• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker Sidekick Auto, new Ascender model.

T
Dec 14, 2011
Bozeman, MT
Alpha Sidekick

Looking for answers on F47 kit, has large low end bog. Playing with fuel but can't seem to get rid of the bog at 1/4 throttle. Happens when loading it up, getting out of throttle and getting back into. Wondering if anyone else has an issue or anything to look for? Have updated module ending in "4b" and 170 miles no change to the bog since day 1. Thanks

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Looking for answers on F47 kit, has large low end bog. Playing with fuel but can't seem to get rid of the bog at 1/4 throttle. Happens when loading it up, getting out of throttle and getting back into. Wondering if anyone else has an issue or anything to look for? Have updated module ending in "4b" and 170 miles no change to the bog since day 1. Thanks

What year is the sled?

T
Dec 14, 2011
Bozeman, MT
2019 Alpha, running boondockers newest kit. Seems like everyone says its fuel but I've been changing to fix it. Then maybe break-in depending how long the actual break in lasts. Not exactly what I expected from sidekick

manlye

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2009
I have the same bog with the box ending in 4B, if you read Facebook they are ripping, then when you look closer the unit has an adjustable box on it, they must have issues with the map again. I did not expect this from a sidekick as well.

T
Dec 14, 2011
Bozeman, MT
Same Bog

They have given me multiple bull**** reasons and haven't claimed that there is an issue. First it was fuel and I ran it all the way down to straight 91 to eliminate their excuse on "too rich". Then it was elevation and still has the exact same bog from 10k down to 5k. I'm pissed off this is my first sled turbo and I am ready to take it off, almost enough to sell the alpha and go back to doo. Even though its not anything to cat, it is ruining my experience of spending 20+ on a machine that runs like **** on the bottom end.

S

skidder

Jan 25, 2010
They have given me multiple bull**** reasons and haven't claimed that there is an issue. First it was fuel and I ran it all the way down to straight 91 to eliminate their excuse on "too rich". Then it was elevation and still has the exact same bog from 10k down to 5k. I'm pissed off this is my first sled turbo and I am ready to take it off, almost enough to sell the alpha and go back to doo. Even though its not anything to cat, it is ruining my experience of spending 20+ on a machine that runs like **** on the bottom end.
I have a 2019 alpha with the latest BD sidekick also. My sled is having the same issues your describing here. Talked to BD they said your octane is too high ect ect. I chose BD over Silber because I had good luck with BD in the past but this sled does no run like it should. If you come up with a solution please post.

B
Dec 12, 2014
I have a 2019 alpha with the latest BD sidekick also. My sled is having the same issues your describing here. Talked to BD they said your octane is too high ect ect. I chose BD over Silber because I had good luck with BD in the past but this sled does no run like it should. If you come up with a solution please post.

Same here. Have a 2018 MC with the sidekick with the update from BD last spring that requires 50/50 mix. When full throttle and letting off and then getting back on there is a bog or hesitation before builds back up and that sometimes about throws you over the handlebars it’s that bad of bog sometimes. Doesn’t always do it but it’s still really concerning. I’ve heard of people having issues with some sensor in the throttle that cuts out sled too idk I wouldn’t think that would be related but maybe?

manlye

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2009
I’ve been over the handlebars with the bog, it sucks..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S

skidder

Jan 25, 2010
Is Boondocker not listening??? My customer is asking me to remove this from his unit now, then what do I do send it back to Boondocker?

I expected better when I sold this kit maybe ill try silber instead

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hey guys,

Just catching up on the threads. I will pass this info forward and get back to you. We have heard of the bog you are describing. Not everyone, but it's out there.

There are some considerations for you in the meantime. Break in mode is slow in timing and very rich. For new Alpha installs that will effect your sled greatly.

Also, rather than give a shout out for help on line, I ask each of you experiencing a problem to contact you dealer. Have your dealer contact their rep and/or call the office and ask for the Tech support line. We need this information to log and reconcile. Communicating in that process will greatly help ! We are committed to 100% support, but we need to hear from you and your dealer directly.

Thank you everyone!

T
Dec 14, 2011
Bozeman, MT
Been trying to communicate with dealer but time we took it out it wasn't doing it in the short ride we took to test. Ran fine on 3 other rides but very short rides. 400 miles on the machine and hasn't changed anything from break in. Ive done every type of fuel ratio and none of them solved it.

Anyone try to move that map sensor further away from exhaust? I saw some people were moving them on last years machines. Also planning on doing a snorkel to see if it needs more air even though the vents are clear.

Ive found the bog to be within 4300-5800 RPMs so theres really not a spot that it favors the issue. Rather depends on the amount of loading up the sled before getting off the throttle and back in once you need it. This machine has put me in some rather terrible situations with the bog. 3 days ago I lost power and had to dive back into a tree which went past it like usual but brake lever broke in process. I'd carry a spare brake lever or upgrade to billet. Only bad thing with billet is could break the housing if the break lever doesn't snap off first.

Hope they figure this thing out because I had a lot of fun playing on the ol 850 while I was down with brake lever.

S

skidder

Jan 25, 2010
Your spot on with your comments and the one I'm working on is exactly the same. I have contacted boondocker directly their tech line and awaiting response. I too have tried all different fuel ratio's as that is what Joel told me to do but no change.

Funny you mention the brake lever...................... the same thing happened to me....... $100 plastic brake lever unreal eh.

this sled will be an animal once that is figured out......

Can you remove the boondocker box and have Silber flash the ecu?

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I am communicating with the office and Tech department this morning. I am assuming they will log the data in that bog area and have an update tune available. Yes, when the little tweaks come together, she is a beast! I will keep you posted on an update tune.

B
Dec 12, 2014
I am communicating with the office and Tech department this morning. I am assuming they will log the data in that bog area and have an update tune available. Yes, when the little tweaks come together, she is a beast! I will keep you posted on an update tune.

That would be awesome it is much needed! The top end of the turbo and sled run flawlessly and right with the 850's. However the bottom and mid range bog after being wide open and letting off and then getting on again has been a killer this year putting me in some bad situations climbing and sidehilling in technical terrain. I Contacted Boondocker directly and like the others on this thread were told it was running too much 110 octane fuel running the advised 50/50 mix. Glad this is getting noticed and looking forward to the solution. Thanks Randy! Side note, I also did the update this summer for the 50/50 tune which helped the top end over the pump gas tune. a lot more power just need to get the bog issue dealt with and it will be one fun sled!

T
Dec 14, 2011
Bozeman, MT
That would be awesome! Quick question for those with the bog. Are you running clutching that BD sent with kit or have you changed setups? I get 8350 on top end but maybe mid range isn't working with BDs current tune. Trying to find any ideas on getting the machine out of issue.

S
Jan 20, 2009
Stock

I had my 2019 Alpha bog several times in stock condition. I fully expected it to happen with the turbo and sure enough on day one it about sent me over the bars. I suspect there is an issue with cats tuning, not the turbo kit.

B
Dec 12, 2014
That would be awesome! Quick question for those with the bog. Are you running clutching that BD sent with kit or have you changed setups? I get 8350 on top end but maybe mid range isn't working with BDs current tune. Trying to find any ideas on getting the machine out of issue.

Running the clutching BD sent with the kit. Everything else on sled is stock but the turbo kit and BD clutch setup which consist of a different spring and heavier weights. Right at 8250 at 10,500+ feet.

B
Dec 12, 2014
I had my 2019 Alpha bog several times in stock condition. I fully expected it to happen with the turbo and sure enough on day one it about sent me over the bars. I suspect there is an issue with cats tuning, not the turbo kit.

I really hope something is done about this though. Pretty ridiculous you pay 12k+ for a new sled at LEAST and then dump 4k on the turbo and sled still bogs. Im a cat guy at heart but I gotta say everyone else in the group rides 850 Doos with boondocker sidekicks on and they are crisp and super responsive and never miss a beat. Sure the top end of a AC sidekick runs side by side with them but soon as you go on and off the throttle it screws a guy hard in situations where you need to let off, make an adjustment and get back into it...Like you say this seems to be a problem with Cat. Cat claims is a wire grounding out on back side of the fuel rails. BD claims its over octane and to go less than 50/50 when above 10k feet. Wont be settling for a new sled and turbo running like crap.

Premium Features