• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

West Yellowstone Riding

trail traveler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 29, 2014
WA state
Just got back

Any updates guys?

I have to imagine someone on this forum has been riding in the Yellowstone area :)

We just returned from our stay in West Yellowstone from 12/26 thru 1/4. We rode the trails only. Although more snow is needed, we were able to ride any and all trails we wanted. There were areas where you could feel your skis hitting rocks under the snow and maybe some patchy gravel or grass showing through. Overall, we enjoyed our stay. Since our departure, the snotel site shows that an additional 7 inches has accumulated. I think you should be ok to go have some fun.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Any updates? Thinking of coming out in a few weeks, but not sure their is adequate snow. How is it looking at the moment?

FarmerTimBob

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2014
We were out there the 21st and 22nd. Snow was good. And it was nuking when we left the 23rd.

D
Mar 6, 2003
MN
We rode 1/13-1/16 and the snowpack was a foot or two low by my estimation having gone on trips going back to 2004 or 2005 about this same time of year each year.

We had a good time, but getting stuck riding 850 RMK's was not a concern in these conditions. Interestingly the trails were in outstanding shape (not why we go out there, but made for nice rides in and out of town). We ended up going to all of the usual places and most areas were very tracked up and in need of snow. In Lionshead pretty much every hill had slid either naturally or triggered by snowmobilers which had us on edge and hesitant to climb on that side of town.

The good news is they have got some significant storms per weather.com, so it should be better now.

I'm headed back out next Tuesday and can give an update on what we find if interested.

jd524

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2013
Central Minnesota
We rode 1/13-1/16 and the snowpack was a foot or two low by my estimation having gone on trips going back to 2004 or 2005 about this same time of year each year.

We had a good time, but getting stuck riding 850 RMK's was not a concern in these conditions. Interestingly the trails were in outstanding shape (not why we go out there, but made for nice rides in and out of town). We ended up going to all of the usual places and most areas were very tracked up and in need of snow. In Lionshead pretty much every hill had slid either naturally or triggered by snowmobilers which had us on edge and hesitant to climb on that side of town.

The good news is they have got some significant storms per weather.com, so it should be better now.

I'm headed back out next Tuesday and can give an update on what we find if interested.

Thanks, Dom. I’ll be headed out there in a few weeks and would appreciate future updates

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C
Nov 26, 2007
I appreciate the updates. We will probably be out there in a few weeks for a guided tour inside the park. Sounds like their is plenty of snow for that.

D
Mar 6, 2003
MN
Yes, the trails will be outstanding. I commented to a buddy and we do ALOT of snowmobiling, that the trails couldn’t have been better when we were out there. Since then they have received feet of snow at elevation. You will have a nice time!

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
just got back last night. I would say the snow pack is def on the low side but they had just gotten close to 3' so our trip was awesome. sounds like 12-18" coming this weekend so it should be great

D
Mar 6, 2003
MN
We rode last Wed-Fri (2/6-2/9) and had a great trip. Wednesday morning we were the first into Lionshead and the conditions were very good with fresh powder everywhere, bluebird skies, and a good snowpack. Tuesday rode a smaller area toward Big Sky off the beaten path for most of the day and then went into cabin for a few hours and again had a outstanding day. I spun 180 miles on the odometer in the first two days and needed the extra fuel on the back both days because we were having a ball (all off trail other then getting there and back). Some of the best riding I have ever had in West. Friday we rode Red Canyon and it was pretty tracked up, but we found a few places to play and had a average to below average day.

The upside is they have great snow now and I believe the forecast is for it to keep coming.

The downside is there were a ton of sleds in town so things got tracked up very quickly. I wouldn't be exaggerating to estimate I saw 50+ sleds in Lionshead on our way out Wednesday and on Thursday/Friday Cabin and Red were pretty much done by the end of the day.

A great trip as always and I'm sure anyone headed out in the next few weeks will also have a great time!

Last edited:
L
Dec 5, 2007
Nampa, ID
West Yellowstone area

Just got back today. Cut our trip short. Snow is great once you get back in there. However some say the groomer is broke...... some say the snow and warmer temp is to blame, but the trails to Two Top and also the Big Sky trail into Cabin Creek are beyond brutal. I have never see the trail system in this bad of condition on a long weekend and I frequently ride West Yellowstone area. A lot of excuses around town as to the reason for the unbearable trails. On a good note it's a great town to support the small businesses. Always been treated well there.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just got back today. Cut our trip short. Snow is great once you get back in there. However some say the groomer is broke...... some say the snow and warmer temp is to blame, but the trails to Two Top and also the Big Sky trail into Cabin Creek are beyond brutal. I have never see the trail system in this bad of condition on a long weekend and I frequently ride West Yellowstone area. A lot of excuses around town as to the reason for the unbearable trails. On a good note it's a great town to support the small businesses. Always been treated well there.

I have NEVER seen the trails in this bad of shape in the last 10 years over a major weekend.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Snowmobile Reports – West Yellowstone

Trails Groomed by West Yellowstone, MT • 406-646-7750 or 406-646-7701

Snowmobilers: When using any of the plowed parking areas please be courteous and considerate of others. Move to another riding or parking area if there is no room in the lot and please don’t block other users from exiting.
Warning! Extreme Avalanche Danger!
Use caution at all elevations!

<table style="height: 492px;" width="1201"><thead><tr><th align="left">Trail</th><th align="left">Last Groomed</th><th align="left"> </th></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td align="left">BPA Powerline/Railroad</td><td align="left">2/8/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Big Sky</td><td align="left">2/16/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Cougar Creek</td><td align="left">2/16/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Horse Butte</td><td align="left">2/17/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Lionhead</td><td align="left">2/18/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Little Snowy</td><td align="left">2/18/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Madison Arm Trail</td><td align="left">2/18/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Power Line West of Town</td><td align="left">2/18/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">South Plateau Trail</td><td align="left">2/17/19</td><td align="left">Be Aware of the Park Boundary! Snowmobiles must not cross into the Park!</td></tr><tr><td align="left">—– Whiskey Trail</td><td align="left">2/17/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">—– Black Bear Cut Off</td><td align="left">2/17/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">South Plateau to Jct. 23</td><td align="left">2/12/19</td><td align="left">Be Aware of the Park Boundary! Snowmobiles must not cross into the Park!</td></tr><tr><td align="left">—– Whiskey Trail</td><td align="left">2/12/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Two Top Loop Trail via South Fork</td><td align="left">2/17/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Two Top Loop Trail via Mosquito</td><td align="left">2/18/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Junction 8</td><td align="left">2/16/19</td></tr></tbody></table>

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Snowmobile Reports – Idaho

Trails Groomed by Fremont County, ID • 208-624-7266 • website

Remember all snowmobiles, regardless of their state/province of origin, are required to purchase an Idaho snowmobile registration. It is the law. All recreation vehicles operating over snow in the winter are required to purchase a snowmobile sticker (A summer OHV sticker is not valid for this activity in the winter). The sticker pays for grooming, plowing of the parking lots and all snowmobile related activities. Without your contribution to the county grooming programs, grooming and parking lot plowing will cease to exist.

<table style="height: 1140px;" width="857"><thead><tr><th align="left">Trail</th><th align="left">Last Groomed</th><th align="left">Comments:
Avalanche conditions continue. Please avoid Twin Creek and Black Canyon Trails and the Centennial (Mt. Jefferson)
mountain range!!!
</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td align="left">Baker Draw</td><td align="left">2/15/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Big Springs Loop</td><td align="left">2/18/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Black Canyon Trail</td><td align="left">2/9/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Cave Falls Trail</td><td align="left">2/10/19</td><td align="left">— Idaho’s corner of Yellowstone NP!</td></tr><tr><td align="left">Centennial Loop</td><td align="left">2/13/19</td><td align="left">— Lower</td></tr><tr><td align="left">Chick Creek Trail</td><td align="left">2/17/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Eccles Trail</td><td align="left">2/8/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Fish Creek – Lower</td><td align="left">2/4/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Fish Creek – Upper</td><td align="left">2/15/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Flagg Ranch Trail/Grassy Lake</td><td align="left">2/9/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Green Canyon</td><td align="left">2/13/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Island Park Business Area (Island Park Village to Last Chance)</td><td align="left">2/18/19</td><td align="left">— Stamp Meadows
— Flat Rock Trail
— Poleline Trail
— Box Canyon Trail</td></tr><tr><td align="left">Meadow Creek</td><td align="left">2/18/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Highway 47/Mesa Falls Scenic Byway</td><td align="left">2/17/19</td><td align="left">— Warm River Springs Trail
— Wood Road One Trail
— Lower Mesa Falls
— Upper Mesa Falls</td></tr><tr><td align="left">Rea’s Pass</td><td align="left">2/18/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Sawtelle Trail/Bootjack</td><td align="left">2/18/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">South Antelope Trail</td><td align="left">2/18/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Two Top Trail/Twin Creek</td><td align="left">2/18/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Valley View /Targhee Pass Trail</td><td align="left">2/8/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Warm River Trail</td><td align="left">2/8/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">Warm River Springs Trail</td><td align="left">2/8/19</td><td align="left"> </td></tr><tr><td align="left">West Henry’s Lake Flat</td><td align="left">1/30/19</td></tr></tbody></table>

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
We were in West riding 2/10 to 2/15. Stayed at a cabin north of town, near the bar formerly known as Einos. (which was closed...)

They groomed north past us early in the week, and again Friday, I think, but turned around at the highway both times. Trail across the highway toward Cabin never got groomed. It was brutal the first day, and only got rougher as the week went on, so we ended up ditch banging west on 287 and up the Madison Valley singletrack.

Seemed like on the days we went through town, there was very little groomed there as well. I would certainly believe they were down to one groomer, and if I recall the grooming report, there were a few days where nothing got groomed.

As I get more involved with our club's grooming team, I realize that finding operators willing to volunteer their time for grooming is increasingly difficult. Just curious if West is possible seeing some of this difficulty. Grooming sure wasn't what it has been in the past...

On another downer note, visibility sucked for our entire trip. We usually get one or two sunny days, but not this year... By the end of the week, it was getting deep up by Cabin Creek, but riding by feel is a lot of work!

Wife and I are heading back up for Expo weekend to pick up a sled. Hopefully we'll get some riding in too, as I doubt we'll be too into just watching snowcross races all day...

Anyone else going that might want to ride? Or want to split a cabin? I don't think we care where we go, but with the wife on a newer sled, we'll probably stay away from the really technical stuff. I'd like to ride two tops if we get a clear day, but the trails might be pretty crazy with expo going on...

Premium Features