• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

155 vs 163 for beginner

snowdog484

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Winsted, MN
For what it is worth. All my sleds have always been in the 150" range. My next one would be a 163"

K
Oct 7, 2018
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. Still undecided on which track length to go with. I tested a SkiDoo 850 and a Polaris 850 last week in a same day side by side comparison. The skidoo seemed to have better flotation but the Polaris was more predictable, which is what I liked. Both were 160's. I was set on getting a 163 but my buddy has a '13 Pro 155 and felt that his was easier to ride than the axys 163 and recommended I try that. Which is what brought me to the forums to ask. I will see if I can find somewhere to rent a 155 and 163. Thanks again for everyones input.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. Still undecided on which track length to go with. I tested a SkiDoo 850 and a Polaris 850 last week in a same day side by side comparison. The skidoo seemed to have better flotation but the Polaris was more predictable, which is what I liked. Both were 160's. I was set on getting a 163 but my buddy has a '13 Pro 155 and felt that his was easier to ride than the axys 163 and recommended I try that. Which is what brought me to the forums to ask. I will see if I can find somewhere to rent a 155 and 163. Thanks again for everyones input.

Keep in mind the Ski doo has a 16" wide track VS a 15" wide on the Polaris. That can change flotation on similar length tracks.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Hi Everyone,

I have been riding for the last couple of years and have finally decided to purchase my first mountain sled. I am not a high marker and am still learning how to ride. I’m 5’7” 180# fully geared. Can anyone help me understand why one would be better than the other for a beginner my size?

Thanks in advance.

Get the 155.

I'm 6'3" and 270+ lbs geared up ride weight, and 1/2 the time I'm riding my Switchback 144" along with a bunch of people on 16x and 17x sleds way the hell off the trails in the Wyoming mountains.

I only break my 174 out on the days I know its going to be deep.

The 155 would be a perfect all around mountain sled for you. 2.6" or 3", your choice. One is better in deep snow and worse in less-than deep snow, one is better in all around snow conditions but not quite as good in deep snow. Your choice, just be honest with yourself about how you ride 90% of the time :)

Also, for the folks saying the 174 is a "good" beginner sled.

I beg to differ. You buy and ride snowmobiles to have fun, and that thing will be nothing but a pure chore for someone, especially a beginner, to move around in anything less than 2' of new snow. That sled rides and handles *A LOT* differently than the 155s and 163s do because of the suspension geometry. If all you want to do is trail ride and ride open meadows with slightly less chance of getting stuck, you could make the argument the 174 is better than a 155, but my suggestion would be to learn how to ride the 155 and carry a bit more momentum in open meadows and not get stuck in the first place, then the other 90% of the time you're riding the 155 when you don't have a fresh 2' dump you have way more fun.

IMO, the 174 has its place, but its not for general-purpose all around riding. Point blank, it *SUCKS* in anything less than fresh snow ...

I'd go with the 155, thats probably the best all-around mountain sled you're gonna have.

Last edited:

WAsledder

Premium Member
Nov 7, 2018
Cle Elum WA
I think it all depends on where you ride. I live in Washington and ride heavy snow and we play in tight trees on steep slopes. I personally run a 155...everyone in my group rides 163's -174's. I love my sled and how playful it is but i have to commit to lines way sooner and hit things twice as hard to go the same places as the longer tracked sleds. I think a 163 is the perfect sled for our area. It's a lot more forgiving and tractors up lines. If all you ride is blower powder a 155 is fine, but if you're riding deep heavy snow flotation is your friend! Honestly you can't go wrong with any sled these days. The axys is amazing, the doo 850 is a monster and the new cats are beasts. Pick whatever dealer is closer/best and get out there. You'll have fun on any sled and that's what it's all about!

S
Feb 19, 2016
As a beginner, I would start with a 155 and work my way up. I can certainly see the benefits of longer sleds, but I think initially you are giving up more than you are gaining.

You will get mixed opinions from the group and their arguments are valid. The 155 is a good option to start with to learn and see what type of sledding you like best as this length can do it all and it forces you to learn technique.

Long tracks can be a blessing and a chore. If your riding is mixed, the longer tracks can be a bit of a battle as a beginner sled. Mind you, 155's are only recently considered "short" in mainstream sledding.

You will get stuck less in a 163/174, but have fun digging them out when you do.

Master the 155 then trade up.

With all that said, any sled on the mountain is better than no sled.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The 15x is more fun. There is a difference in handling vs the 16x. U have to ride a little faster in the deep snow but overall more playful and worth the extra effort.
I have one of each, old guys ride the longer sleds.
Riding style really is a huge factor in which would be better for u.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Yeah sorry. I live in Colorado. Most of my riding is at high elevation.

Even more reason to go long. Colorado is notorious for lighter snow, weird snowpack that is often hollow and funk that is more well suited to a longer track.

If you really want to learn to ride a sled, the longer track is simply the easier way to go. Even most top rung mountain pros ride longer tracks these days, and they do so all the time - big dump or not.

Most of us are out there looking for good snow. Yeah, we may have to do some survival riding to find it, but the goal is good snow. I imagine you'll be the same.

To me, you give up very little in terms of outright maneuverability but gain a lot of forgiveness when it comes to sticking the sled.

You can ride slower. You will have more time to react. And considering how light the sleds really are, its not a handful to throw it around.

I've watched 20 guys (and a few gals) get into the sport over the last 4 years. I've seen plenty start with a short track and go longer (myself included). Never seen someone go long and go back to a short track. Ever.

The learning curve is steep. Considering your weight (lighter side of things) and your location, go with a 163 Polaris or a 165 Doo. Done.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I had 2 159 (06-08)sleds and went back down to 153's for 9yrs(09-18) before i became old enough to go longer again.
If i was in better shape i would stick with the 153/154.

K
Oct 7, 2018
I'm curious. When you say a 155 is more playful. What do you mean by "playful"? Is there a big maneuverability difference? What is being lost by a few more inches of track? Just looking to understand what they determine to be more "playful"

Thanks

Q
Mar 11, 2011
Olds
163. In 2012, When I was relatively new to the sport and riding a 2002 summit ZX chassis, engine piled up in Revelstoke and ended up renting a sled for a day. Got a 2012 Pro 155, had a pile of fun on it in about 2' of fresh, played in the trees for the first time ever as my skills and my summit was not capable previously. About 1 o'clock the aftermarket tether started acting up and shutting the sled down, called the rental shop and they brang me the same sled in a 163". the 163 did everything with less effort, less throttle and less speed which made learning how to throw it around a bit without getting stuck WAY easier as I didn't have to keep the speed up, gave me time to think about where I wanted to go. I bought a 163 pro the next fall with zero regrets

I'm back on a 155 now in an axys chassis Because I wanted the ski's in the air more (more playful) which naturally happens the shorter you go.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I'm curious. When you say a 155 is more playful. What do you mean by "playful"? Is there a big maneuverability difference? What is being lost by a few more inches of track? Just looking to understand what they determine to be more "playful"

Thanks

Typically a 'more playful' sled will have better weight transfer, meaning that when you hit the gas, the skis will lift more. It will turn tighter, and it will be lighter and require less input to perform a desired maneuver.

Typically a 160s or 170s sled will be more planted and stable, but wont have the ski-lift or light, nimble feeling of a 150s sled, as well as the fact that it won't generally like to turn as tight. On the other hand, a 163 or 174 will stay on top of the snow better when there's no base to be had and keep going longer before getting stuck.

There are exceptions of course, and setup can play a huge role, but this is just a general rule.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Hi Guys,

Had my wife on a 155 and switched her to a 163, she is getting stuck WAY LESS
on the 163. She is having more fun and making it into way more places without getting stuck. In the past two years on the 163 her confidence has grown as she can ride slower in technical terrain. I would guess moving her to a 163 reduced her number of stucks by 70%. We do ride a lot of deep snow.

Premium Features