8 - https://www.tracksusa.com/Conquer-2...0&browse=-47154&shopBy=-13144&catalogId=-3693

This track is also center ported and will accept the stock center drive sprocket allowing it also to be a direct replacement.

4) 9319M Challenger X3.2 162 x 15 x 3.2 - https://www.tracksusa.com/Challenge...4&browse=-47154&shopBy=-13144&catalogId=-3693

Also being center ported, this track option would be a direct replacement.

If individuals are wanting to go from 155” to 163”, we would have a rail extension for their application. As we found with your snowmobile though Robert, with the way our rail extensions are designed to interlock into the existing rail, we cannot extend from either 155” / 156” to 162”. If they were going to go that route, it would require the Ice Age rails. Guys can certainly take a 155” 2.86” pitch snowmobile, install 3.0” pitch drivers and install the 162” track.

If guys are running a stock 800 or 850, the original Polaris center drive sprockets will certainly work, they do have to run the tracks tight though to prevent ratcheting as they are already aware. If customers are running higher hp motors with 3.0” pitch tracks, we suggest they install extrovert sprockets to help prevent track / sprocket slippage. The reason being 3.0” pitch tracks will be running seven tooth drivers vs. 2.86” pitch tracks running eight tooth drivers. The smaller seven tooth 3.0” pitch driver has less track contact and requires the track to wrap around a smaller circumference which isn’t as efficient.

Hope you’re having a good weekend.

Tony Vruwink

10340 67th Ave SE

Lake Lillian, MN 56253

320-382-6128

www.TracksUSA.com

www.DirtTracksUSA.com

Description: Tracks USA Logo - Copy Dirt Tracks USA Logo

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Did they have a conquer 260 there? Did you check it out?

I did not look at them while I was there because it wouldn't fit without changing drivers.
Here is more info from Tony on the 260:

Good Morning,

The Conquer 260 is only available in 3.5” pitch. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but most people would prefer the extra 0.2” lug height and the more common 3.0” pitch.

Thank you -

Tony Vruwink

10340 67th Ave SE

Lake Lillian, MN 56253

320-382-6128

www.TracksUSA.com

www.DirtTracksUSA.com

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
"The reason being 3.0” pitch tracks will be running seven tooth drivers vs. 2.86” pitch tracks running eight tooth drivers."

Ummmm, did he forget that the Axys sleds with the 2.6 track come with 7T 2.86 drivers?

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
One thing I've been told by Camso in regards to the 3.5" pitch tracks is they don't recommend running those on turbo sleds. Due to horsepower vs load and the enormous space between lugs.

Haven't tried it but food for thought.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
you lost me at "vey light track, spins very quickly, going to gear it down"...

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
you lost me at "vey light track, spins very quickly, going to gear it down"...

I have been gearing down most of my mountain sleds for over 20 years. Im not looking for top speed off trail, but I am looking for higher track speed which I understand doesn't sound like it makes sense. I also do it for the other benefits for example my clutches stay consistently cooler. My belts stay cooler and last longer, the combos Ive ran the sled accelerates better (quick throttle response) in deep snow or steep climbs and under hood heat is reduced.

WAsledder

Premium Member
Nov 7, 2018
Cle Elum WA
I'm running a 3.5 pitch 280 with boost and after a lot of break in the track absolutely rips. This track ends up incredibly soft and once it get to this point it really performs.

Premium Features