• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I think this is part of our belt and clutch issues

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Mountain View, Wyoming 82939
On many of our 850's there is a ridge on the inside of the fixed clutch half where the two different metals meet. This ridge is wearing into the side of the belt. Only on the engine side of belt. Creates two different angles on that side of belt and only half the belt contacts the clutch once it starts shifting out. This has got to be causing some quicker belt wear, slippage, and clutch heat. The first pic shows the ridge in clutch. The second picture shows my belt removed and the shape of the ridge worn into the inside of belt. About 300 miles on belt.

IMG_1670.jpg IMG_1671.jpg

C

cheater35

Mar 10, 2011
Brainerd, MN
750 miles on my 165x2.5" and absolutely no belt issues what so ever. Hand warmers are hot, no broken bulkhead yet. It is a treat to ride. The more I ride it the more I like it. Effortless to ride. Jmo.?

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Yes the belt never rides there when the sled is moving but it still rides there when you chop the throttle or idling and it wears the center of belt thinner during this time. It obviosly rides there enough that it has
changed the shape of the side of the belt on one side.
Then when belt engages and rides up the fixed half of clutch, only the outside of belt is making contact with the fixed half, instead of the whole width of belt.
I have never had a belt wear in this odd way on any of my prior sleds. The movable half is making full contact on side of belt. The fixed half is only making contact with 2/3's of the side of belt.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
750 miles on my 165x2.5" and absolutely no belt issues what so ever. Hand warmers are hot, no broken bulkhead yet. It is a treat to ride. The more I ride it the more I like it. Effortless to ride. Jmo.?

Just wait and don't speak too soon. You may regret it. I had no issues either and only one blown belt. Now at 1,500 miles I've been down for three weeks. One issue gets fixed then it's something else. It was fried wiring harnesses, then a bad injector, and now something else electrical. Awesome sled when you can ride it, but the winter is too short for all this down time.

I'll have to look at my belts to see if they have the same wear issue. Lots of theories out there.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Just wait and don't speak too soon. You may regret it. I had no issues either and only one blown belt. Now at 1,500 miles I've been down for three weeks. One issue gets fixed then it's something else. It was fried wiring harnesses, then a bad injector, and now something else electrical. Awesome sled when you can ride it, but the winter is too short for all this down time.

I'll have to look at my belts to see if they have the same wear issue. Lots of theories out there.

I've seen a few pictures of clutches they looked like they weren't pressed together right. The steel part was out 1/8" or so past the sheeve. It would definitely rub the belt wrong every time you started out or idled. Sucks that you're having down time. It is damn frustrating.

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
I've seen a few pictures of clutches they looked like they weren't pressed together right. The steel part was out 1/8" or so past the sheeve. It would definitely rub the belt wrong every time you started out or idled. Sucks that you're having down time. It is damn frustrating.

Fortunately I haven't had any down time yet and haven't blown apart any belts yet. But still having some heat and belt wear issues. In 620 miles I have worn two belts to the point I run out of deflection adjustment and performance starts to drop.

Premium Features