• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I thought these 850's had weak front ends?

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
I'm really sorry you feel that way. So you're basically saying we should all just give up, run the loudest exhaust we can because it doesn't really matter because they don't like sleds, have more money, etc.

With that mentality we should all ride in non-motorized zones and Wilderness areas to right?

I'm not telling anybody they can't run loud sleds. I'm asking them to think about the repercussions from doing it and posting videos that depict it. Not just themselves but for all sledders. Big difference.

I couldn't change your mind so I guess I should give up too?

BTW, can you please answer the 2 questions I asked.

1) Do those loud sleds really need to be that loud?
2) Is there anything that could be done to help quiet them down to the level of the quieter sled and still allow you to climb that hill and have fun??

I think you missed understood. I'll try answering your questions.
I never advocated someone to break the law. Wilderness area or non-motorized zones are against the law to ride in....noise on a snowmobile is not. Some riding zones have noise restrictions but these are usually for atv or motorcycle, I don't know of any for snowmobile....besides Yellowstone. Liberals will try to make it against the law and I think we need to fight it based on principles and not on "I don't like its" or "do you really need its". I'm not for loud sleds but I'm not for getting ride of them.

Question #2: Yes. Sleds don't need to be loud and still be able to climb.

Question #1: No. They don't. But now you start a downward spiral that will never stop. When does it stop. So, I answered your question....will you answer or at least think more about what you're advocating? Remember the "I don't like its" or "do you really need its".

#1: Do people need guns? And if yes, them how many should someone be allowed to own? (Handguns, Assault rifles)
#2: Does someone really need to be able to ride a snowmobile? Most are used for pleasure and not work....one doesn't really need a sled.
#3: Does someone really need a vacation home? Nope...so why should we allow it? Think about the environment.
#4: Do people really need lifted diesel trucks with big tires?
#5: Do people really need to hunt for food?
ETC... you can go on and on.

One could argue NO for all of them and all of these questions people have tried and still try to make them against the law, because they don't like them. The only way to change someone's mind is to change their ideology, which for some is almost impossible because ones ideology is formed by years of trial and error. Teach your kids young.

Teach people good principles and let them govern themselves.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
(QUOTE=When they were getting sleds out of Yellowstone park the liberal media posted a photo of 2 stroke smoke, on a cold morning, with Rangers wearing gas masks. All the manufacturers meet the fleet average for epa. Do you think that makes any difference? They just wanted them out. All the studies and surveys, that I seen, had a far left bias. That is what we are dealing with.)

Don't forget about them renting sleds, riding them in out of bounds areas while filming it and using the film for propaganda videos against snowmobilers access to the Yellowstone park. The Forest Service is very liberal.

(QUOTE=If you are on the right and don't want to snowmobile, you just don't ride one. If you are on the left and don't want to snowmobile, you don't want anyone else to either. That is really what we are dealing with.)

We'll said. Liberals at their finest. AND THEY NEVER STOP TRYING.

Last edited:

Damman

Lifetime Membership
Mar 7, 2011
More noise, less trails

Number 1 reason we loose riding areas is noise. Whatever little power is gained is ruining our sport. If you want more power -get a bigger engine or learn to ride better. Seems that most people with the loudest pipes are the ones with the biggest trucks, largest trailers etc - must be trying to compensate in all aspects of their lives for "short comings" they can't control!

A

aj1180

Dec 17, 2009
waukon ia
I have a buddy that put an aftermarket can on his 850 and actually lost power. It was really loud though and sounded like it had more power. It lost rpm and wouldn't keep up with an equally set up sled without the can. I'm not going to get in the middle of the noise fight. It "should" be a free country so I say run what you want. However, why would anybody possibly sacrifice performance just for additional noise? There are certain aftermarket cans that add power to the 850 and some that don't. They will all shed weight. If you really want a can, make sure you do your homework and choose wisely. Some of the best can's will not be the loudest.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Number 1 reason we loose riding areas is noise. Whatever little power is gained is ruining our sport. If you want more power -get a bigger engine or learn to ride better. Seems that most people with the loudest pipes are the ones with the biggest trucks, largest trailers etc - must be trying to compensate in all aspects of their lives for "short comings" they can't control!

You might be right about that but I would like to see real evidence behind that claim and not anecdotal evidence. Along with that, I would also like to know whether it's just the really loud sleds or all sleds. Loud....subjective term....what's loud to one is not to another and so on. So, you might think you're behind the fight only to find out you're on the front line and part of the problem with your so called quite sled. Don't fight yourself on this one.

Last edited:
M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
Thanks for the vid! Pretty cool with 2 views of alot of the climbs.

I have one question on loud sleds. Why do snowmobiles which usually travel in the middle of nowhere get slammed and motorcycles which usually operate in much more densely populated areas run around with heart stopping exhaust noise like it's normal. Man I hate it when I am driving my vehicle and one of those stupid motorcycles goes by me and my heart skips a beat as I think for a second my motor fell out of my pickup or something.

to answer your question, the reason bikes, mostly Harleys, have loud exhaust is because of the nimrod drivers out there that don't pay attention when driving. if they don't see me, at least they will hear me.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
to answer your question, the reason bikes, mostly Harleys, have loud exhaust is because of the nimrod drivers out there that don't pay attention when driving. if they don't see me, at least they will hear me.

Sorry never have and never will buy that argument.

If you are not the one looking out for yourself when you are on a bike the nimrod may just be you for relying on your exhaust noise.
There is a bit more to being save on a bike -- a loud exhaust is not part of it. And annoying others has never been a great safety policy anyway.

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
Sorry never have and never will buy that argument.

If you are not the one looking out for yourself when you are on a bike the nimrod may just be you for relying on your exhaust noise.
There is a bit more to being save on a bike -- a loud exhaust is not part of it. And annoying others has never been a great safety policy anyway.

u sound like someone who has never ridden a bike on public road. whatever, your entitled to your opinion.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Yes this is a f*cked up read for sure -- how did we get from Frond end integrity to scaring little old ladies with straight piped Harley's:face-icon-small-dis

At 19 packed my bike and left home started traveling -- 30 years later I still ride bikes , and my sled has a Can on it although not a very loud one. The R 985 on my Beaver sounds a lot better than straight piped harley any day. All that said i will avoid annoying others with unnecessary noise -- be it the Bike Sled or Beaver. I guess I have enough fun every day I don't need to be Ignorant.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
How's this ?
I don't bye this whole flimsy front end , you want protection get the reinforcements that are offered .

Story time ,
I was leading threw a tight tree section on a night ride and as soon as it opened up I threw my arm up to warn the guy behind me on a new 800 . Unfortunately for him he ignored my warning and double pumped the throttle . It was to late he flew over a creek and cased the other side so hard that his machine was no less than ten feet in the air after impact and it flew the distance of no less fifty feet .
Went back the next day with another guy and took photos that I sent the guy we'll call Gimpy .
His machine blew a crater down to the frozen ground and after impact he and the machine separated . This is when it gets good , so I drove up to him and looked down and asked him if he's ok before I start laughing hysterically . He's not quite sure but he did look funny with the way his arm was positioned above his head , dislocated because the machine tried to rip his arms off . I gave him the option of putting it back in place but he would have nothing to do with it , must of had something to do with me laughing at him . So he did it himself .

The shop looked it over and couldn't find anything wrong because the machine must of done what it was designed to do . Broken modules and front ends don't just happen . To provoke a problem the machine has to be put into a position it was not designed for .

Gimpy wasn't so fortunate , the quacks cut him up shortened a few ligaments and reattached them .

Granted it's not an 850 and even the Revs got blamed for beer can front ends because of driver error . Doo has a line up that no other manufacture even comes close to maybe some guys are purchasing the wrong model .

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I see Sharp is the only person that answered my questions. Thank you Sharp.

Does anybody else have the guts? Or are the only guts you have giving negative rep?

LOL. Shouldn't surprise me.

Somebody please convince me why you must run those silencers (oxymoron)??
Why are those sleds better than the stock sounding sled?

No wonder Greenies hate us so much. Our attitude is to tell people F-you when someone complains about the noise!!! There's no need for it.

Sorry guys, I'm hoping my 10 year old daughter will still have access to the areas I have had the chance to ride. As these machines access much more area much easier, we need to be good citizens and do what's best for our sport.

That stock sounding Gen4 in the video posted was doing just fine. And I will argue he was doing better than the ridiculous sounding sleds.

I'm sure some of you don't care, will be out of the sport the first time you can't make your payments on your sled when you lose your job, get your girlfriend pregnant, etc.

Thanks

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
http://gemstatepatriot.com/blog/kiss-idaho-goodbye/

Do you think these groups really care if you sled is loud or quite. NOPE.

Who cares what they think. What about the people who actually make the decisions? If someone can show objective proof of a decibel level being insanely high from a snowmobile it doesn't look good for any of us.

Your response is as redneck as it gets. From the ignorant/illogical part all the way to the inability to correctly spell "quiet".

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Who cares what they think. What about the people who actually make the decisions? If someone can show objective proof of a decibel level being insanely high from a snowmobile it doesn't look good for any of us.

Your response is as redneck as it gets. From the ignorant/illogical part all the way to the inability to correctly spell "quiet".

Sharp is right. They don't care. They just want them out of there. If snowmobiles were electric they would still want them out of there. Now since you're so cranky, I have to ask, and forgive me if I am wrong, but I think you stated that you voted for Obama in another post. That did more to detriment our cause than any aftermarket can ever:face-icon-small-sho.

D
Mar 13, 2014
I see Sharp is the only person that answered my questions. Thank you Sharp.

Does anybody else have the guts? Or are the only guts you have giving negative rep?

LOL. Shouldn't surprise me.

Somebody please convince me why you must run those silencers (oxymoron)??
Why are those sleds better than the stock sounding sled?

No wonder Greenies hate us so much. Our attitude is to tell people F-you when someone complains about the noise!!! There's no need for it.

Sorry guys, I'm hoping my 10 year old daughter will still have access to the areas I have had the chance to ride. As these machines access much more area much easier, we need to be good citizens and do what's best for our sport.

That stock sounding Gen4 in the video posted was doing just fine. And I will argue he was doing better than the ridiculous sounding sleds.

I'm sure some of you don't care, will be out of the sport the first time you can't make your payments on your sled when you lose your job, get your girlfriend pregnant, etc.

Thanks

I have goten 3 girlfriends pregnant and still have my sled. I also put oil in my gas so it smokes more.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Sharp is right. They don't care. They just want them out of there. If snowmobiles were electric they would still want them out of there. Now since you're so cranky, I have to ask, and forgive me if I am wrong, but I think you stated that you voted for Obama in another post. That did more to detriment our cause than any aftermarket can ever:face-icon-small-sho.

Haha I might have said it I used to troll a fair amount of people in the off topic area, but I haven't bothered to vote the last 2 elections. Red always wins in my state, but if that was to change I certainly would be voting. When I move to Colorado I'll be certain to vote red ;)

Great example of a liberal. Is when someone falls back on name calling without an explanation. This usually follows when they lose an arguement.

For someone with the username "sharp" you are anything but huh fella? I gave a fairly eloquent response in the first 3 sentences of my post try going back and rereading it. I wasn't arguing either side just stating a fact that objective proof of loud noise from snowmobiles isn't good for keeping areas open.

The "if you don't like me fk you!" attitude is childish at best.

Premium Features